Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prototype XO underway

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
    One prototype XO built, the other still in parts. Progress!!

I'd split up the x-over onto several boards.

Comment

This is the proto board. A little tight, but will serve as a starting point. It will surely be a mass of spaghetti on the living room floor as I slowly disassemble and sub parts before it is finalized.

Comment

Prepping for veneering. The Decorator WMBO likes the oak quite a lot, will be Mission brown. Dye, seal, glaze, topcoats. Shadows in the artificial light in house this morning, so I'll be waiting until daylight to layout and and cut.

By the time I am done adding to these, I won't be able to move them. Really heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
          This is the proto board. A little tight, but will serve as a starting point. It will surely be a mass of spaghetti on the living room floor as I slowly disassemble and sub parts before it is finalized.
          These speakers are going to be amazing! Congratulations on a great design. I'll admit, I'm jealous. I want a pair of these.

On your prototype crossover board, consider flopping one of your coils as shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	XO Sample-1c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1154402

It's not enough for coils to be rotated 90 degrees... they have to be oriented the CORRECT 90 degrees.

The orientations of the other coils in your picture are the best that you can do with 4 coils on one board. Is there any chance you could make the board bigger and put a coil in each corner of the board? (Distance is your friend... even a few inches helps.) If not, then just flop the one that I show to get the proper orthogonal orientation. Those two coils are physically right next to each other and thus the proper orientation is critical.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how these speakers look with the veneer! Keep up the great work.
          ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
          Sapphos
          Cables (Post #54)
          Other speakers (Post #21)
          Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
          Boundary Augmentation
          Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Thanks, these are expected to be my last large speakers, maybe my last of any kind.

Swapped. These are just prototype boards. My process is a bit strange. I fix everything on the proto board. Then I end up removing things one at a time to tweak, laying them all over the place using clip wires. I'll end up with quite a pile of wires before I am done.

The final board will end up looking much different and with some different components no doubt. It will still be crowded and will fit in an outboard XO box. I never button up XO's inside cabinets that I make for my own use anymore, because, I guess, I am never done it seems. I usually end up giving speakers away, and when I do, I'll place the boards inside.

I have played with orientation a bit and have yet to measure or hear any effects of having coils close, so long as they are oriented 90 degrees. Not saying it can't be measured, or that it is not audible in some conditions - just that I have not found those conditions in my environment or with my ears yet.

Comment

Not the most interesting picture you will see today, but offered as evidence progress is still being made.

Comment

Still more progress!!

Comment

Yet further progress. Dye is next.

Comment

Maynard, those are going to be absolutely gorgeous.
                    Paul

Comment

Thanks, Paul. They are coming along. Just finished the dye. They appear a bit red at this stage, but will be a mellow mission brown in the end. Next steps are a shellac seal coat, followed by a light sanding. The wipe on and wipe off a dark walnut gel stain. After that I will probably finish with three wipe on coats of shellac. Shellac is a wonderful finish, especially of you can keep the alcohol and ammonia off of them. Much easier and more forgiving than any varnish.

Comment

Nice placement of the grain on the front, too--shows some of the symmetry of the veneer.

Comment

Re: Last Hurrahs Build - finally got started

Thanks Marvin. Hope to have time tomorrow to apply then wipe off the glaze. Will highlight the grain.

Comment

This is post application of the glaze, which was brush on, wipe off, General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel. Getting close.

Comment

Love the "old school" look to these,Maynard. Very nice, indeed.
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

First top coat of shellac applied. Looking really good, but maybe just a bit darker than I had intended. But then, it is still dark this morning and lighting matters.

Still hoping for music tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X