X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub bass radiator

I have a pair of Polk Audio S10 speakers that have:
    1 x 1" dome tweeter
    1 x 7.5" driver - I assume the 7.5" speaker is a mid range speaker.
    1 x 10" sub bass radiator
    in each each speaker.
    The general specs are:
    Total Frequency Response 25Hz - 25kHz
    Upper -3dB Limit 23 kHz
    Lower -3dB Limit 39 Hz
    Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
    Efficiency 91 dB
    Recommended Amplifier Power 20 - 200 watts per channel

My question is this, I may have to replace the 7.5" speaker. Do I need a special speaker to make the bass radiator perform like it should?
    Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Re: Sub bass radiator

Yes. You need the stock driver in order for everything (box alignment, phase, crossover) to work as they were intended. Putting another driver in their will more than likely differ enough that changes to the crossover will be necessary
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Why might you have to replace the 7.5" speaker? Is it a bad surround or is it rubbing inside?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
        Why might you have to replace the 7.5" speaker? Is it a bad surround or is it rubbing inside?
        I had a 7.5 rebuilt and ever since then, the sound hasn't been "right". It seems to be missing some frequencies and/or some volume. It could very be the crossover malfunctioning, yes?
        Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

maybe. check the condition of the capacitors. If they have leaked fluid, they need to be replaced. If you go that route, be sure to replace all the caps in both speakers.
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I may have that driver, if you end up needing it. Can you post a pic?
            You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

What I would do as far as easy troubleshooting is:
              1: Make sure the driver is the same as the original driver in the other speaker, make sure there's no funny business
              2: Check the crossovers to be sure they're the same as well
              3: Check the polarity on the woofer, it may have been connected backwards and is causing interference
              4: On the passive, make sure they both have the same amount of weight added

Comment

QUOTE=Mark65;1933590]I may have that driver, if you end up needing it. Can you post a pic?[/QUOTE]
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20130829_121448_zpse945fdd6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1151238Click image for larger version

Name:	20130829_121456_zpsbf4fbaa3.jpg
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	1151239Click image for larger version

Name:	20130829_121419_zpsa975f559.jpg
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	1151240
                Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
                  What I would do as far as easy troubleshooting is:
                  1: Make sure the driver is the same as the original driver in the other speaker, make sure there's no funny business - Done, they are the same
                  2: Check the crossovers to be sure they're the same as well - Done, they are the same
                  3: Check the polarity on the woofer, it may have been connected backwards and is causing interference - Done, all is good
                  4: On the passive, make sure they both have the same amount of weight added - Done, all is good
                  I am thinking it is the 7.5 driver. I switched that driver to the other good speaker, with the same result in the switched speaker.
                  Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
                    I am thinking it is the 7.5 driver. I switched that driver to the other good speaker, with the same result in the switched speaker.
                    I can't believe I didn't think of that... Makes life easy.
                    You may be correct. What I would do is shop either Ebay or members here. I wouldn't go replacing it with a random driver because it will take a fair amount of work to get them right again.

I'm guessing you tried calling polk to see if they still have the driver around somewhere? They've been helpful to me in the past.

Comment

I'm at work right now, so I can't look and see for sure, but that looks an awful lot like the driver I have. If it's the right one you can have it.

Mark
                      You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
                        I'm at work right now, so I can't look and see for sure, but that looks an awful lot like the driver I have. If it's the right one you can have it.

Mark
                        Sweet, Let me know one way or the other if its the one.
                        Much appreciated.
                        Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Working...
                        X