Building my own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my own

I can't find any new speakers out here that wasn't made for home theater sound.
    So.. I am going to build my own.
    This is what I was looking at to put into the speaker.
    Dayton Audio ST210-8 8" Series II Woofer
    Aurum Cantus AC120/50CK 5" Midwoofer <this size may change
    Morel CAT 408 1-1/8" Compact Soft Dome Tweeter
    And the Dayton Audio XO3W-500/4K 3-Way Crossover 500/4,000 Hz

Do you think that crossover will do me justice?
    If not what would you suggest?
    Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Re: Building my own

You will hear this a lot, but an off the shelf crossover won't give you the results you're looking for. Your best bet is to let folks here know what you want out of this speaker; type of music, room conditions, amp, sources, budget, etc. With that information, you'll get a lot of suggestions. Building a proven design is they way to go unless you can actually design and model you're own speaker. Picking three drivers and a crossover will give you music, but you'll get MUCH better sounding music if you go with something that was designed, modeled, and proven. I know this because I thought the same thing a while back, tried it to some extent, and didn't like it. I've built several designs by others and have yet to be disappointed.
    Mike
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

The x-over is the heart of the speaker. Although a premade will work, there will be peaks, and or dips in the response. If you are just wanting a party speaker, or something for the garage, or if you plan to EQ it, you may be content with the performance. If you are really wanting more of an audiophile speaker, then a good x-over will be required. For some people, this will be hard to make. For others, after learning some things, and with the help of other members here, it will be possible. If you don't think you can handle the math, and computer simulation to make a x-over, you could find a DIY design that someone else has already done the x-over work, and build it. Don't underestimate the amount of help you can get here.

Comment

Speaker Box.pdf
        This is the speaker box design that was given to me by the Parts Express tech guy.
        I'll be listening to music in a smallish kind of room (11x15), using either a Yamaha Ax-596 or a Pioneer SA-7500.
        My goal is to be able to hear the lowest of lows, the highest of highs, and all points in between that the speakers can deliver.
        I want a 3-way speaker.
        I have never built a crossover, and I really don't understand the schematics and/or numbers that correspond with them.

If anybody can help design a good flexible crossover, I would greatly appreciate it.
        Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

What is it about a 3-way that you like? It's pretty amazing what a good 2-way will do, and do it "simpler." Add a small sub and it gets even better. Next question; how loud and what kind of music do you like? The amount of info you're likely to get might seem overwhelming, but in the end it will be worth it if your looking for the best sound for the money you spend. I just finished a pair of Jeff Bagby's Continuums (http://meniscusaudio.com/continuum-pair-p-1324.html) and am amazed at the sound. The RS28A tweeter is probably my favorite (from those I've heard). I put the speaker in a transmission line, so the bass is quite good too. Great speaker!!!
          Mike
          Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
            What is it about a 3-way that you like? It's pretty amazing what a good 2-way will do, and do it "simpler." Add a small sub and it gets even better. Next question; how loud and what kind of music do you like? The amount of info you're likely to get might seem overwhelming, but in the end it will be worth it if your looking for the best sound for the money you spend. I just finished a pair of Jeff Bagby's Continuums (http://meniscusaudio.com/continuum-pair-p-1324.html) and am amazed at the sound. The RS28A tweeter is probably my favorite (from those I've heard). I put the speaker in a transmission line, so the bass is quite good too. Great speaker!!!
            Mike
            With a 3-way I hope to eliminate the need for a powered sub. I have one right now and it is "just" okay.
            The volume on my stereo(s) are usually in low to mid levels, though I Do tend to crank it up when the occasion hits me.
            I have a Yamaha AX-596 and a Pioneer SA-7500 amp.
            I usually listen to almost anything. My music taste is far and wide.
            Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

what is your budget? and dies that include the cost of the cabinets and finishing? how large, size wise, are you willing to go?
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Please tell us, how much money do you want to spend, can you solder, do you have access to a table saw and plunge router?

Do you want a new hobby building and designing speakers, or do you just want a pair of speakers?

Would you believe what people here tell you in good faith or do you already know what you need to know?

Would you believe that some of the absolute top speaker designers are on this forum and give their advice and knowledge freely, along with some of their designs.

This is a great forum, and you can have a nice pair of speakers if you listen and learn.

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a broken record or sounding like anything other than trying to help a guy out, if you want the best bang for you buck, look at one of the MANY proven designs available. A 3-way won't necessarily eliminate the need for a powered sub, and a 2-way doesn't necessarily mean you need a powered sub.
                  Some suggestions: Take a look at some of these-
                  http://meniscusaudio.com/kits-c-133.html

http://www.parts-express.com/project...aker-projects/

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy

Plus, Wolf, JohnnyRichards, ChrisRoemer, Taterworks, MartyH, isaeagle4031, RonE, Paul Carmody, (all on the Tech Talk Forum) and MANY others have some great designs that will give you what you want. These guys seem to always be willing to help too. The amount of knowledge available on the forum is a huge resource that can provide some great sounding speakers. There are a lot of GREAT designs out there for the taking.
                  Mike
                  Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

The woofer you have selected is not going to reproduce the lowest of lows. Its f3 is only 53 hz. I'd be looking for an f3 closer to 40 hz.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                      what is your budget? and dies that include the cost of the cabinets and finishing? how large, size wise, are you willing to go?
                      As far as the drivers go, my budget is up to around 150 for each driver.
                      The cost the cabinets would be minimal compared to the drivers.

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      Please tell us, how much money do you want to spend, can you solder, do you have access to a table saw and plunge router?

Do you want a new hobby building and designing speakers, or do you just want a pair of speakers?

Would you believe what people here tell you in good faith or do you already know what you need to know?

Would you believe that some of the absolute top speaker designers are on this forum and give their advice and knowledge freely, along with some of their designs.

This is a great forum, and you can have a nice pair of speakers if you listen and learn.
                      I will spend, within reason, what it takes to get the sound I need to enjoy my music like I want.
                      I can solder.
                      I have a table saw, and I am in the process of getting a plunge router. (I only have fixed router right now)
                      I just want a pair of good sounding speakers, if the first pair comes out sounding "pretty good", this project may just fuel my desire for speaker building.

Because I am a novice at this, I would most likely believe what I am told here as the way to go. I was at another "Audio" forum asking for advice, and a lot of them came off sounding like pompous ***** that figured only the best sounds had to be bought from a retailer.
                      I am hoping I can get some useful info from you guys.
                      Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

i think at some point we all "just wanted a pair of speakers", this becomes an obsession pretty quickly. if you have tools and a little know how, you can build any design you want. although i have seen some amazing builds here where the builder used nothing but basic tools. if all you want is the end result of great speakers, try a kit. they go together with ease, and are proven time and time again.

Comment

you will get a lot of great advice here. But I will also say it is worth the effort to do your own homework as well. part of the enjoyment of this hobby is learning. I have made more than a few pairs of speakers that came out less than stellar. I was disappointed at first but have come to realize that I could use those as learning experiences. Now if I had done some more initial homework I would have reduced that learning curve.

Your budget sounds good and is completely doable but you should also take into account the cost of the enclosures, crossover parts, finish, etc. Thus is one if the biig reasons many here will recommend building a published and verified design. Something to get your feet wet and learn the basics before jumping into something larger on your own with the potential of spending a lot of time and funds.

As mike showed, look at Meniscus or diysoundgroup.com for some great kits. There are many 2ways that can cover the majority of the audio range only needing a sub for HT duty. Your room is small or I would recommend something like my intrepids. Paul Carmody's Tarkus design has been well received and can be built simpler than what is shown, enclosure wise.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

There are some good forums out there, but I think Tech Talk is the best place for a new enthusiast to learn about speakers. The people here are helpful and generous with their time and knowledge.

The only thing I would want to correct you on is your impression of subwoofers. You can build a very nice 2.1 system, a left and right speaker plus one sub.

Comment

I just looked at the two amps you mentioned. Neither has a sub out so actually a design like Paul C's Tarkus would be a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X