X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa DIY: Equipment needs, labor needs and a brief list of expectations

Gentlemen,

The event is just over a month away!

We are in need of some basic equipment, not a lot so a short list is in order.

1. Amplifier

2. Pre-amp

3. DAC?

4. Interconnects

5. ~24" stands

I will be bringing the following items:

Oppo DV-981 to act as transport

5 tap "Squid" surge protector

12/3 extension cord

Tool kit containing various pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, tape, zip ties, some wire and whatever else I can fit in it

Multimeter

DB meter

2x 12' 12awg male banana to male banana cables

2x 3' 12awg female banana to pin (adapter in case someone brings speakers with spring clip terminals

I will also throw some various interconnects in the bag, as well. Never hurts to have extras.

Some recommendations for whomever brings the electronics: do not forget the power cord, and if possible a replacement fuse or two. I have not seen a fuse blow at one of these things, but not a bad idea to bring one with.

Labor needs:

1. Bryan will be busy running the live broadcast, and probably acting as official photographer but we strongly recommend bringing your own camera, as well. I will be doing the emcee role, watching the clock, helping setup the speakers and generally being a PITA.

2. Set up - we are looking for a couple-three of you to help us set things up. This will include positioning speakers on the stage prior to the event, setting the electronics up, moving tables, hanging sponsor banners, setting up the door prizes, stuff like that. Keep in mind setup will be starting at 7:00 AM!

3. Tear down - ideally, the same group that helps us set up will help us tear down, only in reverse. It will go quicker and smoother if the guy who set the amp up also tears it down.

Now for a very general list of expectations:

1. Have fun! This is not a formal competition, everyone has equal chance at any of the door prizes, and we will encourage a friendly atmosphere.

2. To win the door prizes, you must be present - we will be drawing throughout the course of the event - not just at lunch like we originally envisioned. So remember to register when you show up!

3. Name tags are encouraged, and will be provided. It is helpful to write down your forum handle as well as your real name.

4. Feedback forms will be available, but not required.

5. Please make sure your speakers are banana or pin capable! We will not be swapping speaker cables in and out - this is to maximize the amount of demo time we all have. If you normally bi-amp or bi-wire, please provide some kind of jumper cable.

6. We will be providing a five minute house track - including a 10 second pink noise burst for setting SPL level. That leaves ten minutes in your time slot for physical set-up, Q&A, introductions, and additional music. Please plan ahead for your time slot so we do not run over. There will be plenty of assistance on the physical side.

7. Lunch will be Pizza Ranch. You real mid-westerners know what that means

8. The earlier everyone shows up, the easier it will be to get the speakers positioned on the stage in time for the 8:30AM start.

If you are interested in volunteering time or equipment, feel free to contact us at [email protected], or through our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/iowa2013

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you all!
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: Iowa DIY: Equipment needs, labor needs and a brief list of expectations

email sent
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

same.

Comment

I'll be your roadie. It's the least I can do, and if you need more from me, just ask.

Mark
        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

I will bring my stands and am willing to help as well as I always have.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I forgot to add a 2-wheel dollie or two to the list.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Dang, I'm so far from Iowa...:-(
              Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
              ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
              LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project
              The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

We will have Rory's ML pre, which is quickly becoming a staple in the DIY event world.

I have several offers for power amps. I will be bringing a backup Adcom GFA555mkII. Gimme a week or so to get back to folks via email. Thanks for all the offers thus far.

As you all know, it's a pretty long haul from the parking lot to the stage, so trucks and dollies are really needed. I know for sure we will have one dolly (Doug) and one truck (me). A couple more of each won't hurt.
                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I have a small collapsible 2 wheel dolly I can bring.

Ron
                  C-Note Iron Driver Build
                  The Lydias
                  The Cherry π's
                  The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                  My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Would you specify the limit on the music we bring?

I believe it was 8-9 minutes, but that seems to long with a 5 minute house track and set up.
                    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Can you let us know what songs are on the house track so that we don't accidentally duplicate them on our own track and waiste valuable listening time?
                      Craig

Comment

Is there any set-up that can be done Friday evening, such as hanging banners or setting speakers for those who have them their Friday evening?
                        I'm willing to help and can bring a set of stands that are ~30".
                        Mike
                        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                        Bismarck, North Dakota
                        My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
                        My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Next Year...............

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                            Would you specify the limit on the music we bring?

I believe it was 8-9 minutes, but that seems to long with a 5 minute house track and set up.
                            John/All,

JR and I will be putting together a 5-min music montage with 10-second intro of pink noise for calibration. Exhibitors can do whatever they want after that as long as they stick to the 15-minute presentation slot. Several folks have offered to help set up/tear down each system. With that in mind, I anticipate a smooth flow of presentations. Man, I really wish we weren't so pressed for time, but this seems to be the only way to keep it fair for everyone.

Keep in mind, we're allocating for 27-30ish pair of speakers. We're not there yet. I think we're at 24. On game day we will of course do a quick reassessment and if we can extend the presentation time slots, of course it will be done. Think "worst case scenario = 15 min" and prepare from that standpoint.
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                              Can you let us know what songs are on the house track so that we don't accidentally duplicate them on our own track and waiste valuable listening time?
                              For sure but we won't have that info for at least a full week or so. I will email a track listing well ahead of time. Feel free to bring as much sappy female jazz as humanly possible because there will be none of that in the house montage.
                              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Working...
                              X