Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a crossover....is this close enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a crossover....is this close enough?

Im not really sure what the allowance is on building a crossover. If my measurements call for

L= .38mh, .85mh, .28mh
    and the closest i can get is

.30mh, .40mh, .85mh I can get

C= 5.31uf, 15.92uf, 9.48uf
    and closest I can get is
    5.6uf, 15uf, 10uf

Wing it? And anyone have any suggestion for caps. Using non polarized electrolytic 100v.

Re: Building a crossover....is this close enough?

For the inductors you will probably have to get as close as possible as I have read that you really shouldn't wire 2 together. As for the caps you can wire 2 in series or parallel. So for the 9.48uf you could use 2 4.7uf caps wired in parallel for a total of 9.4uf. This can be done with caps or resistors. Hope this helps.
    Jeff

Comment

Without knowing the design and what DCR is acceptable for the coils, I'd use these:

0.27 mH PE# 255-216
      0.37 mH PE# 255-222
      0.85 mH PE# 255-244

5.1 uF PE# 027-423
      10 uF PE# 027-428
      15 uF PE# 027-432
      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

It is a Delta 15 8 ohm and a Eminence ASD 1001 tweeter. 8 ohm

Comment

Just model your "non-optimum" values into your XO design, and see if you like it.

Comment

^ good idea

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              Just model your "non-optimum" values into your XO design, and see if you like it.
              +1

That's what I always do when I get values that aren't available.
              -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                Just curious what everyone's using for their XO design.

Comment

For modeling? Jeff Bs Passive crossover designer is what I use.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I use speaker workshop for the final integration of driver data and crossover simulation, but it is not complete system by itself. I use hornrep for box simulation, edge for baffle diffraction, and boxsim for minimum phase simulation, then libreoffice spreadsheet for the modification of the output from all of those programs into proper frd and zma files.

When I simulate a crossover I never use anything but values I could easily buy in the simulation.
                    Pro/Fi Cinema Speaker project: "From the Ashes"

Comment

I'm building the ER18 MTM and the .06mH inductor wasn't available off the shelf. I called Madisound and they were able to wind the inductors I needed for a nominal upcharge.
                      DIY "Career" - TriTrix Speakers, "Repackaged" Tripath T Amp, Stereo LM3886 Amp, B1 Buffer, Dual Mono LM3875 Amp, Boozhound Labs JFET Phono Preamp, ER18 MTM Speakers // Trust me, I'm a musician.

Comment

But remember that especially capacitors are rarely within a couple percent of the actual value. I would measure the final "capacitor" whether it is a single component or comprised of series or parallel caps.

Comment

Originally posted by gman76 View Post
                          But remember that especially capacitors are rarely within a couple percent of the actual value. I would measure the final "capacitor" whether it is a single component or comprised of series or parallel caps.
                          Excellent point. I measure all the values when building Xo's, and electrolytics vary a good amount from the listed value, and from each other. Decent poly caps, like Bennics'/Dayton's tend to be pretty close to spec. I've had some resistors be way off, and always buy multiples so I can match them.
                          Last edited by chrisn; 09-30-2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdocod View Post
                            I use speaker workshop for the final integration of driver data and crossover simulation, but it is not complete system by itself. I use hornrep for box simulation, edge for baffle diffraction, and boxsim for minimum phase simulation, then libreoffice spreadsheet for the modification of the output from all of those programs into proper frd and zma files.

When I simulate a crossover I never use anything but values I could easily buy in the simulation.
                            I just downloaded Speaker Workshop. Since I am not very experienced (my builds are focused more on guitar, bass, and some light PA cabs anyway) the program looks a bit intimidating. HA. Im use to WINISD and Eminence designer. Crossovers are a whole new beast for me. I downloaded the Excel Spreadsheet based crossover designer but my new computer doesnt have excel. I didnt realize speaker workshop had any kind of simulator. Do I need to basically re-build my enclosure in speaker workshop to get my crossover simulation? It doesn't seem as straight forward in box building as what im use to so may take a minute.

Comment

Since im not very experience in a good crossover design, this may be a dumb question. What kind of results would I have if the DCR is not acceptable. This is something I havent taken into consideration. If it helps....my driver is an Eminence Delta 15 and ASD1001 tweeter

Comment

Working...
                              X