Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
    I finally got around to finishing the paint job on these, so I thought I would share.

Keep in mind that this represents the "toning down" of an over-excited and over-creative 5 year old girl.

Anyways, enjoy.

FWIW, the glitter letters on the speaker cone are a monogram of her name. They probably weigh less than 1/2 a gram, so I doubt they did anything to change the thiele small parameters.

[ATTACH]45458[/ATTACH][ATTACH]45459[/ATTACH][ATTACH]45460[/ATTACH]

Nice - I love them!
    Brian Steele
    www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Fixthedoor - I hope you enjoy them. Fwiw, I really think buying the cabinets for $19/pair is worth it. These things are so small, they're hard to work with unless you're pretty handy with woodworking.

Also, when I rebuilt them after paint, I used about half the stuffing. It helped the bass marginally, but probably lowered the power handling. These sound really nice with a LP-2020a+, which is also worth the current sale price of $19.
      DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
      The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
      The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
      The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
      AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

I thought about getting the knockdowns, but building the enclosures is the fun part for me as I don't know enough yet to start designing my own speakers. Good to know about the stuffing. I picked up a 2x50W TDA7492 to power them for now. I won't ever use all the power, but I wanted to have something to play around with when I eventually replace it with 2.1 TPA3116 based board.

Comment

Finished them up last night, for the most part.

This was very challenging because on more than one occasion the plies came apart, I wouldn't be surprised if the cabinets are leaky. The insides have a couple coats of glue as a precautionary measure. Finish-wise they're good twenty footers. I have areas that didn't get sanded enough and some areas that didn't get enough filler.

Listening impressions: I'm currently listening to them at work and these are a big step up from the 2.1 Altec Lansing system I had been using. Particularly at lower volumes I'm able to hear so much more of the music. Good work and thanks for design tyger!

Comment

Great looking cabinets fixthedoor. I have these drivers on hand and also have been eyeballing this design as an upgrade for the work system. Thanks for providing some inspiration/motivation to get started on mine!

Comment

Originally posted by fixthedoor View Post
              Finished them up last night, for the most part.

Awesome looking cabinets! I'm impressed! I hope you enjoy them.

Comment

+1

Those look cool!
                Craig

Comment

Very nice! Have any cutaway views?
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. The translam enclosures gave me h3ll, and I almost gave up on them multiple times. Last of which was when I was pushing the ND16 in and one of the plies split, so very frustrating. Unfortunately I didn't take in build pictures on this one Wolf. I was too busy licking my wounds and calming myself down.

I'm enjoying them very much Tyger, when no one's around, the volume has a tendency to get turned up . For $50 in parts these are awesome! I love that you designed them for an office desk situation, job well done.

Comment

I'm gonna place a bet that your laminations came apart on factory-glued locations rather than where you joined them together...

Comment

Exactly. From delamination to chunks falling out. After cutting out the centers of each layer, about 3/8" - 1/2" of material was left. If I kept the thickness closer to 3/4" I probably wouldn't have had as many issues.

Comment

FYI - Looks like the woofer brand and part number has changed with Tectonic Elements buying out HiWave.

The new woofer part number is: TEBM65C20F-8
                          http://www.parts-express.com/tectoni...-ohm--297-2156

Appears to be no changes other than the part number. Enjoy! If anyone knows how to edit the subject of a thread, let me know.

Comment

I just completed my build of these speakers. I went with the knockdown cabinets and could have done a bit better job with the initial sanding before the coat of watered down glue to seal up the wood before painting. After several coats of primer, some of which were high build which didn't really seem to help fill imperfections, I used chalk board paint for a nice matte black appearance. The speakers sound great! Thanks to tyger for a great small box speaker design that I plan to mount high on the walls as zone 2 speakers for several rooms. I filled the box with polyfill with the updated amount. I'd also like to note that routing for the recessed woofer was tricky for such a small baffle. I ended up screwing down the baffle to a saw horse using the portion of wood that would be later removed for the woofer for stability when routing. I'll try to get some final pics up soon.
                            Thanks again,
                            Nate

Update: I have attached a pic of the completed speakers.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	588.5 KB
ID:	1158923
                            Last edited by silverD; 07-03-2014, 04:28 PM. Reason: Added pic
                            My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Awesome, I'm glad you're pleased with them! I find myself more pleased with them as time goes on. They're not fantastic, but they're really good as a desktop or "fill-music" type build. They'll do great as a surround as well!

Comment

Here they are mounted in the dining room powered by a LP-2020A+ with a 12V 3A laptop brick and WeMo switch. The input is from the zone 2 preouts on our RX-A810 in the living room. It's great being able to fully control our A/V equipment by smartphone.

Name:	speakers.jpg
Size:	855.5 KB
ID:	1159177

Name:	lepai.jpg
Size:	591.6 KB
ID:	1159178
                                My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Working...
                                X