Last Hurrahs Build - finally got started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Last Hurrahs Build - finally got started

Color temp is horrible on this picture, but just thought I'd post some progress. I have been lining the walls of cabinets with Ultratouch cotton batting for several years. It seems to work very well (compared to unlined). No idea how it compares to fiberglass, but it is easy to use, no itch, and nothing nasty blowing into the room from ports.

Comment

Excellent progress Maynard. Question: Have you worked with other damping materials beyond the cotton batting? I'm thinking the likes of wool and open cell foam, sonic barrier and others. Not questioning your choice, just curious as to the thought process behind it.

Comment

I have tried about everything, but not in direct comparison in the same application. No measurements or anything. The product is sold in the sound control market with pretty good specs. I use it because it is cheap, easy, and not itchy. Lowe's used to carry the 2", but does not here in Prescott. Having trouble finding it online as well. Does not appear in the Bonded Logic site anymore either.

So, while I like it, if it is only available in 4", as seems to be the case now - I probably won't use it as much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
          I have tried about everything, but not in direct comparison in the same application. No measurements or anything. The product is sold in the sound control market with pretty good specs. I use it because it is cheap, easy, and not itchy. Lowe's used to carry the 2", but does not here in Prescott. Having trouble finding it online as well. Does not appear in the Bonded Logic site anymore either.

So, while I like it, if it is only available in 4", as seems to be the case now - I probably won't use it as much anymore.
          Give Roxul panels a try next time.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I bought the 2' stuff (I think) at menards.
            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Looks like the closest Menard's is Cheyenne, WY. I miss Menard's. They have a lot of my 1990's money.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                Looks like the closest Menard's is Cheyenne, WY. I miss Menard's. They have a lot of my 1990's money.
                They probably miss you more!
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Looking great, Maynard!!
                  I am jealous of your progress. I am still debating whether or not to do dipole on my "next" (?current? ;) ) project. Drivers are set (thanks Pete & DoubleTap for the deal on the 15W's), but I am having trouble choosing a direction. <sulk>
                  SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
                  Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
                  SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
                  SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Comment

How are you moving them around?
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Back belt and two-wheeler.

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                      How are you moving them around?

Comment

A bit of progress to report. Can't find my 9/16 rabbet - so off the store. Ordered veneer. Some heavy flake white oak. Will match our decor and is not very expensive. May have music next weekend.

Comment

Prototype XO underway

One prototype XO built, the other still in parts. Progress!!

Comment

Re: Prototype XO underway

Looking good, man! So veneer all panels or solid baffle/veneer sides?
                            A mains
                            The Ventures
                            Open Invit8tions
                            RSR
                            Sound Troopers
                            Acorns
                            DGBG's
                            The Monuments

Comment

Sides are 1" MDF / 25mm BB sandwich. All veneer as soon as it arrives. The bad boys are HEAVY!

Comment

that's a bunch of copper...
                                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                                X