6 1/2" Poly Buyout Woofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 1/2" Poly Buyout Woofer

Has anyone had the opportunity to play with the buyout " 6-1/2" Poly Cone Midbass Woofer 4 Ohm" yet? Any measurements or listening impressions? I was going to pick up a few to play with but I wanted to know if they were even worth the ~$5 asking price. Thanks in advance!

Re: 6 1/2" Poly Buyout Woofer

I may be mistaken here, but that looks identical to the woofer used in the B652...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652

Zaph measurement in the B652 cabinet:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Dayton-B652-FR-woofer-raw.gif
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Although the one Zaph shows has venting under the spider, so maybe that exclusion is what landed them in buyout land, or they are just a different woofer with the same cone, basket and front gasket. The magnet looks similar as well.

Comment

The buyout appears to be a 4 ohm as well. This looks like a nice candidate for a cheap car audio component setup.

Comment

Sorry to hammer this thread, but I see there is a significant price break for 80 and up. This implies a significant amount of inventory of these. I would be willing to do a quick design with this and maybe one of the cheaper Dayton or Vifa tweeters, if there is any interest in doing something with them.

The catch is, I ain't buying no more drivers this year.

Comment

From playing with my shopping cart, they appear to have more than four thousand, but less than five thousand in stock.
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Johnny, that's actually a pretty good upgrade to the stock B652 woofer by the specs they give. They're showing the Xmax as almost 1mm more than the OEM woofer. I may get some to play with in my quest for the "perfect" B652 for the buck. I'll play with them in a while. I'm at the car place getting my twuck's fluids, filters and bottom wiped. I'm almost out of battery for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                From playing with my shopping cart, they appear to have more than four thousand, but less than five thousand in stock.
                lol That amused me immensely for some reason. Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                  Sorry to hammer this thread, but I see there is a significant price break for 80 and up. This implies a significant amount of inventory of these. I would be willing to do a quick design with this and maybe one of the cheaper Dayton or Vifa tweeters, if there is any interest in doing something with them.

The catch is, I ain't buying no more drivers this year.
                  I was up at PE a couple weeks ago and asked for a couple of them in case anyone wanted to build a design. They also have some cheap tweeters as well, but I haven't looked to see if they're in the buy out section yet.

If anyone comes up with a design, I'd be willing to get front speakers baffles cut for super cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich H View Post
                    I was up at PE a couple weeks ago and asked for a couple of them in case anyone wanted to build a design. They also have some cheap tweeters as well, but I haven't looked to see if they're in the buy out section yet.

If anyone comes up with a design, I'd be willing to get front speakers baffles cut for super cheap.
                    If the woofers and some kind of tweeter comes my way, I will do a design with them. Like I said above, I am just not buying anymore drivers this year.

Comment

At that price, I'm thinking find a cheap tweeter and do a budget line array! Or a 6 woofer MTMWWWW 2.5 way. Then again, they don't really dig all that deep so a big tower that doesn't play low may be a dumb idea. A budget MTM maybe? Could make for a nice cheap HT setup.
                      My modest builds:
                      Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                      Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                      Armadillo Center Channel
                      Au-Rock-O Sub
                      Tarkus
                      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Did you see the size of recomended box?!

Comment

This driver is screaming for a crossover consisting of a single cap on the tweeter, like in the good ol days. I am sure that are box options that are less than the stated "recommended volume" on the product page, but note that Qts is high. Use your favorite box modeler and play around with the TS parameters and see what you can come up with. Make sure to keep excursion under Xmax... perhaps a large series cap would help in this regard?

Maybe mate it with a tweeter like this:
                          http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-965

This could be the ultimate el-cheapo system!

-Charlie
                          Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

A friend of mine wants me to replace a woofer in his surround that has foam rot. If this one will fit, and work OK, I can play with it for a while before giving it to him. It would be easy for me to knock out a 2-way TM with a Vifa BC25sc04 tweeter.

Comment

They do look a lot like the Dayton B652 woofer. I actually got a pair of Monoprice PN 8250. Looks like the same thing, only ported. If it is the same woofer or same family only 4ohms, I wouldn't expect great things.

Comment

Working...
                              X