Last Hurrahs Build - finally got started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Last Hurrahs Build - finally got started

Really nice work Maynard. I'm sure they will be stellar.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
      First top coat of shellac applied. Looking really good, but maybe just a bit darker than I had intended. But then, it is still dark this morning and lighting matters.

Still hoping for music tomorrow.

Of course its still dark if you posted at 730 am! I think the forum translates post time to my local time, so either you get to it pretty early on Saturday mornings or you did that application last night and just posted this AM.

Should look great with drivers mounted!

Comment

Second coat of shellac. The amber tone is warming up the wood!

Comment

Thanks fellas. Will evaluate the finish in the afternoon when the shop is full of light. I may be done, except waiting a few days to wax. I really want them in the house so I can wire them up!

Comment

This post is at 7:41 Mountain. Yes, I am an early riser. I have good LED lighting in the shop.

Originally posted by marvin View Post
            Of course its still dark if you posted at 730 am! I think the forum translates post time to my local time, so either you get to it pretty early on Saturday mornings or you did that application last night and just posted this AM.

Should look great with drivers mounted!

Comment

How do you do a final finish on the shellac? I have a couple dull spots, and overall can still see subtle swirl marks from application.

Looking really good - I think the color is perfect. Those'd make perfect pillars either side of a fire pit, with a nice mantle to match, tucked into a cozy room in a classic Chicago bungalow.
              diVine Audio

Comment

I don't go for high gloss. I'll rub in a brown wax with 0000 steel wool. Will be a warm glow, close to the wood, finish.

Comment

Really beautiful work maynardg. I'm not a huge fan of oak but your staining work is very nice and I love the shellac for the topcoat. I'm sure the anticipation is killing you. A very nice job.
                  Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

One down. Too tired to do the other one tonight. I'm ready to listen!

Comment

Now I've done this over 20 times - building new speakers that is. Never, though, have I had sound only from the mid. Too tired to troubleshoot safely, systematically, and effectively just now, and not likely until next week due to travel. So, I wait!

The cell phone picture does not capture the beauty of the wood. Not waxed yet anyway. Will work on a decent pic later as well They do dominate the space! Beefy boys!

Comment

Totally fabulous, I'm sure they'll sound as good as they look. Bummer that's the last project....or is it...
                        A mains
                        The Ventures
                        Open Invit8tions
                        RSR
                        Sound Troopers
                        Acorns
                        DGBG's
                        The Monuments

Comment

Wow, I hope I can do the Malbec cabs justice, those are STUNNING. I seriously wondered how you were going to top the Malbecs, but no more. I'll hold my hat in my hand any time we speak from now on, sir.

I want to say more, but I honestly don't have the words.:eek:

Amazing.

Mark
                          You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

I don't know what was going on last night, but I just went through the speakers and disconnected then reconnected everything and - they are making music! Nice music at first listen.

I am pretty pleased with the first pass XO on initial listening - no measurements yet. I went for a rather strange alignment on the Ushers, placing them in a notably smaller than textbook box, and accepting a more closed-box like response (see Curt Campbell's write up on this approach). Sounds very tuneful and free from boom. Seems like best of both worlds. I may, however, pad down the mid and tweeter a couple of db. However, with the music I know well, and which I know to be good, they seem fine. Time will tell.

That U18 as a mid, with which I felt some nit-picky disappointment in the Malbecs sounds really, really fine. Wolf was right on them. Eventually, I will rotate in the CA18RLY's to see how they perform, and who knows, I may get into the Excel line before it is over.

The CSS LD25X tweeters sound very clean. I got a pair with not perfectly matching fs, sadly. Despite sounding very clean, it is immediately clear that they don't have the air and delicacy of the Hiquphons - and I already miss that. I may end up tailoring the XO for each one if they measure differently in the actual application.

Does anyone have an opinion about the LD22 tweeters? They are about all that will fit the existing cutout if I decide to change.

You are all invited to Prescott to have a listen. Get out of the cold!

Last Hurrah, last big speakers. It would be nice to get them to InDIYana or DIYIowa, but the six day commitment to drive them up there is a big one.

More in a couple of weeks, after some measurement.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                              I went for a rather strange alignment on the Ushers, placing them in a notably smaller than textbook box, and accepting a more closed-box like response (see Curt Campbell's write up on this approach). Sounds very tuneful and free from boom. Seems like best of both worlds.
                              I am not aware of Curt's write up but that sounds exactly like what I did on the last revision of the RUshers and what I'm currently simulating with the new Meniscus drivers that were used in Jeff's seminar.
                              Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Here is Curt's explanation. Really describes alignments as options on a continuum. Educational.

http://speakerdesignworks.com/Sealed_v_Vented.html
                                Last edited by maynardg; 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X