Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Well done! :D

Comment

Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

I like it. The Choti HT that i did is also surprising just how small it ends up being, and iirc it is an inch bigger in one direction, and 1/2 inch in another than the PE knock down cabinet. These are even smaller.

I was also impressed with the nd16fa. The amount of detail that it is able to pull is way more than a $10 (at the time) tweeter should.
      -Kerry

Comment

All,

I thought I'd take a moment so show some more pics that I've generated as I'm buttoning these up. First, here's a pic of the finalized crossover, built onto an ultra-small radioshack perf-board (pn 276-148). You'll note that I used some Erse components in here rather than the PE components, but that shouldn't make any difference. I just used what I had on hand.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	xover_800x600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1153213

I ended up adding in some male spade connectors in order to connect the speakers and terminals. Here's how I did that:

Name:	xover spades_600x800.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1153214

I screwed the crossover down right behind the tweeter. Because the front baffle is glued and nailed in, I had to make sure that the screw holes to mount the crossover lined up with the tweeter and subwoofer cutouts. This is to allow a long screwdriver to get in there and attach the PCB to the back panel:

Name:	xover mounted_600x800.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1153215

With regards to the stuffing, here's a relative picture of just how much stuffing got added to the box:

Name:	stuffing_600x800.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1153216

When everything is shoved in, the stuffing is hanging outside the box, and it will force the woofer out of the hole if the woofer is not screwed in:

Name:	woofer pushout_800x600.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1153217
        DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
        The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
        The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
        The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
        AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

For giggles, here's two pics some may enjoy:

First here's the final impedance and phase profile of the completed speaker:

Name:	Final Mariposa Impedance_800x431.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1153218

Finally, here's the Mariposa sitting next to the Continuum. FWIW, the Continuum is known as a "small" speaker. So, you can get a feel for just how small the Mariposa really is:

Name:	vs continuum_600x800.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1153219

Comment

Did you also happen to test the HIBM65C20-8 in a ported enclosure?

Comment

Sorry, no - I've not done that. However, I believe johnnyrichards has...

Comment

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
                Finally, here's the Mariposa sitting next to the Continuum. FWIW, the Continuum is known as a "small" speaker. So, you can get a feel for just how small the Mariposa really is:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]40720[/ATTACH]
                Great work Tyger! The Mariposa's are really small. They make that keyboard look like it belongs to Andre the Giant. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Pete00t View Post
                  Did you also happen to test the HIBM65C20-8 in a ported enclosure?
                  The Qts is too high to model well in a vented enclosure unless the enclosure is much larger (3-5X), defeating the objective here (ultra small).
                  Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
                    The Qts is too high to model well in a vented enclosure unless the enclosure is much larger (3-5X), defeating the objective here (ultra small).
                    I have the hiwave but not the tweeters, but I can probably take a stab at a thin tower in the next few weeks... I have a gift project of similar dimensions coming up, and can clamp on a temporary baffle and run it fullrange.
                    TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

I finally got around to finishing the paint job on these, so I thought I would share.

Keep in mind that this represents the "toning down" of an over-excited and over-creative 5 year old girl.

Anyways, enjoy.

FWIW, the glitter letters on the speaker cone are a monogram of her name. They probably weigh less than 1/2 a gram, so I doubt they did anything to change the thiele small parameters.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394565663.789953.jpg
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	1157197Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394565673.071493.jpg
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	1157198Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394565684.671385.jpg
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	1157199

Comment

I don't know who is luckier,,,, you or your daughter! Very cute!

Comment

I finally got around to finishing the paint job on these, so I thought I would share.

Keep in mind that this represents the "toning down" of an over-excited and over-creative 5 year old girl.

Anyways, enjoy.

FWIW, the glitter letters on the speaker cone are a monogram of her name. They probably weigh less than 1/2 a gram, so I doubt they did anything to change the thiele small parameters.

[ATTACH]45458[/ATTACH][ATTACH]45459[/ATTACH][ATTACH]45460[/ATTACH]
                          There is definitely some cause for joy there.

Good job Dad!

Kevin
                          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                          OS MTM's
                          Digger 8 sub
                          Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                          Sprite Build
                          Wolf's PC Speakers
                          Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

[ATTACH]45459[/ATTACH]
                            I didn't know that mids could sparkle, thought that was reserved for the treble! :D
                            These came out awesome!

Comment

Nice little speakers and a great paint job. I'm sure your daughter loves them. Now,... on to the subwoofer.

-Bob
                              -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                              My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                              The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Good job on the finish for these. I love seeing alternative finishes on enclosures.

I was glad to see you update this thread, as I have been looking into desktop solutions for work. Given the price point on these, I pulled the trigger on the parts for these last night, save for the knockdown cabinet. I'm still deciding on the cabinet design though. They're small enough to get creative without having to worry about screwing up. Biggest thing will be keeping the baffle close to spec because I'm trying to come up with a curved design. Thanks for your hard work and I can't wait to get going on these.

Comment

Working...
                                X