Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOBinGA
    replied
    Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Nice little speakers and a great paint job. I'm sure your daughter loves them. Now,... on to the subwoofer.

-Bob

Leave a comment:

• Adam_G
    replied
    Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
    FWIW, the glitter letters on the speaker cone are a monogram of her name. They probably weigh less than 1/2 a gram, so I doubt they did anything to change the thiele small parameters.
    [ATTACH]45459[/ATTACH]
    I didn't know that mids could sparkle, thought that was reserved for the treble! :D
    These came out awesome!

Leave a comment:

• kevin007
    replied

I finally got around to finishing the paint job on these, so I thought I would share.

Keep in mind that this represents the "toning down" of an over-excited and over-creative 5 year old girl.

Anyways, enjoy.

FWIW, the glitter letters on the speaker cone are a monogram of her name. They probably weigh less than 1/2 a gram, so I doubt they did anything to change the thiele small parameters.

[ATTACH]45458[/ATTACH][ATTACH]45459[/ATTACH][ATTACH]45460[/ATTACH]
    There is definitely some cause for joy there.

Good job Dad!

Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Psycoacoustics
    replied

I don't know who is luckier,,,, you or your daughter! Very cute!

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

I finally got around to finishing the paint job on these, so I thought I would share.

Keep in mind that this represents the "toning down" of an over-excited and over-creative 5 year old girl.

Anyways, enjoy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394565663.789953.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	1157197Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394565673.071493.jpg
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	1157198Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394565684.671385.jpg
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	1157199

Leave a comment:

• patrickm
    replied

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
    The Qts is too high to model well in a vented enclosure unless the enclosure is much larger (3-5X), defeating the objective here (ultra small).
    I have the hiwave but not the tweeters, but I can probably take a stab at a thin tower in the next few weeks... I have a gift project of similar dimensions coming up, and can clamp on a temporary baffle and run it fullrange.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied

Originally posted by Pete00t View Post
    Did you also happen to test the HIBM65C20-8 in a ported enclosure?
    The Qts is too high to model well in a vented enclosure unless the enclosure is much larger (3-5X), defeating the objective here (ultra small).

Leave a comment:

• jclin4
    replied

Finally, here's the Mariposa sitting next to the Continuum. FWIW, the Continuum is known as a "small" speaker. So, you can get a feel for just how small the Mariposa really is:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]40720[/ATTACH]
    Great work Tyger! The Mariposa's are really small. They make that keyboard look like it belongs to Andre the Giant. :p

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

Sorry, no - I've not done that. However, I believe johnnyrichards has...

Leave a comment:

• Pete00t
    replied

Did you also happen to test the HIBM65C20-8 in a ported enclosure?

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

For giggles, here's two pics some may enjoy:

First here's the final impedance and phase profile of the completed speaker:

Name:	Final Mariposa Impedance_800x431.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1153218

Finally, here's the Mariposa sitting next to the Continuum. FWIW, the Continuum is known as a "small" speaker. So, you can get a feel for just how small the Mariposa really is:

Name:	vs continuum_600x800.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1153219

Leave a comment:

• tyger23
    replied

All,

I thought I'd take a moment so show some more pics that I've generated as I'm buttoning these up. First, here's a pic of the finalized crossover, built onto an ultra-small radioshack perf-board (pn 276-148). You'll note that I used some Erse components in here rather than the PE components, but that shouldn't make any difference. I just used what I had on hand.

Name:	xover_800x600.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1153213

I ended up adding in some male spade connectors in order to connect the speakers and terminals. Here's how I did that:

Name:	xover spades_600x800.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1153214

I screwed the crossover down right behind the tweeter. Because the front baffle is glued and nailed in, I had to make sure that the screw holes to mount the crossover lined up with the tweeter and subwoofer cutouts. This is to allow a long screwdriver to get in there and attach the PCB to the back panel:

Name:	xover mounted_600x800.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1153215

With regards to the stuffing, here's a relative picture of just how much stuffing got added to the box:

Name:	stuffing_600x800.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1153216

When everything is shoved in, the stuffing is hanging outside the box, and it will force the woofer out of the hole if the woofer is not screwed in:

Name:	woofer pushout_800x600.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1153217

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied

I like it. The Choti HT that i did is also surprising just how small it ends up being, and iirc it is an inch bigger in one direction, and 1/2 inch in another than the PE knock down cabinet. These are even smaller.

I was also impressed with the nd16fa. The amount of detail that it is able to pull is way more than a $10 (at the time) tweeter should.

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied

Well done! :D

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied

These look very interesting... I need to find a place where I can make sawdust...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X