Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First crossover so far

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First crossover so far

    Does the layout look okay?
    I am waiting on a resistor I missed on the list before I tie everything together.
    Question, the labels on the inductors do need to come off, correct?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20130924_132407_zpsbf4cda68.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1186743
    Statement Monitors

    Duratex is your friend

  • #2
    Re: First crossover so far

    Your layout looks good. the tags don't have to come off. I prefer to leave them on myself just so I know what they are later
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: First crossover so far

      Looks good, nice and clean. Better looking than...any of mine. A little more space between the .70mh inductor and the inductor with no visible label would be better, but they are oriented properly, and it really probably doesn't make much of a difference. The labels will eventually fall off after the adhesive dries, but like isaeagle said, it's nice to know what they are.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: First crossover so far

        I knew you could do it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: First crossover so far

          Hey, sorry for the derail, but did you get that woofer I sent you? And did it work for you?

          That xo looks nicer than the ones I build also, BTW. Well done.

          Oh, and I remove the labels, then mark them with the value. More permanent.


          Mark
          You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

          ~Pink Floyd

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: First crossover so far

            Originally posted by djg View Post
            I knew you could do it.
            Thanks, as soon as I get the last piece in, I will finish connecting everything and test it out.
            Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
            Hey, sorry for the derail, but did you get that woofer I sent you? And did it work for you?

            That xo looks nicer than the ones I build also, BTW. Well done.

            Oh, and I remove the labels, then mark them with the value. More permanent.


            Mark
            YES! thanks. Works fine.

            Originally posted by chrisn View Post
            Looks good, nice and clean. Better looking than...any of mine. A little more space between the .70mh inductor and the inductor with no visible label would be better, but they are oriented properly, and it really probably doesn't make much of a difference. The labels will eventually fall off after the adhesive dries, but like isaeagle said, it's nice to know what they are.
            My goal on this was to make it "appear" organized.
            I am going take another pic of the final product when I am finished.
            Statement Monitors

            Duratex is your friend

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: First crossover so far

              UPDATE:
              Everything not tied down yet, but it's all connected.

              Its about time to test it, me thinks.
              Statement Monitors

              Duratex is your friend

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: First crossover so far

                Test it! Use low volume, below hearing threshold, and turn it up slowly, so that any issues that might be there won't fry a driver. Listen the whole way, and pay attention. Let us know the results!


                Mark
                You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

                ~Pink Floyd

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: First crossover so far

                  Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
                  Test it! Use low volume, below hearing threshold, and turn it up slowly, so that any issues that might be there won't fry a driver. Listen the whole way, and pay attention. Let us know the results!


                  Mark
                  Okay..
                  the connections are good.
                  Tweeter puts out the highs
                  Mid put out the mids
                  Woofer puts out the lows.

                  BUT, I won't won't know how it really sounds till I order and receive the drivers that are matched withe crossover.
                  The drivers I used to test were from a crap pair polk audio R15 speakers, so I wasn't getting all the quality I should be getting.
                  This is the part that makes me nervous. Should I just take the plunge and order the rest of the project and THEN find out if all is well?
                  Statement Monitors

                  Duratex is your friend

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: First crossover so far

                    Yes. That's about all you can do until you have the drivers and they are installed in the cab. Only then will you know the result.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: First crossover so far

                      If you still can, take a little Scotch tape to the labels and wrap them tightly, or peel the labels off and stick 'em on the x-o board, once again topping it with the tape. It'll hold forever.

                      BTW, why the resistor on the woofer?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: First crossover so far

                        Originally posted by martyh View Post
                        If you still can, take a little Scotch tape to the labels and wrap them tightly, or peel the labels off and stick 'em on the x-o board, once again topping it with the tape. It'll hold forever.

                        BTW, why the resistor on the woofer?
                        It's in the woofer shunt, Marty.
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                        *InDIYana event website*

                        Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

                        My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: First crossover so far

                          I am just going to build one speaker at a time. I am kind of paranoid of screwing the crossover up, SO if the first one comes out good, I will build the second right away.
                          Otherwise, I will just fantasize about what could have been.

                          UPDATE:
                          Oh, nice. There is a backorder on the Dayton Audio ND20FA-6 3/4" Neodymium Dome Tweeter..
                          Guess I will be waiting on this project after all. Unless there is a substitute I can use?
                          Statement Monitors

                          Duratex is your friend

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: First crossover so far

                            Well, everyday that goes by waiting for the back ordered tweeter,my confidence level on my crossover being able to work, goes down..
                            I may very well scrap this idea all together..
                            I really don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on something and then find out it won't sound right.:(

                            I MAY go with the Overnight Sensation MTM kit. At least I can get the crossover already built.
                            Statement Monitors

                            Duratex is your friend

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: First crossover so far

                              You've already tested it and it works. Put a WTB ad in the classifieds. Someone might sell you a pair of tweeters

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X