Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cone shaped Speaker enclosure?

Hi, my first ever post!

I was wondering if any one had experimented with cone shaped speaker enclosures?
    How does it affect driver response etc?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

Re: Cone shaped Speaker enclosure?

Welcome to tech talk!

If the speaker is mounted down in the cone, the cone shape of the enclosure becomes a waveguide that will provide directivity to frequencies whose wavelengths are acoustically small compared to the size of the waveguide. Example: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=270-310
    Pro/Fi Cinema Speaker project: "From the Ashes"

Comment

I meant mount them in the front of the cone so that the inside of the cone is the enclosure

Comment

A circular baffle can create some serious diffraction ripples depending on size. Are you interested in the cone controlling the backwave? Are you interested in the aesthetics?

Comment

The driver im using is 6" and the front of the cone was going to be 7". Is this too big? Will this cause problems?
          Yes i was hoping it would significantly reduce back standing waves. And the aesthetics were also very important

Comment

Originally posted by samc99108 View Post
            Hi, my first ever post!

I was wondering if any one had experimented with cone shaped speaker enclosures?
            How does it affect driver response etc?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!
            Norh has experimented with cone shaped enclosures:
            http://www.norh.com/Norh_Loudspeaker/Products.html

Comment

Also, the B&W Nautilus and the Vivid Giya

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

did you mean that you are mounting the speaker on the pointed end of the cone or on the wall of the cone. on the pointed end would make a good enclosure.
                Last edited by craigk; 09-26-2013, 08:12 AM.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Ah, NOW I understand what you want to do with the cone.

I was envisioning every OTHER way imaginable to put a driver on a cone. I wasn't thinking about the "obvious" for some reason...

------------------

You can use a baffle diffraction simulator to see the challenges you will face in designing a speaker with a round baffle and a driver spaced equa-distant to all of the baffle edge. It will produce a prominent diffraction signature that *may not* be as easy to tame as more traditional designs where the baffle edge is typically many different distances to the drivers. However, if you can come up with a way to defeat the diffraction (typically handled in the crossover, or if active, with dsp/eq), then you should be rewarded with an enclosure that offers a very good opportunity to mute a great deal of the acoustic energy leaving the rear of the driver, preventing it from escaping back through the driver as a reflection.
                  Last edited by mdocod; 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

haha thank you! Im planning on mounting it on the flat face of the cone.

What if there is a sort of lip around the driver, so that the driver is mounted slightly inside the cone by maybe an inch. This would cause the baffle to be in front of the driver. Does that make sense? haha

Comment

Recessing a driver into a baffle with a lip around the perimeter is not likely to make things easier. Internal reflection hiccups would be problematic at best. None of the software I am familiar with would provide a very useful simulation of such a configuration, so you would likely be forced to build and measure it to see what corrections need to be applied.

I would suggest leaving the baffle of the enclosure flat, with a flush mounted driver, with the option to round-over the edge of the baffle. Use a driver that fills out the majority of the surface of the baffle, this will result in the least problematic diffraction signature to work with. Using a driver that is much smaller than the round baffle size will result in the hardest to work with diffraction signature.

Comment

Thank you for all your advice! I'm building the cones myself, so the front baffle can be as small as possible. I'll also try to round the edges. Is there anything else you could suggest?

Comment

Are you planning on a single full range driver, or something more sophisticated?

Comment

Originally posted by mdocod View Post
                            Are you planning on a single full range driver, or something more sophisticated?
                            I'm planning on making it a 2 way system, with a woofer and tweeter both in separate cones

Comment

Sounds like a pretty neat build. I love exotic speaker enclosure designs. Wish I had the means to produce something like that.

In order to make the effort worth it, spend your free time in the coming months researching acoustic science and learning to use simulation software, and optionally, setting up and learning to use measurement equipment. I believe a very good speaker can be made (especially a 2-way) using existing driver data/response/impedance and baffle/box/phase simulation without the need to set up measuring equipment, but doing so demands that the designer have an understanding of all of the steps involved in doing so, how they must be done and why.

I'm not going to get into all of the details of how to build a speaker here, because that has been covered to great extent in the following places: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Building-Bible ....

To sum up what you'll be learning: How to create driver data files for response (measured or traced), impedance (measured or traced), and phase (measured or simulated), How to simulate the box response, the baffle diffraction, and the minimum driver phase, then account for physical offset (measured physically or acoustically). Then bring all of this data together in a crossover simulation program to design a proper crossover network that acts as a true "heart" of the speaker, providing response and phase corrections resulting in an accurate acoustic performance, ideally without presenting a highly reactive load to an amplifier.

Sounds really easy eh?

Give it time. If you really want these custom "cone" speakers and are willing to take the time to learn to do it right, you will be rewarded with a remarkable speaker that you can be very proud of.

Comment

Working...
                              X