Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

Here's a 2.1 system with 3/4" Aspen Mariposas and DanP's NRNP sub. The Mariposas sound good paired with a sub.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + HIBM65C20-8)

I used this design to build into my first blue tooth boom box. I went ported to get the lowest extension that I could. I ended up at about 5.75 liters tuned to 55hz. Modeled F3 is 45 hz. I am stunned at the performance. Take my two overnight sensations and place them close together and it is not even close. The mariposa turned boom box is stellar in my opinion.

I brought it in to work and let a few "audiophiles" at work have a test drive. None are DIY types but all were very impressed. One individual is a musician and has his own recording studio. He commented that it sounded like a studio monitor. I took that as a compliment.

The original design of the Mariposa was sealed. This is ported and man does it deliver in the bass department. I am going to have a shot at a similar project using the Aura NS-3 and Paul C's Sprite filter. I'll be suprised if it delivers better bass than this!

Thanks for the killer design!!

Comment

Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + TEBM65C20F-8)

Did you change the cross over design since you ported them out leave it as is?

Comment

Re: The Mariposas - An ultra small, extremely versatile 2-way (ND16FA + TEBM65C20F-8)

I changed nothing in the cross over design. From what I believe that I have learned here, as long as you don't mess with the driver placement too much, then you don't need, nor want to mess with the crossover. By porting, all I believe that I have done is extended the lower range that the woofer can reproduce by changing the tuning of the cabinet. I also realize that by allowing the woofer to play lower, means that I have to be careful in application of power to not allow the woofer to exceed it's electrical and mechanical limits (Xmax and Xlim).

I usually listen at lower volumes, so always seem to want that extra bass extension, and as such usually take perfectly good designs as this and see if I can get them to play at low volumes without the need for a sub woofer. At my listening levels, in smaller rooms, this little guy really delivers!

If you are really new to this, remember, you can easily play with the box tuning to change a good design a bit more to your liking but don't mess with the crossover. The crossover is the "magic" to these excellent designs!

Comment

Originally posted by blackie View Post
            Thanks for the killer design!!
            Blackie - I'm glad you like them. They perform well out of their weight class, and I'm glad the crossover works in your design. So long as the baffle width and driver spacing to the top of the baffle don't change, then all should be well.

If you can, please post a picture. I'd love to see the boom box!
            DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
            The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
            The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
            The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
            AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Blackie - can you post enclosure and port dimensions as well? I've been enjoying these at my desk for over a year and am curious what the size difference is.

Comment

Here's a few very bad photo's of the blue tooth speaker that I built using Tyger23's excellent Mariposa design. As this was a boom box type design, I did take liberties that I should not have with driver placement and baffle design. I let asthetics rule my driver placement. Even so, I apparently got lucky in that it sounds so very good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_200649.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1167170

Name:	20150517_202121.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1167171

Name:	20150517_202457.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1167172

Name:	20150625_054719.jpg
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1167173

Comment

fixthedoor,

Here are some images from WinISD that show my box volume, tuning and port dimensions etc for the ported, bluetooth boombox that I did base on the Mariposa.

Name:	TFM.jpg
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	1167174

My vents were 1 1/4 " ID x 4.5" length.

My advice would be to keep the original Mariposa baffle width. Also keep the Mariposa designs driver placement the same with respect to the top and sides of the baffle. If you want a larger, perhaps ported design, increase your box volume by adding height and / or depth.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for posting info and pics. Very sweet boombox! I like the panel and electronics, very neat and tidy. Are they all PE parts?

Regarding the enclosure volume, that's a pretty substantial increase, but a necessary evil for that tuning. The curve looks like your boombox definitely has some "boom". I'll have to play around with WinISD some to see if upsizing makes sense for me. Two things I appreciate about the Mariposas are the cost and the size. As is they only take up a little more real estate than a commercial offering.

Comment

Yes, it is a big upscale in volume to get the low end extension that I wanted. Now, I have no measurement tools mind you, but to my ear the low frequency response is most likely flatter than WinISD is modeling. I read in another post where this techtonics driver has better measured specs than what is published. I am about to order DATS so that I can at least do impedance sweeps and see if my box tuning is even what I believe it to be.

Obviously, with a boom box design, I'm missing out on imaging not to mention just stereo separation. I am so impressed with what I ended up with that I am about to build a set of book shelf mariposa's with the same tuning that I came up with for the blue tooth box.

Comment

Forgot to mention the amplifier that I used. Another member recommended this one to me and I am very pleased with it. It has bluetooth on board so no extra module needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181563274797

Name:	$_12.JPG
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1167175

I used a 19V 4 Amp laptop brick. I also bought a $5 AC USB charger cube from 7-11 and installed that so I can charge off of it. Most other parts are from PE!

Comment

Originally posted by blackie View Post

Here's a few very bad photo's of the blue tooth speaker that I built using Tyger23's excellent Mariposa design. As this was a boom box type design, I did take liberties that I should not have with driver placement and baffle design. I let asthetics rule my driver placement. Even so, I apparently got lucky in that it sounds so very good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58413[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]58414[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]58415[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]58416[/ATTACH]
                          Pretty funky looking boom box i like how it looks in the photos, interested to know how it sounds/performs considering this post is a few years old. would you change anything?

Comment

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post

Again, I had conceptualized these to be small, affordable computer monitors. With that in mind, I took the FRD and tuned them in this environment:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40067[/ATTACH]

Basically, I set up the speakers flanking a 15" laptop. This tuning turned out surprisingly well, because the speakers worked as bookshelf speakers placed slap up against the wall, or as free-standing speakers (more on that later). Essentially, these guys just work well in most environments.

I will note one word of caution - when flanking a computer monitor or laptop, make sure the tweeters are on the OUTSIDE of the computer. For some reason, this made a tremendous difference in the phasing, and the tuning turned out much better this way.

Since this is a low-cost build, I wanted to keep with a low-cost crossover. So, there's just 5 parts total!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40068[/ATTACH]

It's ultra-simple, very small, and very cheap. I used NPE caps for this build mostly because I don't think the drivers deserve anything better than that. They're crossing over around 3K. It's tough to really nail down an exact crossover point because of the way the HiWave's dip at 2K affects it's frequency response. However, there's a decent reverse null occurring around 3K when you reverse the tweet. Here's how the individual driver response looks:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40070[/ATTACH]

In the above environment (flanking the comptuer), the response turns out quite well. Here's the response curve at 0deg, 30deg, and 45deg:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40069[/ATTACH]

And here's the distortion curve in the nominal listening environment:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40071[/ATTACH]
                            I love the setup, quick question from noob, i'm assuming the crossover and the sealed box go hand in hand, ie size of box v choice of components. If one was going to consider using the same tweeter and driver (well the rebadged tectonic) but using a vented box around 0.15cu.ft per driver, would this choice of cross over still be applicable?

Comment

Should work OK. It's suggested to add the volume either to the bottom (keeping the baffle width and the driver layout the same w/respect to the top edge of the baffle) or depthwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X