Walsh inspired DIY driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walsh inspired DIY driver

I did a forum search for this and didn't come up with anything. Apologies in advance if this is a repost.

http://www.hhr-exoticspeakers.com/HHRtls-4.htm
    Some of my audio projects:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8626051@N04/sets/

Re: Walsh inspired DIY driver

Cool. Did you find any pricing anywhere?
    Dan N.

Comment

That looks like a really, really, deep acutely angled cone where they added a second flange for the spider and motor and attached it to the first with rods. Isn't the Walsh principle different? Anyway, it's an interesting concept.

John

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
        Cool. Did you find any pricing anywhere?
        That certainly appears to be right you your alley! I'd like to try this one out myself.

Jeff
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by OlderMongrel View Post
          That looks like a really, really, deep acutely angled cone where they added a second flange for the spider and motor and attached it to the first with rods. Isn't the Walsh principle different? Anyway, it's an interesting concept.

John
          The Walsh was called a "bending wave driver", but it was accomplished with that steep angle and long cone. This looks like it should accomplish that fine.
          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
            The Walsh was called a "bending wave driver", but it was accomplished with that steep angle and long cone. This looks like it should accomplish that fine.
            I believe the cone actually bends. Like a bow when your stringing it except in all directions if that makes sense.
            Edit: Nevermind I was thinking of this http://www.vxm.com/mbl101Dpaper.html

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
              I believe the cone actually bends. Like a bow when your stringing it except in all directions if that makes sense.
              Edit: Nevermind I was thinking of this http://www.vxm.com/mbl101Dpaper.html
              You're not far off killa. The coil at the top puts an impulse into the cone and the wave travels down to the bottom. On the way, it causes a pressure wave in the air. As the pressure wave moves away from the top, the wave in the cone travels down creating a cylindrical wavefront. That angle and the speed of sound in the cone material allows a coherent wavefront to form.

It sure would be nice to see a measurement.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

You're not far off killa. The coil at the top puts an impulse into the cone and the wave travels down to the bottom. On the way, it causes a pressure wave in the air. As the pressure wave moves away from the top, the wave in the cone travels down creating a cylindrical wavefront. That angle and the speed of sound in the cone material allows a coherent wavefront to form.

It sure would be nice to see a measurement.
                Yeah, and a price!

Also reminds me of the Walsh tweeter I had in my college days, Infinity 2000II speakers.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2000ii(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1150605
                Dan N.

Comment

I've always wanted to try some Walsh drivers but I guess this manufacturer doesn't want to sell any... no pricing.;)
                  "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                  ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

There was a guy that built an MBL clone on DiyAudio

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
                      I've always wanted to try some Walsh drivers but I guess this manufacturer doesn't want to sell any... no pricing.;)
                      Well, you know the old saying. If you have to ask...

I'm sure I can't afford them either.

Zach

Comment

http://www.hhr-exoticspeakers.com/HHRcontact.htm
                        Some of my audio projects:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8626051@N04/sets/

Comment

They are $1500 + shipping, insurance, and handling. I've already contacted him. Because inquiring minds want to know!
                          "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

"Why are you wearing that stupid human suit" - Frank

"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

Comment

Originally posted by tombond View Post
                            They are $1500 + shipping, insurance, and handling. I've already contacted him. Because inquiring minds want to know!
                            Double Ouch!!

That said, I wonder if they manufacture the driver used in the German Physiks speakers, which are very pricey.
                            http://www.german-physiks.com/
                            Dan N.

Comment

Hi, I had a pair of Ohm F's back in the late 70's early 80's. They were the most coherent realistic sounding speakers I have ever owned. The spiders ripped on them and I traded them to a Ohm Dealer in Columbus at the time for a pair of Walsh Model 2's. The Walsh 2 was ok but the Ohm F was spooky good. They did need a lot of power to drive them and they didn't play real loud as I remember .

Comment

Working...
                              X