Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Grinnell or Bust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron_E
    started a topic Grinnell or Bust

Grinnell or Bust

After the recent 101 degree weather in the midwest I've finally been able to stand working in the garage on my Grinnell project. Hopefully I'll be able to get them done in time.

Glue Up
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Glue Up.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1186708

Boxes

Name:	Cabs 1.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1186709

Boxes with 1 1/4 inch round overs

Name:	Cabs with Roundover.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1186710

Nice round over

Name:	No Tear Out.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1186711

Tear out

Name:	Tear Out.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1186712

It's gone pretty well so far except the the tear out on the Baltic birch round overs. I think some of the plywood layers weren't glued very well. I was taking 1/8 inch passes and some sides were fine and some weren't. I was seeing the same thing when I was cutting up the panels on the table saw. Some cuts were clean and some chipped badly. I already have a new batch of wood filler. ;-) Next up will be the cherry veneer and some solid cherry corners.

Ron

• Ron_E
    replied
    Re: Grinnell or Bust

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    I saw those little Onkyos and was wondering if they'd be enough for that huge venue and they certainly were. I presently have more amplifiers than I know what to do with so that part of the equation is already solved. Have measurement gear too and always a couple old PCs sitting around that might actually work. UE might very well be my Christmas present to myself (which I always do after Christmas), so be prepared for a barrage of questions probably after New Year's. You might want to preemptively put me on ignore.
    Bring them over between blizzards and we'll set them up. :D

Ron

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

I saw those little Onkyos and was wondering if they'd be enough for that huge venue and they certainly were. I presently have more amplifiers than I know what to do with so that part of the equation is already solved. Have measurement gear too and always a couple old PCs sitting around that might actually work. UE might very well be my Christmas present to myself (which I always do after Christmas), so be prepared for a barrage of questions probably after New Year's. You might want to preemptively put me on ignore.

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

Is this the first successful UE project shown at a DIY? I've always wanted to hear a project with the UE implementation and I'm really sold on it. I don't know when I'll have the proper funds for the project but hearing the system and seeing Ron's measurements really confirms that it's indeed a superb product.
    I thought I'd seen mention of a system before and did a little digging and found it. DLR had it at DIY NE in 2010. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...08#post1689808

Name:	DIY_NE_2010_064.jpg
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	1153604

Look into the MME version of UE that will do stereo 4-way on a on P4 XP machine which supports some MB sound hardware or M-Audio's Delta 410 which can be had cheap on E-bay. I was driving the mids and tweeters with $100 Onkyo compact receivers from E-bay at Grinnell. I'm currently running the woofers with a used $80 HK 3480 receiver. UE comes with measurement software built in so you'll need a mic, preamp, and resistive probe that you can make yourself.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

Is this the first successful UE project shown at a DIY? I've always wanted to hear a project with the UE implementation and I'm really sold on it. I don't know when I'll have the proper funds for the project but hearing the system and seeing Ron's measurements really confirms that it's indeed a superb product.

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
    Your speakers sounded quite good, Ron, and I hope you don't mind if I steal your edge-chamfer scheme for my next project (which will have similar large-diameter front round-overs). I've been retired for 10 years now and I'm fortunate to be able to build speakers without worrying very much about costs. I'm running out of ideas, however, and my overall skills aren't complete, so I may never be able to conceive of and build my last hurrah system (but that won't stop me from trying).
    Paul
    The Amaroso's were really fine all the way around. Plenty of skill on display with those. You're welcome to use the chamfer idea since I neglected to file for a patent. I figure there's some prior art out there on that one. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks for the complement Mark65. I hope they made that long trip worthwhile.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied

Your speakers sounded quite good, Ron, and I hope you don't mind if I steal your edge-chamfer scheme for my next project (which will have similar large-diameter front round-overs). I've been retired for 10 years now and I'm fortunate to be able to build speakers without worrying very much about costs. I'm running out of ideas, however, and my overall skills aren't complete, so I may never be able to conceive of and build my last hurrah system (but that won't stop me from trying).
    Paul

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
    It is my new reference system and my last hurrah system. I bought the parts before I retired and became one of those fixed income guys. It's not cat food time but Raal's will probably be an extravagance in the future. Look for something smaller and more affordable next year.

Thanks for the compliment. Listening to them has been like having a new music collection.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
    It is my new reference system and my last hurrah system. I bought the parts before I retired and became one of those fixed income guys. It's not cat food time but Raal's will probably be an extravagance in the future. Look for something smaller and more affordable next year.

Thanks for the compliment. Listening to them has been like having a new music collection.

Ron
    As it should be. I'd listen to everything I have, front to back, if I could get those bad boys into my living room for a weekend. Well done, but that really doesn't cover it, so I'll say WELL FREAKING DONE!!!!

AWEsome, totally AWEsome!

Mark

Leave a comment:

• mjs408
    replied

Look great as always Ron. Maybe next year Ill be able to come with you to Grinnel. Cant wait to hear them.

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

That's a really good in-room RTA. The Cherry Pi system is the best I have heard at a DIY. It's definitely a last hurrah type of system. Will this be your new reference, Ron?

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    that bottom one is what I heard Saturday. NICE>
    I finally got around to making gated measurements. I can't be sure if this is what you heard but it is possible to do if the amplifier gains are set correctly. I'm not using the same amps for my measurements but I had tried to set the levels with the RTA measurements for the Grinnell demo. The gated measurements make it very easy to nail the levels precisely. The 1M measurements are good down to 250Hz with the window I used and there is no smoothing.

The acoustical distance setting is way out there in SE because of the digital delay from the UE program. I saw the same thing making measurements with Behringer's digital crossover and EQ. You have to search for the delayed impulse.

Near Field Woofer Measurement

Name:	Gated Nearfield Cherry PI Woofer.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	1153591

1M System Measurement

Name:	Gated 1M Cherry Pi Measurement.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	1153592

Next up is trying to make UE more stable. It might be because i originally had a M-Audio Delta 410 card and had to switch to a Delta 1010LT card. Even though I uninstalled the 410 drivers there are 2 Delta setups in the Control Panel and UE looks like it thinks it has 2 cards.

Before I forget, I did have a 6db HP filter on the Raal comprised of a single 6.8Mf cap. I thought it wise to put some protection in front of it just in case the computer or amp tried to send some garbage it's way. I made my tweeter measurements for UE by setting the reference probe to include the filter.

:D:D:D
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

That's a really good in-room RTA. The Cherry Pi system is the best I have heard at a DIY. It's definitely a last hurrah type of system. Will this be your new reference, Ron?

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

that bottom one is what I heard Saturday. NICE>

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

I'm finally back to working with the Cherry π's. I just took some measurements with TrueRTA of the whole system and the individual drivers.

Vifa Woofers

Name:	Cherry PI Viva RTA.jpg
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1153519

Neo8-s

Name:	Cherry PI Neo8-s RTA.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1153520

Raal 70-10D

Name:	Cherry PI Raal RTA.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	1153521

System

Name:	Cherry PI RTA copy.jpg
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1153522

These are measured on the tweeter axis at a hair over 1M. They're doing road construction in front of our house so there's plenty of noise and room effects down low. It looks like UE is doing what it's supposed to. The high end roll off looks like the mic cal file isn't included. I'll find out when I do gated measurements later this weekend when they're not working on the street.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

From Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-AUDIO-DELT...item4acaf067de

Ron

Leave a comment:

Working...
X