Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished a pair of subs and they suck. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just finished a pair of subs and they suck. Why?

****UPDATE****

I was just browsing through some old posts of mine and realized I never really gave a conclusion to this. I debated resurrecting such an old thread but since it's "good" news I figured it's worth it.

I used my ASUS Xonar DX sound card for a while, but for the last 6 months or so I've using a Yamaha AVR as the source, with it controlling everything and my SA70 LPF set as high as it can go.

My subs aren't used often, but I've watched a couple dozen movies over the past two years and the sound from them has never been anything but great. I'm sure that weird sound is still there if I tried to replicate it, but during normal use I haven't heard it and had forgotten about it until now.

I feel a little embarrassed reading through this thread and still not having a concrete answer for you guys. I could try testing what I did before with my AVR that I have now, but why bother? It's not an issue for me now. If I were to go back the only thing I'd probably change is using the SA100 instead of the SA70 just to have a little more headroom, but where I live now these subs put out more than I can use as they are.

Comment

I kind of missed this thread, but if it ever helps anyone else.... I don't trust soundcard crossovers. I tried one years ago. It seemed to filter the sub okay. Not sure what slope of crossover it was, but the main speakers always ran full range. It was virtually useless. Best I could do was try and match the sub with the the roll off of the mains. Not much control at all. I will never use a soundcard as a crossover again.

Comment

*sigh of relief*
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Exarch View Post
          ****UPDATE****

I was just browsing through some old posts of mine and realized I never really gave a conclusion to this. I debated resurrecting such an old thread but since it's "good" news I figured it's worth it.

I used my ASUS Xonar DX sound card for a while, but for the last 6 months or so I've using a Yamaha AVR as the source, with it controlling everything and my SA70 LPF set as high as it can go.

My subs aren't used often, but I've watched a couple dozen movies over the past two years and the sound from them has never been anything but great. I'm sure that weird sound is still there if I tried to replicate it, but during normal use I haven't heard it and had forgotten about it until now.

I feel a little embarrassed reading through this thread and still not having a concrete answer for you guys. I could try testing what I did before with my AVR that I have now, but why bother? It's not an issue for me now. If I were to go back the only thing I'd probably change is using the SA100 instead of the SA70 just to have a little more headroom, but where I live now these subs put out more than I can use as they are.
          I'm with generic in that I missed this thread entirely the first time through. I listened to your video, and to me it sounds very mechanical. I really think it sounds like metal on metal, or at least metal and something else hard. You stated that at certain frequencies, you can change the sound by putting your finger over the pole vent. This might be a long shot, but I'm wondering if you've got a dust cap that is loose. The area behind the dust cap is essentially a small ported enclosure. If you hit the "tuning frequency" of that volume/port, then you have maximum pressure behind the dust cap. I know it may seem counter-intuitive, but when you plug the vent, the pressure will actually decrease (at the tuned frequency) and the sound may disappear. Again, might be a long shot, but that's my opinion based on the video. You should be able to lightly press on the cone near the dust cap and see if there is any separation.
          Last edited by 1100xxben; 04-28-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I'm surprised only one person mentioned the possibility of a wire being loose lol.

Comment

Did this post start at about the time PE was doing their investigation into the RSS315s and the oil can sound that turned out to be a manufacturing issue having something to do with the dust caps not being secured well? Is it possible that the 8" RSS drivers also had dust cap adhesion issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                Did this post start at about the time PE was doing their investigation into the RSS315s and the oil can sound that turned out to be a manufacturing issue having something to do with the dust caps not being secured well? Is it possible that the 8" RSS drivers also had dust cap adhesion issues?
                I have actually made two of the pony subs with the slotted ports. They sound great but never go that loud. After seeing this thread I decided to fire them up and take a close listen when they were turned up at about 3/4. In one of the subs I can hear a similar noise, it definitely sounds like the the sub bottoming out. Happens with pretty much every kick drum hit after a certain level. Really not noticeable and I don't mind much because as of now they never get this loud...for what it is worth one of mine does this and the other does not.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Exarch View Post
                  The best way I can describe the sound is a mix between radio static, wind buffeting a microphone, and a speaker bottoming out.
                  I had this exact problem last night. I run mine as woofers in my center channel.

The sound was like something mechanical/metallic. Additionally, tapping the cone while it was playing almost had me convinced that it was the voice coil former or dust cap separated. NOPE.

The problem was entirely electrical. The tinsel lead had separated at it's joint with the VC wire.

THIS IS A FACTORY DEFECT. The joint is at the first hump of the spider. Some of these drivers have enough glue there to pretty much immobilize that area, some don't.

My problem was intermittent. Most of the time it sounded just fine.

I went ahead and repaired it because I bought these used. It was quite easy to pull the tinsel lead out of the spider. I soldered it back externally.Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzz Tinsel lead repair.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1166243
                  "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Interesting. I've never heard of this issue on our RSS210's, hopefully its not a very common thing. I've owned a total of seven of these (currently four) in both HO and HF variety, sealed and vented designs and haven't had this problem come up yet, nor have I heard about it from our customers. Bear in mind these have a 5 year warranty so should a problem arise, just give us a call.

-The Matt
                    Your results may vary.

Comment

Working...
                    X