Dual Titanic Sub Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Titanic Sub Build

Thought I'd post a few pics of my latest project.

I had a few Titanic MK2 12" subs that I scavenged from a previous project that I couldn't sell, so I made a sub for a friend of mine and now I'm going to hook up the A/V room a bit. Already had the walnut veneer and drivers/wood except for the round-overs. Just need to figure out what to do for the top and purchase the amp. I'm hoping it will go on sale, but I doubt it!

Should look like this when completed:

First one is gorilla gluing now, I may glue up second one tonight.

I plan on adding another layer of 1/2" MDF inside the boxes as well as some bracing to be determined.

Two of these in my smallish just-for-movies A/V room should shakE things up a bit.

I know the Titanic MK2's aren't situated on the cusp of technology, but they've always performed pretty well as home theater subs as far as I'm concerned; plus I'll clean up the look a bit with a technique I used on my friends sub build:

It's nice to have the house smelling like MDF again.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Re: Dual Titanic Sub Build

Any link to the source of your round over pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by hipcheck View Post
      Any link to the source of your round over pieces?
      This place: http://www.aitwood.com/

I used the 3" roundover for this project. These: http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.As...arter%20Rounds

They are called "L" quarter rounds for use with 3/4" material.

I feel kind of whimpy saying this, but my router can't spin a 6.5" wide roundover bit. :D

It cost me more to ship than the stuff cost. I'm happy, though. It's a unique look when finished.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Love the 12' Titanics. Great subs....you are not going to want to let them go.... Awesome build sir!

Comment

Cool Link Tom!
          They do make some nice large round-over bits for routers, the issue is the cost!
          Well the cost, and they are a bit scary.

Comment

Looking great! Plus your shop looks sparkly clean - wow. Can't wait to see them finished. Nice work.
            -Mike

Comment

Little more progress.
              Carcases glued up and 1/2" interior panels glued in as well:

Still trying to decide how to handle the top of these.

Next up, cutting out the woofer holes and adding bracing. They're getting heavy.

TomZ

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                Thought I'd post a few pics of my latest project.

I had a few Titanic MK2 12" subs that I scavenged from a previous project that I couldn't sell, so I made a sub for a friend of mine and now I'm going to hook up the A/V room a bit. Already had the walnut veneer and drivers/wood except for the round-overs. Just need to figure out what to do for the top and purchase the amp. I'm hoping it will go on sale, but I doubt it!

Should look like this when completed:

First one is gorilla gluing now, I may glue up second one tonight.

I plan on adding another layer of 1/2" MDF inside the boxes as well as some bracing to be determined.

Two of these in my smallish just-for-movies A/V room should shakE things up a bit.

I know the Titanic MK2's aren't situated on the cusp of technology, but they've always performed pretty well as home theater subs as far as I'm concerned; plus I'll clean up the look a bit with a technique I used on my friends sub build:

It's nice to have the house smelling like MDF again.

TomZ
                Wow, I really like that design! Is the black top solid wood? Does it need to be that thick?

Comment

I really like those roundovers Tom. I do believe I will be ordering a 2" for an upcoming project.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Got a little more work done yesterday/this morning.
                    Added a bit of bracing to sure up the baffle. Also strengthened and broke up the rear with some cross braces. The knuckle test yields very high pitched 'pings' so I think I'm almost there. The top and bottom will end up being thickened so I won't do too much with them. They will probably end up being at least 2" thick in places.

Had to take a break yesterday afternoon as it was my wife's birthday. Took her to a nice restaurant and saw a show in Lancaster, PA... Michael McDonald. Really good show, that guy can do amazing things with a keyboard. I still can't understand a word he says when he's singing, but it sounds so good!

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
                    Wow, I really like that design! Is the black top solid wood? Does it need to be that thick?
                    Thanks, Pete.
                    The top is still undetermined. I originally was going to just double up 3/4" MDF or PB and paint it textured black like I've done on my last several projects, but I will probably go with something a little bit classier and more durable.

I posed the question to the folks here as far as how to handle the top, and the consensus was that black was best, and go with something high quality. I agree. Thinking about Corian, Granite, even possibly solid hardwood stained super dark or even using a black lacquer finish or something like that. I'm even entertaining making something out of concrete. I've got some thinking to do still.

The thickness and the small gap is really just for aesthetics for the most part. I saw a similar design as an end table at the car dealership where we bought a car awhile back and I took a pic with the wife's cell phone I liked it so much. Inspiration comes from everywhere I guess.

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                    I really like those roundovers Tom. I do believe I will be ordering a 2" for an upcoming project.
                    They are pretty cool, they add a unique look to things for sure. They're made of MDF at least mine were, looks to be about three layers of 3/4" material if I'm reading the strata correctly. It's just something that I really can't do on my own. Shipping is costly, but we all know this hobby isn't cheap!

TomZ
                    Last edited by tomzarbo; 08-20-2013, 03:14 PM.

Comment

A bit more progress for these. I'm just about out of MDF and PB so I cut up what I had and glued these up for the bases. I'll be putting a slight angle on them like in the mock-up picture, 20 degrees if I recall. I'll have to do the angle on the curved part by hand... or I should say, by belt sander.

the 1/2" thick MDF plates on top of the box will make the box look like it's floating on the base, and likewise make the top look like it's floating on the box. Flat black paint on those parts.

I visited a pretty big local kitchen design store yesterday and should be getting a quote in a few days on two pieces of Corian for the top. The lady there said they used to have an in-house Corian shop, but nobody is using Corian anymore, everyone wants natural stone counter tops according to her.

I have a feeling it's going to cost a few bucks since it needs to be built up three layers of 1/2" material and curves added to match the box. We'll see. I opted for a 1 1/2" thick top in black Corian with occasional lighter color speckles in it, and polished to a nice shine.

I hope to have these veneered by this week with the bases on and playing in my A/V room. I'll figure out the tops later on I guess. I plan on having them basically just sit on top anyway.

I'll be under-powering them with a Dayton APA150 amp for now...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-812

until I can scrounge the funds for the Crown XLS1500 Drivecore, which seems to be the right fit for this project.

TomZ

Comment

Looking good. I have the XLS1500 and I've never heard the fan running, even though it does. Powers my dual 12s quite nicely.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                        return to the source
                        leviathan system thread
                        deadhorse thread
                        shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Tomzarbo:

I am envious of your workspace. I have already ordered from the supplier you used for the quarter rounds for an upcoming project of my own. (Thanks for the link)

I'm a novice when it comes to the total projects I've done but I consider myself more accomplished on whole with regards to projects I've built and in terms of reading and experiencing reproduced sound.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind? Do you have any preference in your choice of glue? With all of the choices out there, do you find a certain one best for this project? I've read (in other forums) that hide glue is the preferred choice when building a turn table plinth. I assume that may have more to do with resonance dissipation. Any comments?

Regarding internal cabinet volume, were the additional stiffening boards, and internal crossbrace members figured into this aspect?

Comment

Those look great. First thing I thought when I saw your rendering was "Man, a granite top on those would look killer". Might not be too expensive if you made an exact template and took it to a fabricator and had them make up a couple using remnants, like sink cutouts. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by emilime75 View Post
                              Those look great. First thing I thought when I saw your rendering was "Man, a granite top on those would look killer". Might not be too expensive if you made an exact template and took it to a fabricator and had them make up a couple using remnants, like sink cutouts. Just a thought.
                              Here is where my background may be helpful, my experience in adding weight on top of subs is this... you need to be careful, adding too much, deadens the sound, making it muffled or unmusical. My advice here would be to construct it as planned. Then experiment with 1/2 to 1 lb brass weights on top of cabinet for any additional coupling. (I use circles of vinyl damping material on top of my cabinets, then Mapleshade brass weights (triple points, down onto the forementioned damping material). Of course this may be obstructing the beauty of the final project, but if sound quality is foremost, take my advise.

Comment

Working...
                              X