Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am sold!!!!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am sold!!!!!!

    I have been hard at work on my first speaker build, a Dayton Classic 8' with the Dayton Silky tweeter, Chris gave me the design and crossover. I finished everything but the outside, and I could not wait another second to crank these babies up. Well, these speakers blew me away! I never knew that I could build something that sounded so d*mn good! The high, the mids, and the bass, the bass is rocking my world! The Cars have never sounded so good, and it feels like Greg Hawkes is right there next to me jamming on his keyboard. I then put in Metallica, Ride the Lightning and I thought everything was going to come off my wall when the double basses kicked in! Whoa! I am sold and these things are no comparison to my Bose 301's, not even close. I now know what you mean about Bose, they are crap! Thank-you Chris and thank you to everyone who has given me advice. I am stoked and this is only the start. I am going to have a tough time giving these to my GF, but then again I can always build more! As soon as I get the finish on, I will post pics. Not sure what finish I am going to do yet...

  • #2
    Re: I am sold!!!!!!

    It's always nice to hear success stories - (and Metallica )

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I am sold!!!!!!

      If you weren't building these for your GF, I'd bet even money their outsides would never get finished!:p
      Paul

      Originally posted by breadfan View Post
      I have been hard at work on my first speaker build, a Dayton Classic 8' with the Dayton Silky tweeter, Chris gave me the design and crossover. I finished everything but the outside, and I could not wait another second to crank these babies up. Well, these speakers blew me away! I never knew that I could build something that sounded so d*mn good! The high, the mids, and the bass, the bass is rocking my world! The Cars have never sounded so good, and it feels like Greg Hawkes is right there next to me jamming on his keyboard. I then put in Metallica, Ride the Lightning and I thought everything was going to come off my wall when the double basses kicked in! Whoa! I am sold and these things are no comparison to my Bose 301's, not even close. I now know what you mean about Bose, they are crap! Thank-you Chris and thank you to everyone who has given me advice. I am stoked and this is only the start. I am going to have a tough time giving these to my GF, but then again I can always build more! As soon as I get the finish on, I will post pics. Not sure what finish I am going to do yet...
      Last edited by Paul K.; 07-14-2013, 02:40 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I am sold!!!!!!

        Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
        If you weren't building these for you GF, I'd bet even money their outsides would never get finished!:p
        Paul
        You can say that again! I am still in shock on how good these things really sound for a cheap build. I can only imagine what a little more investment will bring.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I am sold!!!!!!

          can you share the design or is it already out there?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I am sold!!!!!!

            good for you, and her. I'll bet your next ones will be even better.
            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

            Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

            http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I am sold!!!!!!

              Originally posted by hdben View Post
              can you share the design or is it already out there?
              I have to dig it up, I got it from Chris but I don't think it is out there on the web. I'll post it tomorrow,

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I am sold!!!!!!

                I want to build these speakers too! Post up some build pictures too if you have them.
                See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I am sold!!!!!!

                  Was that the one I did the XO schematic for you? I think I have the diagram saved, if you need it. I'm so happy that you're pleased with the results. I can yak-yak all day about how much better even simple DIY designs are that the vast majority of store-bought speakers, but until you hear it for yourself, folks just can't comprehend the improvements. You are now the current "poster-child" of DIY speakers can be better than popular name brand speakers. And not just bose, either. Move up a couple notches on the name-brand scale and you'll still enjoy the same results. Be sure to let us know about your next project, as you're going to need some of that same "revelation" as you're hearing with the ones you have to give to your GF. You could actually knock yourself silly with the MTM version using the same woofer and tweeter, the D8 MTM. I know there's a newer and better XO design for them, so let us know what you're thinking about and when you're ready.


                  John A.
                  "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                  Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                  Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                  Pioneer TX-9500 II
                  Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                  Statement Monitors
                  Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                  Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                  Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I am sold!!!!!!

                    I am glad to read this also. I had a pair of Polk Monitor 50 MTM towers that i loved, and for WHAT THEY WERE, yes, they sounded pretty nice, however taking the step to the tritrix mltl was phenomenal. I went from a $250/pair store bought to a $250/pair diy kit, and you would think i went as high as a $600 or $700 pair of store bought speakers. They just sound SO MUCH BETTER. They blow the Polks away, in imaging and detail, low freq, everything.

                    And as for Bose, someone here a while back said it best - they are the ultimate "white van special"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I am sold!!!!!!

                      Originally posted by johnastockman View Post
                      Was that the one I did the XO schematic for you? I think I have the diagram saved, if you need it. I'm so happy that you're pleased with the results. I can yak-yak all day about how much better even simple DIY designs are that the vast majority of store-bought speakers, but until you hear it for yourself, folks just can't comprehend the improvements. You are now the current "poster-child" of DIY speakers can be better than popular name brand speakers. And not just bose, either. Move up a couple notches on the name-brand scale and you'll still enjoy the same results. Be sure to let us know about your next project, as you're going to need some of that same "revelation" as you're hearing with the ones you have to give to your GF. You could actually knock yourself silly with the MTM version using the same woofer and tweeter, the D8 MTM. I know there's a newer and better XO design for them, so let us know what you're thinking about and when you're ready.


                      John A.
                      I just ran across the drawing you made me and realized I didn't include you in my thanks, I am sorry about that so, Thanks! You helped me understand the crossover and made it a little easier to put together! And you read my mind on the next project since my GF gets these. The double 8" woofer is just what I want to do. I"ve seen one design on this site but not sure if that is the one you are talking about? Love to see it!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I am sold!!!!!!

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	breadfan's 2-way XO-L.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1150446

                        Drawing by
                        johnastockman and Cab and XO specs by Chris Roemer, I altered the (OD) dims to 12 wide by 17 deep by 21 high. I asked Chris about it first since the Baffle was wider and he said I would be OK. Here are his Dims.
                        OUTside box dims, using 3/4" think stuff (I used particle board):
                        32.5"h x 9"w x 14-1/8"d. This gives you about 1.7 cf gross. The port tube is 3"id x 11" long, and I strongly suggest running it out the back. The tweeter's center is about 3" down from the top of the box. The goal here is to get it near seated ear height, which in this case is almost 30". The woofer should go as close as possible beneath the tweeter. The rear vent should be centered up about 11" off the floor. This box gets lined with convoluted foam (Wal*mart "mattress topper").

                        The "high pass" filter (tweeter crossover) would look like this if I drew it out, with the amp on the left, and the speaker on the right:
                        9 ohm series resistor, 6.8uF series cap, then a "shunt" coil (to ground) using a #20 0.30mH coil.

                        The woofer really gets run (nearly) full range. This filter is used to knock down some of the 8" Classic's "crud" near 2.5kHz, and let it roll off cleaner into the tweeter:
                        The 1st 2 parts are in parallel with EACH other, but are wired in series to the woofer's + terminal; a #18 0.50mH coil, and a 10uF cap. The other 2 parts are wired in series with EACH other, but are wired in parallel to the woofer's terminals (it LOOKs like a "Zobel"): a 10w 10ohm resistor, and an 8.1uF cap.

                        The tweeters Polarity is reversed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I am sold!!!!!!

                          Bread, I built some speakers that might be a "notch up" in components but bookshelves designed by Lou C., "The Veepers". He calls them monitors. That's his shorthand for very accurate reproducing speakers that sound better than some "big name" speakers the same general size costing $900 a pair. That's nearly a three to one price ratio for still less sound quality. The $900 speakers are good, don't get me wrong, and I was able to save some money with some lightly used drivers, but the principle is valid. You'll get hooked doing DIY speakers. You'll probably choose something more challenging next time. And a step-up in sound quality too. I'm glad you had a good time and success with your first build.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I am sold!!!!!!

                            Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                            Bread, I built some speakers that might be a "notch up" in components but bookshelves designed by Lou C., "The Veepers". He calls them monitors. That's his shorthand for very accurate reproducing speakers that sound better than some "big name" speakers the same general size costing $900 a pair. That's nearly a three to one price ratio for still less sound quality. The $900 speakers are good, don't get me wrong, and I was able to save some money with some lightly used drivers, but the principle is valid. You'll get hooked doing DIY speakers. You'll probably choose something more challenging next time. And a step-up in sound quality too. I'm glad you had a good time and success with your first build.
                            Thanks, at first I was really sweating the XO, considering I have nearly zero experience in soldering and I didn't know anything about caps, inductors and resistors. But, I decided to take my time and move at a slower speed than I ever had and I really think that was the key. By doing that, I learned a lot on the way and I am ready to do something better and/or bigger now.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I am sold!!!!!!

                              Its always good to hear these success stories ! So begins the downward spiral for you, to the point that you have 3 different systems and a couple different sets of speakers for each system :p!

                              I used to LOVE Polk Audio's sound. Before I got into speaker building, Polks sounded warmer and more realistic that the other speakers available. I had a pair of Polk Audi TSi200 speakers in my garage, I gave them to a friend after I built a pair of Tritrix MTM for my garage (the Tritrix were the first speakers I'd ever legitemately built). I put waaaay too much time into finishing them, and thought they were just going to get ruined in my garage so I gave the Tritrix to the friend and he gave me back the Polks. Man do those things ever sound bad in comparison to the Tritrix!! Its like 1/2 the music is missing, exaggerated highs and lows w/ drown out mids.

                              My original plan for the Tritrix was to make them a rat-rod style speaker, painted flat black w/ some crazy metal grills. Instead I died maple and went all out on them. Now I need to build another set for my garage, only this time I'll stick w/ my rat-rod theme and they'll stay in my garage :D.

                              Just saying, it never ends; there's always a good reason to build more speakers :rolleyes:
                              "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                              "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X