X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maynardg
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Nov 2005

Re: Last Hurrahs Build - finally got started

MDF is 1". The inside of the woofer bin will actually have a 3/4 baltic birch layer applied in several places, but not everywhere. Will stiffen walls and break up vibes at the same time. There will be MDF separating the mid and woofers, which I will cut on the table saw. The baffle will be 1" MDF and 3/4" Baltic birch sandwich further braced with Baltic birch between the woofers. Generally speaking, I rely more on mass than on braces.

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Aug 2008

It does seem to be a good performer off axis. at 2300 distortion should be quite low.
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• kanemack
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by maynardg
        MDF is 1". The inside of the woofer bin will actually have a 3/4 baltic birch layer applied in several places, but not everywhere. Will stiffen walls and break up vibes at the same time. There will be MDF separating the mid and woofers, which I will cut on the table saw. The baffle will be 1" MDF and 3/4" Baltic birch sandwich further braced with Baltic birch between the woofers. Generally speaking, I rely more on mass than on braces.
        i love heavy cabs. gonna need a forklift for this one. lift with the legs! good project.

Comment

• maynardg
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Nov 2005

Now this is a weird perspective. Sitting on a sloping driveway - looks like some weird off-kilter design. It is actually pleasing to the eye and looking pretty good. Braces and shelves tomorrow, then the 3/4 Baltic birch internal layers of the bass bin panels - glue and screw.

Slow progress.

https://

Comment

• lorenmjones
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Jan 2013

Yeah, nice optical illusion. Those are gonna be great. Are the woofers ported or sealed?
            Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

• maynardg
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Nov 2005

I don't recall the model just now, but it will be a notably "smaller than optimal" ported box. Improving on the bass reach of sealed, but tightening the response up a bit I expect. After all, it is not about ported or sealed, it is about response, slope, transient, group delay, etc. My best guess! based on the model.

Comment

• lorenmjones
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jan 2013

I don't recall the model just now, but it will be a notably "smaller than optimal" ported box. Improving on the bass reach of sealed, but tightening the response up a bit I expect. After all, it is not about ported or sealed, it is about response, slope, transient, group delay, etc. My best guess! based on the model.
                A smaller than "optimal" ported box tuned deep is a good option in many cases I think. Especially when the overall extension will be quite deep where more and more room gain comes into play. My speakers use such an alignment and start to very gently roll off below 40 but are only like 5 db down at 20. It works out pretty well in my room. Should be really nice.
                Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

• maynardg
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Nov 2005

Thick sides. Inch and 3/4 thick. Made of 1" MDF and 3/4" Baltic birch. With some bracing - oughta pass the rap test. Hope to have some tunes in another week.

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                    Obsessed & Proud of It
                    • Oct 2005

Thick sides. Inch and 3/4 thick. Made of 1" MDF and 3/4" Baltic birch. With some bracing - oughta pass the rap test. Hope to have some tunes in another week.

Hmmm

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• maynardg
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Nov 2005

A nice configuration! Are your baffles sloped as well?

Comment

• marvin
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher ®
                        Hmmm

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery....

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                          Obsessed & Proud of It
                          • Oct 2005

A nice configuration! Are your baffles sloped as well?
                          That's a new Selah offering featuring the RAAL 70-10D, Accuton mid, and dual RSS210 8" subs. I don't know if the baffle is sloped however.
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• maynardg
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Nov 2005

Mine will be LD25X over Seas U18RNX/P over a pair of Usher 8945A.

Thinking about Hiq OWII, though. Just love the Hiqs.

Who knows> They won't be done until they are done. Time. Not enough time.

Comment

• Paul K.
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Sep 2005

I sure hope you don't want "your" OWIIs back from my Amarosos!:eek:
                              Paul

Mine will be LD25X over Seas U18RNX/P over a pair of Usher 8945A.

Thinking about Hiq OWII, though. Just love the Hiqs.

Who knows> They won't be done until they are done. Time. Not enough time.

Comment

• maynardg
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Nov 2005

Not at all, Paul! LD25X it is. I just hope it is as good as the Hiqs.

Comment

Working...