Mathcad / MJK sheets people - a request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mathcad / MJK sheets people - a request

Would any of you who currently own the mathcad sheets from MJK mind seeing if they work in this newly released software:

http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/free-trial/

They have a limited lifetime license on Mathcad 15 express. If his sheets work in that, and the version allows saving, I'd bet he'd get a bump in sales.
    <- at least one

Re: Mathcad / MJK sheets people - a request

I second that request and have down loaded the new free version. If you download it be prepared for a sales call and follow up emails.

Comment

Heh. Never give them real info ;-)

Comment

PTC, the company selling the MathCad software, has two competing products. There is MathCad 15 which I use and a program called Prime 2.0 which they are trying to develop as a replacement for MathCad. I do not know why they decided to try and replace MathCad, Prime 1.0 and Prime 2.0 both fell far short in my opinion. The Prime software is not being accepted by most long term MathCad users.

Prime 2.0 is what they are providing for free downloading and it will not run any of my MathCad worksheets, a few of us spent some time trying and it would require a significant amount of re writing of the worksheets to get everything working again.

Unfortunately the MathCad worksheets are hitting end of life. The free MathCad Explorer program ran fine under Windows XP but Windows 7 and 8 require the user to jump through a few hoops to make it work. In addition, I have had to reformat my desktop computer and load MathCad 15 which does not let me save files back to version 8 which is compatible with the free Explorer program. I can still do some minor maintenance on the existing worksheets but everything new is in MathCad 15 format. I am not releasing any of the newer worksheets at this time because people will not be able to run them and I am tired of being ripped off by commercial speaker manufacturers.

I am not sure what to tell you about the continued availability of my MathCad TL and dipole worksheets. I am not willing to turn the math over to a stranger for programming or spend the time doing it myself. I am afraid in the not too distant future I will not be able to support DIYers wanting to perform these simulations.

It was a good run,
        Last edited by martin; 09-23-2013, 09:50 PM. Reason: correcting typo's
        Martin

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
        www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

Ah. Thanks for the update. Sorry for your troubles :-|

Comment

I was sad to read your response but understand your position. Your contribution to the diy community is appreciated as many threads noted the use of your tools. I was looking forward to one day attempting to use the worksheets.

It is a shame that loyal users are forgotten and only what will generate new sales and more revenue is in the minds of so many large corporations. These companies insist on releasing new software updates on a regular basis even though in many cases only the user interface changes and few if any functional improvements are provided. The upgrade issue is forced buy a lack of backward compatibility and new versions of Windows. Microsoft Office adapted the "Ribbon" interface which imho only increased the learning curve ands forced more mouse clicks. I was told "it is more stable". Oh yea, try the master document feature in WORD and tell me about stability after your large files are corrupted and unusable! Imho Lotus AmiPro and WordPro of ten years ago is superior to the Word of today, but Windows 98 is needed. This is what happens when there is no competition. An IT person at my company told me "Younger users like the ribbon" and my response was "because they don't know better". AutoCAD also adapted the ribbon but allowed it to be turned off and the legacy interface used, at least in version 2012.

Let me stop before ranting on, ok, too late. Thanks again Martin, it was a good run.

Comment

Originally posted by martin View Post
              I am not sure what to tell you about the continued availability of my MathCad TL and dipole worksheets. I am not willing to turn the math over to a stranger for programming or spend the time doing it myself. I am afraid in the not too distant future I will not be able to support DIYers wanting to perform these simulations.

It was a good run,
              What about Gnu Octave? I didn't look into it much, but it's supposed to be a possible alternative. The first paragraph says:

"GNU Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for numerical computations. It provides a convenient command line interface for solving linear and nonlinear problems numerically, and for performing other numerical experiments using a language that is mostly compatible with Matlab. It may also be used as a batch-oriented language."

There are packages for multiple OS platforms.

dlr

Oops. I just noticed it's Matlab, not MathCad compatible.
              WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Hi Dave,

I have looked at a couple of different alternatives for MathCad. It really comes down to what I want to spend my limited amount of free time doing, recoding the current worksheets or continuing to extend what I am already working on. I have decided to keep moving forward and work with a few people who have the more recent releases of MathCad. I rarely post on forums any more and spend more of my time on my own projects.
                Martin

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
                www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

After reading this I have decided to keep my old XP machine the way it is with an older version of MathCad so I can run Martin's worksheets which I consider invaluable. I have kept up with the licensing every year but I consider the Prime versions with the ribbon a step backwards.

Comment

I have the last two issues of Martin's worksheets loaded on two computers, mine and my wife's, as well as Mathcad Explorer 8, and all those programs are backed up on a disk, plus both computers are running Windows XP. I think that's the best I can do all things considered.
                    Paul

Comment

I just switched over to my laptop running Win 7 and discovered that I had not uninstalled MathCad 15. It DOES work with Martin's worksheets! Hooray!

Comment

Working...
                      X