Name:	DSC_0304.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	1185247Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0306.jpg
Size:	508.7 KB
ID:	1185248

Uber motoren Vifa midrange. Tested and re-tested it recently.
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Re: Vifa NE149W

Click image for larger version

Name:	merged fr.jpg
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	1150212Click image for larger version

Name:	imp.jpg
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	1150213Click image for larger version

Name:	dist 2.89v.jpg
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1150214

there's a slight bump in FR between 1khz and 2khz. It's accompanied by a small distortion bump. Omnimic also showed small amount of ringing in this area. Looks to me that mild LCR can be beneficial. Improved cone and lower 2nd order distortions would make this driver a Revelator killer. As is, it's just very good.

Comment

Name:	csd 20cm.jpg
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	1150215Click image for larger version

Name:	dist 1.7v.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1150216

Comment

Looks good!
        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

"Improved cone and lower 2nd order distortions would make this driver a Revelator killer. As is, it's just very good."

That and a $40 price reduction.

Comment

The 2nd harmonic is below 1% over its entire range, the 3rd is around .1%, and the higher order stuff is almost non existent. the only thing it doesn't have compared to a Revelator is as smooth a response.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The 2nd harmonic is below 1% over its entire range, the 3rd is around .1%, and the higher order stuff is almost non existent. the only thing it doesn't have compared to a Revelator is as smooth a response.
              Pete's findings match Curt's. The Finalist's use the NE149 for a mid. IMHO, it's one of the best sounding mids I've heard, period. I quit "lusting" for a Revelator when I heard the NE149. :D

Jim

Comment

How is the VIFA NE123W-04 compared to it's bigger brother?

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance but what's the difference between those 2 distortion graphs?

Comment

Originally posted by mobius View Post
                    Sorry for my ignorance but what's the difference between those 2 distortion graphs?
                    The first one is a 2.89V, the second at 1.7V.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Thanks for the tests, Roman. Looks like these will do well for what I'm planning down the road.
                      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I love the look of those , great to hear they perform as well as they look! +1 on the price reduction;)

Comment

The first one is a 2.89V, the second at 1.7V.
                          Thanks Pete. I see the reference now.

Is the 1.7V equivalent to Zaph's tests? Cause that graph seems actually a little better than the Revelator 15W8530K00.

Name:	Scanspeak-15W8530K00-HD.gif
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1150243
                          and the NE149 again.

Name:	dist 1.7v.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1150244

Looks like it could be about the same level of driver for half the money.

Comment

Originally posted by mobius View Post
                            Thanks Pete. I see the reference now.

Is the 1.7V equivalent to Zaph's tests? Cause that graph seems actually a little better than the Revelator 15W8530K00.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]37624[/ATTACH]
                            and the NE149 again.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]37625[/ATTACH]

Looks like it could be about the same level of driver for half the money.
                            Zaph tests at [email protected] for his distortion tests. So power level is purely a function of driver sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                              Thanks for the tests, Roman. Looks like these will do well for what I'm planning down the road.
                              you are very welcome AJ.
                              I think, if you cross round about 2k, that hump between 1k and 2k can be dealt very easily without additional components. If you want to cross a bit higher closer to 3k, may be an LCR will be easier solution. For some reason I am thinking you wanted to cross that mid high up.
                              On the low end, I wouldn't let it play much below 300hz. 2nd order is upping and it's audible.

Comment

Working...
                              X