OT: Wrong answers are OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Wrong answers are OK?

Now I understand what Charlotte Iserbyt and John Taylor Gatto have been talking about.
    Watch this short video of Amanda August, Grayslake D46 Curriculum Director explaining the focus of Common Core Math. WOW!

LINK HERE
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    Website

Re: OT: Wrong answers are OK?

3x4 = 11. Very good Johnny! Here's a gold star for effort!

Why parents would put up with this is beyond me.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

This reminds me of the old saying: "There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who ask questions."
      DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
      The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
      The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
      The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
      AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Maybe this should apply to all things , like sports , if both teams try they'll both get a win , no matter the score!

Comment

Lunch Scholars
          No matter where you go, there you are.
          Website

Comment

I think i see an Abbott and Costello skit coming.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLprX...5E175610E06582

Comment

I use to tutor math to kids and there's a definite problem there. Math is often not learned logically but rather as set of rules that need to be mechanically repeated. For example, I came across the fact that multiplication tables are learned like as a set of words just as if you memorize a verse from the poem. Kids who had better memory or just spend more time memorizing the words, would score better on the test. They however had a slightest clue about mathematical aspect of the multiplication table.
              So, almost forcing the kids to explain how and why they arrived to the conclusion is a great idea. In the end 3x4 has only one correct answer and student will arrive to it eventually.
              The idea from what I see is not let the student walk away with a guess but rather explain how he/she arrived to the (correct/incorrect) answer and in the process learn logistics.
              http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

If you can find the pattern used to come to the "answer" then you can improve the form teaching takes. Any college science major is aware of credit for the "work" and still get the wrong answer.
                Kenny

DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Fully grasping the PROCESS is more important INITIALLY than worrying about silly mistakes. Silly mistakes are more easily dealt with later in LEARNING than is serious incomprehension of the PROCESS. Teaching 101...

The link in post #5 deals with IGNORANCE, not lack of IQ... two very different things.
                  "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                  ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
                    If you can find the pattern used to come to the "answer" then you can improve the form teaching takes. Any college science major is aware of credit for the "work" and still get the wrong answer.
                    +1

I once got a better grade on a final. I made a mistake in the processes that messed up the final answer. It was a stupid mistake and I was asked to correct it on the fly. I was able to come up with the correct answer and I was given full credit.

Human brains are not perfect calculators and mistakes will be made. Didn't a probe crash in to Mars once due to a error in unit conversions? Even with the best minds, mistakes can be made.

I don't know how basic math is taught today, but in the past, it was mainly taught to just memorize and not really know the processes. Not until you get in to higher education anyway.

I feel this video has been taken way out of context. The ideal of critical thinking is a positive, not a negative.

Comment

The problem is that in many cases, we take these approaches to the extreme when balance is needed between the approach. It is not a question of critical thinking vs. rote memorization it is knowing both and when to use them.

My son is just starting 4th grade. Last year I would be helping him with his math homework and he would need to do a simple multiplication as part of solving the a larger problem. He hasn't done the best job of memorizing his multiplication tables so rather than just knowing that 6*9=54 he would usually do 6*10 and then subtract 6. He knows the tricks and processes they have taught him pretty well. In this case, what should have been a 1 second operation using memorization became a 10-15 second process. I am glad he is starting to develop the skills to figure out things when he doesn't know the answer; but there are a lot of times when just knowing the answer makes the most sense.

Comment

it's easy to view the schools as suspect these days. watch the documentary "waiting for superman" and it's easy to see why. every kid is different when it comes to learning. i think the schools are trying to find a new way. now comes the ominous part. what do you want to bet that that woman was just using a training package from no child left behind? conspiracy? i'll be hiding behind my speakers.

Comment

My daughter learned the multiplication table the hard way, the way that makes no sense - she memorized it. Eventually, there were enough word problems (and that seems to be all she had to do in math up through 5th grade) that what she had once memorized started making sense.

When I was in high school, my math classes all consisted of "You will need this someday, so here are 500 problems to solve as homework and another 500 on the test and move on to the next class". These problems were very similar, and it was this way through Calc I. Just another variation of a 3rd grader memorizing a multiplication table.

My daughter started learning actual critical thinking in 6th grade. Most adults I know are incapable of that, that is due to their being taught math like they were taught history - that is to say, memorize exactly this, get a grade, graduate and go to work. Gatto was right about that. So was Quinn.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

so, I guess what Gowa meant is to say: wow, great teacher Amanda August is! She's pretty much spot on with Gatto on the issue of logical thinking. No?

Comment

Originally posted by kanemack View Post
                              it's easy to view the schools as suspect these days. watch the documentary "waiting for superman" and it's easy to see why. every kid is different when it comes to learning. i think the schools are trying to find a new way. now comes the ominous part. what do you want to bet that that woman was just using a training package from no child left behind? conspiracy? i'll be hiding behind my speakers.
                              I'd think critical thinking and explaining your work would go against bad education. Who knows though. In real life, you often get second chances to fix a mistake. Most of the time, no one even notices. At least if you notice it first and fix it right away. In schools grading systems, it is all black and white. When I was a kid, if the answer was 99% correct, it was wrong. This doesn't reflect real life.

Over the weekend I helped with a network where all the routers were set up wrong. The guy who set them up, teaches networking. The fix was simple. He just forgot a step. Each router took one setting change to fix everything. Does that make him stupid and 100% wrong? No. He made a human mistake. The fix wouldn't have been easy if the rest of the network wasn't correctly setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X