Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT- When can I have new classical masterpieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- When can I have new classical masterpieces?

JohnnyRichards 9th post got me thinking... did the last of the truly, awe-inspiring, legendary composers die in the 1800's? I know there have been countless, talented composers since then, but who? It seems any composers of note in the last 60 years, were making music for movies. Is that more a sign of the changing dynamic of social interests? Perhaps if Vangelis, Jans Zimmer and John Williams and the like; lived in the 1700's Italy/Germany, would their compositions transcend time? I know what your thinking... Jaws theme will be scary 1000 years from now. Yes, but that is because of the visual associated with the music. As with all the "movie" composers.

Food for thought.
    My projects
    https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Re: OT- When can I have new classical masterpieces?

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post
    JohnnyRichards 9th post got me thinking... did the last of the truly, awe-inspiring, legendary composers die in the 1800's? I know there have been countless, talented composers since then, but who? It seems any composers of note in the last 60 years, were making music for movies. Is that more a sign of the changing dynamic of social interests? Perhaps if Vangelis, Jans Zimmer and John Williams and the like; lived in the 1700's Italy/Germany, would their compositions transcend time? I know what your thinking... Jaws theme will be scary 1000 years from now. Yes, but that is because of the visual associated with the music. As with all the "movie" composers.

Food for thought.
    Samuel Barber? Aaron Copland? Benjamin Britten? um... I'm forgetting more than I'm remembering, but...
    diVine Audio

Comment

I think it important to remember that a lot of the great classical compositions were very often scores for visual events, themselves. Great composers still exist, listening to symphonic renditions of a myriad of popular music should serve as a reminder that great music is great, even if it isn't originally scored for an orchestra.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
        I think it important to remember that a lot of the great classical compositions were very often scores for visual events, themselves. Great composers still exist, listening to symphonic renditions of a myriad of popular music should serve as a reminder that great music is great, even if it isn't originally scored for an orchestra.
        I know what you are saying, but I don't think a symphony playing the very linear note progressions of what is the vast majority of recent popular musical compositions can compare to the standard pieces found during that time.
        My projects
        https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

I am sure there was plenty of bad music then, as well.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Well, there's a whole bunch of issues the question brings up. First and foremost, what is classical? Is it just orchestra? Because, yeah, orchestral music--aside from film scores--is a pretty dead scene.

If one were to include symphonic bands, then I would argue that there are, in fact a lot of great composers out there composing music: Stephan Melillo, Alfred Reed (RIP), William Schuman, Vincent Persichetti, Ron Nelson, Eric Whitacre, etc. These are all staples of any college symphonic band, and many high school and community bands... you could probably find one playing this weekend near you if you tried And could we possibly include music theater as well? Again, it's quite easy to find a performance of some Stephen Sondheim, Andrew Lloyd Webber, or Stephen Schwartz in a local theater near you (although more likely Rogers and Hammerstein, or Gilbert and Sullivan, ugh)

More importantly, I'm pretty sure rock music died at some point in the last few years.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Funny you should ask this. I've been listening to Beethoven Sonatas for the past couple of hours. Yes, in fact all the good/great composers are all dead. People would rather listen to Lady Gaga and Britney Spears than a truly good piece of music. That's why all the classical music stations across the country are subsidized with tax payer dollars.

Someone with Mozart's genius would get into another line of work today, perhaps begrudgingly so. Maybe they'd be a systems analyst or something.
              1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
              2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

What will "experts" be saying about today's best composers 200 years from now?
                "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post
                  Yes, but that is because of the visual associated with the music. As with all the "movie" composers.
                  Perhaps the more pop culture movies, but may movie soundtracks hold their own when listened to in isolation.

I would say that there are some absolutely mind-blowing composers out there doing video game soundtracks with more imagination than those pidgeon-holed into the movie industry.
                  :blues: Flat frequency response, a smooth sound power response free of resonance, careful driver-integration, and high dynamic range both upward and downward :blues:

Comment

Don't be dissin Brittney!
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      Don't be dissin Brittney!
                      You mean Bratney? Pffft! ;)
                      1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                      2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

I would say your best place to find new music would be at a local high school or college. I know when our band teacher (fresh out of college) had us playing some of the classics but also mixed in some scores of "new age" classical music. A good time to go here in Iowa is when they are having their state band and choir competitions. You get to see great competitiveness, a large variety of music, and the performances are judged, so the etiquette in the auditorium is a lot better.
                        If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
                        What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
                        It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

As Toscanini said "Good music died in 1897." (Anton Rubinstein) While I think Anton Dvorak carried it on until his death, he had ceased composing long before 1897. Ralph Vaughn Williams and a few others have made good compositions for symphonic band, which you never hear played in this country other than by community bands or community college bands, or find good recordings of their pieces, usually in arrangements for the Boston Pops (like hearing the Beatles played by Lawrence Welk!)
                          The string teacher I had in 7th-9th grade orchestra referred to "synth" music as "musical masturbation" a quarter of a Century before the original movie "Fame" premiered. Madame Tosca Cramer was correct. I doubt even the best of Lennon/McCartney's music will endure 100 years anymore than Randolph Peter's music which was popular 100 years ago on piano rolls.

Comment

I suppose it depends on what you mean by new, but to go along w/ Barber, Copland, and Britten:

How about Strauss, Mahler, Rachmaninov, Shostakovich, Ravel, Gorecki, Higdon and several others.

Don't forget that the "legendary" composers weren't legendary in their day. Many of them were considered "marginally" popular.

As far as composing for movies, that's where the work / money is. No different than for Handel (Watermusic), Brahms, Beethoven, Bach, etc. All had patrons that commissioned work.
                            I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                            OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                            Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                            Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                            Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                            LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Max Richter recently recomposed Vivaldi four seasons.
                              http://www.amazon.com/Recomposed-Max.../dp/B008IEWBJ8
                              from what came last year or so, I think this is brilliant.
                              Classical orchestral music didn't die in 1800. 20th century brought in genius composers. From the names mentioned already, Britten and Shostakovich are my favorite.
                              Try "War Requiem" by Britten and Shostakovich symphony #7. Very dramatic work.
                              http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X