Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Proposal from Jeff - Need your feedback

Hey guys,
    I get a lot of email and PM's asking me various questions about how to use my design tools, how to take measurements, and just basic questions on design in general. So I have a proposal....

What if I rented a conference room at a local hotel, brought in my portable measurement system and laptop, hooked it up to a projector and screen, and had a one day seminar on loudspeaker design, sharing a bunch of tips on how I do it.

I am thinking that we could begin with a midwoofer and tweeter in a test box. As a group we'll take measurements of the ampliptude response, phase, and impedance, find the offset together, pull everything into various software tools and design the crossover. Then we'll wire up the crossover, take some final measurments to show how well they match our simulation (they'll match very well, by the way) and we'll give the speakers a listen.

We could even have some presentations on different topics throughout the day with Q&A. Of course, there would probably be a nominal fee for the seminar to cover all of the costs, but nothing too high.

So, if I did this, do you think it would be useful, do you think you would benefit from it, would you plan on attending, do you have any other comments or questions? Let me know, I'm just throwing this out there to guage the interest.

Jeff B.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Re: A Proposal from Jeff - Need your feedback

That would be awesome, but I doubt I could make it this year... :(
    HAGD,
    Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

I have wondered why nobody has done that before. I would hope that there is a potential audience among those starting out, and maybe some old-timers out to learn a couple of new tricks.

In the woodworking world, there are all sorts of seminars presented at national shows, and even local Woodcraft stores host weekend demonstrations. The attendees learn new skills, the host company should see an educated customer base, and possibly new sales.
      Bill Schneider
      -+-+-+-+-
      www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

There's so much I need to learn, and this sounds like a great idea.
        Man, I wish you lived closer. Or I didn't live so far.

TomZ

Still, depending on where and when, I may be able to make it.
        Last edited by tomzarbo; 07-27-2013, 09:03 PM. Reason: Wife may let me go
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I will be there! I wonder if it could be video taped? Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howard View Post
            I will be there! I wonder if it could be video taped? Howard

Now THAT is an idea! I would even be willing to chip in a few bucks (say $20-$25) via paypal to assist for a good well documented copy of that!
            HAGD,
            Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

Would this be on a weekend? Somewhere near Kokomo In.?
              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Thinking out loud here. Maybe since it would benefit diy and that in turn would sell more products PE could back you and cover costs. Also perhaps to get in a little more advertising they could record your seminar so everyone can view it. I think a seminar would be very helpful but so few would be able to attend compared to how many have questions I would think it best to record your seminar. That way if someone has a question it is easier to give a link than try to explain in words.

Comment

Could also do a live feed like Bryan did for InDIYana so that we can ask questions through the web...
                  HAGD,
                  Marc

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

I was hoping that someone would do it, I've been to one IndDIY and the cost was more than a set of speakers. I enjoyed it , but I ask myself which I would prefer, so I would really considerate it and hope more will join in, the other option with it is video. I would buy a video . I thought about asking for 3 or 4 hours of training and paying someone during one of the DIY events also. Still might if I don't make it.
                    Tim

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      Would this be on a weekend? Somewhere near Kokomo In.?
                      Yes, I probably should have added that in the first post - It would most likely be on a Saturday (don't know when, at this time) and probably here in Kokomo, which would make it a lot easier for me to set up.
                      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I think that’s a wonderful idea.
                        I agree taping it just like other training classes would be great.
                        I like the idea of PE underwriting it. Maybe tying in Bill Waslo and Omni mic.

I could see a basics class and a advance topics class.

Great idea.
                        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I know you're just thinking out loud still at this point, but do you have any idea on when you might consider doing this?
                          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Jeff, I would say this is one of the biggest hang ups with getting started and getting to learn from a master would be a big deal.

I would be all in, just to learn how people do the simple measurements along with how to do distortion, waterfall, and many others.

I agree about video taping and maybe a webinar so that others can join in online with questions and not have to travel great distances.

Any set dates in mind, I don't know how long this would take to get organized but would be nice if it can be planed well in advance so people could accommodate.
                            If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
                            What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
                            It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

I think TT just got the biggest number of hits on one topic within 5 minutes of starting, this thread is going to be 10 pages deep by 10 PM. :applause: :D
                              If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
                              What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
                              It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Working...
                              X