X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanP
    started a topic NRNP (No Router, No Problem) Computer Sub Build Thread

NRNP (No Router, No Problem) Computer Sub Build Thread

This project started off with a desire to add a little bottom end to the tiny 2" full range computer speakers I'm currently using, but it evolved into an exercise in simplicity. The only tools required for this project are a circular saw and a triangle square. A drill, clamps and a sander would make the project a little easier, but they are not necessary.

The main ingredients are the Tang Band W5-1138SM and the Dayton Audio SA25 plate amplifier. The ferrite version of the woofer (W5-1138SMF) can be used at a significant cost savings, but it will sacrifice some air volume, which is already in short supply. As such, I used the neo version for this project.

The enclosure is constructed from a single piece 1 x 8 board, which is actually 0.75" x 7.25" - the perfect width to allow my triangle square to be used as a straight edge for the circular saw, keeping every cut perfectly square. I used a 3ft long piece of poplar to create the top, bottom, 2 sides and 4 corner braces. The amp serves as the rear panel and the front corner braces create an octagonal opening that is close enough to a circle to be used as the woofer mounting hole.

More pics to come...
    Attached Files

• radhaz
    replied
    Thanks. I ordered the parts. Should be a fun little project.

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    I have experience with this driver and it will prolly work well for your aplication. Room placement will be a huge part of intigration. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• radhaz
    replied
    Anyone have experience with the KEF Egg powered speakers? I'd like to know how this sub would work with these for lowish loudness, I'm not rocking the house. I just want a bit more bass for my listening levels.
    tnx in advance.

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied
    Re: NRNP (No Router, No Problem) Computer Sub Build Thread

Thanks guys. I've got more tools, but I thought it would be cool to design something that even folks with a stripped down tool set could build especially so easily and cost effectively. The output is honestly unbelievable considering it is a 2.5L enclosure. There are commercially available computer subs this small, but they all have 3-4" woofers with 3-4mm of xmax. The NRNP computer sub has a legit 5" woofer with 9mm of xmax crammed into a box that shouldn't be big enough, but it is.

This is probably the most output you could possibly get out of a box this size without some crazy DSP - it's just good luck that the flange and basket are sized such that it can be mounted the way it is in a box that just so happens to fit the amp perfectly too. A lot of dimensions and parameters really had to fall into place for this project to be possible.

Dan
    Last edited by DanP; 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• generic
    replied

Wow, your limited tools resulted in way better results then some of my first attempts. Lets just say, I never shared any of my earlier work.

How much bass does it put out in that tiny box?

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

that's really nice Dan. good job.

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

Nothing left to do but mount the plate amp on the back, wire the speaker, add a little pillow stuffing and mount the driver.

This is for sure the easiest and one of the most rewarding projects I have ever done. The whole project took about 3 hours from start to finish including a trip to Home Depot and waiting for the glue to dry in between steps. And before anyone gets bent out of shape about a "sub" that models with an F3 of 70Hz, keep in mind that if it's on the floor against a wall, as most computer subs will be, then the sealed alignment really gets filled in nicely by the boundary reinforcement and rounds out the sound of my 2" full rangers VERY nicely.

I believe the Qtc should be somewhere around 0.80-0.85 with the amount of stuffing that I added. I didn't want to get too crazy with it though, so as not to smother the amp electronics. For what it is, this thing sounds great!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

Then I glued up the 4 sides, glued in the 4 corners and put some weather strip on the woofer flange (I think it was 3/8" x 1/4") to make sure it sealed well in the non-circular opening.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

Then I cut my 4 corner pieces as shown in the pics. The 1.625" dimension is critical to make the octagonal opening small enough to seal the woofer in. If anything, go a little big on these, then you can file away material to get the woofer to fit. I cut mine pretty close to the right size and had no issues.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DanP
    replied

First things first, I squared up the end of the board using the triangle square as a straight edge.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X