2D CAD software - free download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2D CAD software - free download

I was looking at SolidWorks' website and saw some free downloads that might interest some here (I have not downloaded or tried any of this).

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/product...-downloads.htm

http://www.3ds.com/products-services...ad-draftsight/

"Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
    of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
    - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
    A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
    (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Re: 2D CAD software - free download

PTC's CREO elements (3D-lite)

http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-ele...eling-express/
    "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
    of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
    - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
    A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
    (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

I used DraftSight all the time. It's the equivalent to AutoCAD by my estimation.

Comment

I seem to recall someone on this forum using FreeCad.

Comment

I use FreeCAD. Just got into it. It's in development, and still has some quirks, but it's quite usable.

Comment

IIRC, Solidworks built-in/standalone 2D CAD is based on the Intellicad engine. There are several capable ports of the Intellicad platform, including ProgeCad Smart, which is a good alternative if you are used to the classic AutoCad interface.

For us hobbyists, it doesn't really matter what CAD package you use as long as the GUI is intuitive to you. If you are dealing with DWG files extensively, quite a few of the alternative cad packages have trouble understanding AutoCAD DWG files. Intellicad based packages perform pretty well in that respect. Then again, it has been awhile since I have looked at other packages - I am very happy with AutoCAD 2002. It runs fine under Win7 64, and is extremely fast and capable. Part of my compensation for an internship I did my first round of college was a license for the software.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

DraftSight + truly free with current update. I like the looks of AutoCad but price is prohibitive for me.
              I was tired and got tired again so now I am Re tired.

Comment

Another DraftSight user here. I use old versions of AutoCAD at work, and find them interchangeable for simple drawings.
                "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                X