Inductor question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inductor question

If I need a 0.05mH inductor (in the diagram, L2 has 50uH, but 50uH = 0.05mH), but can't find any, is it okay to use 2 0.025mH inductors? If so, do the normal inductor rules apply (spacing, etc.) or does putting them in series mean you can violate the normal rules?

Plus, how big of a difference would just substituting a 0.1mH create? There seem to be a lot of those floating around.

I'm trying to collect all my materials to work over the July 4 weekend, and the 0.05mH inductors are on backorder. I'm worried that I won't have all the xover parts by July 4 if I don't find a workaround.

This is for the Lineup F4 in the top post here:
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...D4-D44-R4-R44)

Unfortunately, I'm not savvy with the design software (I don't own a windows box, at all, either), so I can't really sim the changes myself.

Re: Inductor question

Ygm.

Comment

Originally posted by scardeal View Post
      If I need a 0.05mH inductor (in the diagram, L2 has 50uH, but 50uH = 0.05mH), but can't find any, is it okay to use 2 0.025mH inductors? If so, do the normal inductor rules apply (spacing, etc.) or does putting them in series mean you can violate the normal rules?

Plus, how big of a difference would just substituting a 0.1mH create? There seem to be a lot of those floating around.
      Yes, you can add inductors in series. Yes, you still need to observe the rules for inductor orientation. The best thing would be to unwind a 0.10mH until you reach 0.05mH. But without an inductance meter that's not really an option for you though. Don't just stick in the 0.10mH as it will most likely alter the intended filter by more than it should.

I can do it for you. I have a few coils laying around that I'll send you. PM me your name and address and you're all set.
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

does'nt madisound or meniscus custom wind ? i think that it is pretty cheap also.
        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
          does'nt madisound or meniscus custom wind ? i think that it is pretty cheap also.
          yes they do, they just charge the next size up, so a .05 would be priced the same as a .1

Comment

When I contacted PE, they said that they should be getting it in time to get it to me by July 4. It's got about 2 days buffer in case things are slower than they should be.

I really appreciate the offers of help, though!

Comment

For 6 cents more. You have the erse inductor.
              http://www.parts-express.com/term/.05mh?srch=.05mh
              Jeff

Comment

Working...
              X