Paul's Sprite Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul's Sprite Questions...

This was originally supposed to be a PM to paul but it wasnt sending and I couldnt find an email...

I believe i want to hop on the sprite bandwagon. Just like the others, i want to put a little spin on it. This will be a slim soundbar to upgrade my tv speakers. Space restrains me from any bookshelf seperates etc. :(

With that in mind, i would have to limit some of the dimensions. I was thinking 4.5"X4.5"X40-42". Doing so will throw the BSC off. I was wondering if someone could help with crossover adjustments. I have no experience in crossover design so i feel helpless.

Thanks!

Re: Paul's Sprite Questions...

um... ok, you just blew my mind a little! :eek:

I have this exact speaker sketched up, and the panels cut in my garage. I have been curious for months if it would work, but never quite got the push to actually finish building the speaker to try it. Would you be willing to wait around a bit for me to try it out?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ND90 Soundbar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1152874
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Whoa thats kinda creepy. Yea ill wait around till you work on it some more

Comment

I have a Couple Sprite questions also.

- the 1 3/8 diameter port that you specified. Is that schedule 40, 1 1/4 inch pvc? The 1 1/4 that I bought is about 1/16 smaller. Is that a big deal?

- IfI separated the speaker and made them each tall and thin ( like the Chris Roemer - "pico neo") but to your specd internal volume would the Sprite filter be fine as is?
        Thanks,
        Jeff

Projects:

"Overnight Sensations" Build Thread
        Wolf's "PC", plus Paul Carmody's - "Sprites", and "Voxel" subwoofer 2.1 micro systems - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Jeff View Post
          I have a Couple Sprite questions also.

- the 1 3/8 diameter port that you specified. Is that schedule 40, 1 1/4 inch pvc? The 1 1/4 that I bought is about 1/16 smaller. Is that a big deal?

- IfI separated the speaker and made them each tall and thin ( like the Chris Roemer - "pico neo") but to your specd internal volume would the Sprite filter be fine as is?
          The port can be had from here at parts express, and yes you could make two separate boxes like the pico's and use the same crossover. It should work great. Also you could move the port to the front if you want too.

Kevin
          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
          OS MTM's
          Digger 8 sub
          Overnight Sensations Center Channel
          Sprite Build
          Wolf's PC Speakers
          Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Originally posted by kevin007 View Post
            The port can be had from here at parts express, and yes you could make two separate boxes like the pico's and use the same crossover. It should work great. Also you could move the port to the front if you want too.

Kevin
            i have built a couple sprites. i like them a lot. the port cost a whopping $1.75 as i recall. good luck on this project.

Comment

Originally posted by kanemack View Post
              i have built a couple sprites. i like them a lot. the port cost a whopping $1.75 as i recall. good luck on this project.

I'm building 5 sets of 2.1 systems for gifts. 2 will be the wolfs PC. 3 will be the sprite. All 5 will use the Carmody voxel sub.

I have 1 1/4 " PVC on hand. Just wondered would it suffice. I only see the adjustable port on PE website. It's closer to $3 each. FWIW.
              Thanks,
              Jeff

Projects:

"Overnight Sensations" Build Thread
              Wolf's "PC", plus Paul Carmody's - "Sprites", and "Voxel" subwoofer 2.1 micro systems - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Jeff View Post
                I have 1 1/4 " PVC on hand. Just wondered would it suffice.
                Yup, absolutely.

Comment

Hey Paul, how's the progress coming?

Comment

OK, so I did actually build this thing this week. I didn't bother with the center speaker, but instead just tried to give a pair woofers as much volume as possible. The thing I'm finding out about the ND90 is that 4 Liters is sort of its "sweet spot" for vented alignments. Anything smaller and it gets too punchy with its tendency to boost around 125 Hz. So if you do build this, I recommend making the enclosure big enough so that each driver gets its full 4 Liters. Still, I'm not gonna lie; even though these drivers really go boom when given the right vented alignment, for sitting on the couch, no-distraction listening, they sound best sealed and crossed to a sub.

The filter did need to change. The Sprite filter just doesn't work for this arrangement; sounded stuffy and cheap. The revised filter opened things back up, and is surprisingly good for a little 3" driver--again, sealed and crossed to a sub sounds best. I'm not going to post the new filter, because this isn't an "official" design of mine ... more of a "garage" project. However, if you're interested in the revised filter, just send me an email through the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                      However, if you're interested in the revised filter, just send me an email through the forum.
                      Paul, are you accepting PM's now? I know in the past that when I have tried to PM you the forum gave a msg that stated you had blocked PM's.

And yes I would be interested in this build!

Kevin
                      Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                      OS MTM's
                      Digger 8 sub
                      Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                      Sprite Build
                      Wolf's PC Speakers
                      Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Working...
                      X