X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maynardg
    replied
    Re: Last Hurrahs Build - finally got started

Ha ha! They are a bit, and the speakers are well over 100# each. So the XO's are in outboard boxes connected via Speakons. The speaker walls are 1.75" thick. Heavily braced. DEAD. Once place, I try not to move them!

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

Those crossovers must be HEAVY!

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied

I declare them done. Here is the XO if anyone is interested. Measures very well. Sounds great. Dynamic, tuneful. Very, very pleasing.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
    That U18 as a mid, with which I felt some nit-picky disappointment in the Malbecs sounds really, really fine. Wolf was right on them. Eventually, I will rotate in the CA18RLY's to see how they perform, and who knows, I may get into the Excel line before it is over..
    I really liked the mids in the Malbecs. That was really refined and CLEAN. CA18's are indeed no slouch, but I've not heard those yet. I'd pick the U18 over the W18 for mids.

My 2c,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied

You are correct, Sir! And now, so too, is the link.

Originally posted by marvin View Post
    Maynard, your link doesn't work for me. I think this is the page you wanted to link to? You may have a redundant http at the beginning.

Those are looking great....hope to hear them in the midwest sometime.....six days is a long commitment, but you need a break from the AZ heat sometimes. :p

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied

Maynard, your link doesn't work for me. I think this is the page you wanted to link to? You may have a redundant http at the beginning.

Those are looking great....hope to hear them in the midwest sometime.....six days is a long commitment, but you need a break from the AZ heat sometimes. :p

Here is Curt's explanation. Really describes alignments as options on a continuum. Educational.

http://http://speakerdesignworks.com..._v_Vented.html

Leave a comment:

• bmaupin
    replied

Despite sounding very clean, it is immediately clear that they don't have the air and delicacy of the Hiquphons - and I already miss that. I may end up tailoring the XO for each one if they measure differently in the actual application.
    I like 3/4" tweeters with their top end sparkle and I find tilting up the last octave on 1"+ domes to help simulate that sound. Up 1 to 2dB at 20k.

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied

Here is Curt's explanation. Really describes alignments as options on a continuum. Educational.

http://speakerdesignworks.com/Sealed_v_Vented.html
    Last edited by maynardg; 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

I went for a rather strange alignment on the Ushers, placing them in a notably smaller than textbook box, and accepting a more closed-box like response (see Curt Campbell's write up on this approach). Sounds very tuneful and free from boom. Seems like best of both worlds.
    I am not aware of Curt's write up but that sounds exactly like what I did on the last revision of the RUshers and what I'm currently simulating with the new Meniscus drivers that were used in Jeff's seminar.

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied

I don't know what was going on last night, but I just went through the speakers and disconnected then reconnected everything and - they are making music! Nice music at first listen.

I am pretty pleased with the first pass XO on initial listening - no measurements yet. I went for a rather strange alignment on the Ushers, placing them in a notably smaller than textbook box, and accepting a more closed-box like response (see Curt Campbell's write up on this approach). Sounds very tuneful and free from boom. Seems like best of both worlds. I may, however, pad down the mid and tweeter a couple of db. However, with the music I know well, and which I know to be good, they seem fine. Time will tell.

That U18 as a mid, with which I felt some nit-picky disappointment in the Malbecs sounds really, really fine. Wolf was right on them. Eventually, I will rotate in the CA18RLY's to see how they perform, and who knows, I may get into the Excel line before it is over.

The CSS LD25X tweeters sound very clean. I got a pair with not perfectly matching fs, sadly. Despite sounding very clean, it is immediately clear that they don't have the air and delicacy of the Hiquphons - and I already miss that. I may end up tailoring the XO for each one if they measure differently in the actual application.

Does anyone have an opinion about the LD22 tweeters? They are about all that will fit the existing cutout if I decide to change.

You are all invited to Prescott to have a listen. Get out of the cold!

Last Hurrah, last big speakers. It would be nice to get them to InDIYana or DIYIowa, but the six day commitment to drive them up there is a big one.

More in a couple of weeks, after some measurement.

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Wow, I hope I can do the Malbec cabs justice, those are STUNNING. I seriously wondered how you were going to top the Malbecs, but no more. I'll hold my hat in my hand any time we speak from now on, sir.

I want to say more, but I honestly don't have the words.:eek:

Amazing.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• 6thplanet
    replied

Totally fabulous, I'm sure they'll sound as good as they look. Bummer that's the last project....or is it...

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied

Now I've done this over 20 times - building new speakers that is. Never, though, have I had sound only from the mid. Too tired to troubleshoot safely, systematically, and effectively just now, and not likely until next week due to travel. So, I wait!

The cell phone picture does not capture the beauty of the wood. Not waxed yet anyway. Will work on a decent pic later as well They do dominate the space! Beefy boys!

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied

One down. Too tired to do the other one tonight. I'm ready to listen!

Leave a comment:

• lorenmjones
    replied

Really beautiful work maynardg. I'm not a huge fan of oak but your staining work is very nice and I love the shellac for the topcoat. I'm sure the anticipation is killing you. A very nice job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X