"The sound of music... is irrelevant"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The sound of music... is irrelevant"

More concrete proof of the ubiquitous and extremely powerful effects of visual bias:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...is-irrelevant/

What we can take away from this (something that they also point out in the article) is our general profound lack of insight into our own perceptual biases - I assume most of you have noticed how many members on this site will say something like "well, I'm sure that doesn't affect me" or "I'm sure I know my own ears well enough to still judge fairly" etc.
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Re: "The sound of music... is irrelevant"

Wait. We have people here who still deny that visual bias is real?

Comment

Someone in our audio society (CTaudio.org) recently posted a thread on the same subject with the same link. My response was: OMG! Does this mean more Lang Langs are going to be spawned?! If you've seen a Lang Lang performance, you'll know what I mean.
      Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

What's a lang lang?

Comment

Originally posted by Taran View Post
          What's a lang lang?
          It's big business in classical music. http://langlang.com/ Here is but one visual example.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKA65IEPw0Q

Comment

Seeing a live performance is all about being entertained. Someone that adds visual to their performance brings extra value.

There is no other way to explain the success of KISS.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
              It's big business in classical music. http://langlang.com/ Here is but one visual example.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKA65IEPw0Q
              Playing style: Bugs Bunny... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYM84n-2Sas

Comment

There is no other way to explain the success of KISS.
                Oh, but there is! "There's no business like SHOW business"! Historically, classical music has traditionally been 'all about the music'. However, the face of classical music is changing - perhaps to just survive.

Comment

This is one of the primary reasons Iron Driver is judged completely blind, speakers picked at random, and what the speaker looks like is not revealed until after all sound judging is complete. Furthermore the designer is not revealed until after the visual judging, and alas the visual judging only accounts for about 10-15% of the score.

Yet I believe many when they say that visual does not impact what they are hearing. You get to a point where you just dont care what a speaker looks like. I have heard many VERY attractive speakers almost drive me out of a room they sounded so poor, I have heard prototypes in raw MDF boxes that have blown my mind! Vice-versa too.

...Then again my car always rides better after I detail it... Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                    Oh, but there is! "There's no business like SHOW business"! Historically, classical music has traditionally been 'all about the music'. However, the face of classical music is changing - perhaps to just survive.
                    You're agreeing with me.

There is no other way to explain the success of KISS. If it weren't for the glitz, explosions, flash pans, costumes, they'd never have been noticed. Their music is just too forgettable and mediocre. Putting on an entertaining SHOW was the main focus, with music a very distant second.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

For a second there I thought this was going to be a thread about how if your wife made you watch the sound of music one more time that you were, literally, going to lose your ****.

"The hills are not ****ing alive because they had to hear this song a thousand times, and it killed them!"

Comment

Originally posted by NickJ View Post
                        For a second there I thought this was going to be a thread about how if your wife made you watch the sound of music one more time that you were, literally, going to lose your ****.

"The hills are not ****ing alive because they had to hear this song a thousand times, and it killed them!"
                        Hahaha, I was kind of almost thinking the same thing. I've seen that movie so many times, more times than I can remember. . . my wife even has a copy of it on VHS or DVD.

Comment

You're agreeing with me.

There is no other way to explain the success of KISS. If it weren't for the glitz, explosions, flash pans, costumes, they'd never have been noticed. Their music is just too forgettable and mediocre. Putting on an entertaining SHOW was the main focus, with music a very distant second.
                          I REALLY want to come up with some profound reasoning in order to sound smart as to why I want to stick up for my favorite band. But I just can't.

I will state for the record that I actually do like most of their music.
                          If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

Originally posted by the kid View Post
                            I REALLY want to come up with some profound reasoning in order to sound smart as to why I want to stick up for my favorite band. But I just can't.

You do not need to apologize or defend anything you like. Taste in music is personal, and there is no possible way to quantify what is considered "bad" or "good" - there are only opinions. Remember that much classical music were visual event scores.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by the kid View Post

You don't need to come up with any defense: It's your personal preference. I love the track Detroit Rock City and also Strutter.

Comment

Working...
                              X