Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small hatchback: possible rear deck subs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small hatchback: possible rear deck subs?

Hi everyone,

I have a small hatchback car, and am looking for a sub-solution without losing trunk space, so am thinking of a rear deck install.

My fronts are Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (80W rms, 6.5" 2-way coaxial 4 ohm) connected in parallel to Kenwood KFC-P709PS (which are the same as the X173s except no tweeter, also 80W 4 ohm), and connected to a Kenwood KAC-6203 (2 x 150 @ 2 ohm).
    As sub I use a Kenwood KSC-SW10 150W active sub under the passenger seat, but this doesn't give me the "oomph" I need, and is too fidgety to tune.
    I have two Kenwood HQ 3-way 6x9s in the rear deck (self-made 1" MDF, 15" x 40"), but going to get rid of them because, for the moment, my soundstage is all over the place. These are connected to a Kenwood KAC-8404 (4 x 50W 4 ohm, 4 x 75W 2 ohm, or 2 x 180W 4 ohm), but I don't think I will be able to use this one for the sub(s).

So I was thinking of replacing the HQs with 1 or 2 subs. Keep in mind that since it's an hatch (with collapsable rear seats), I'm never going to be able to seal the trunk, so I'll probably need to make an enclosure.

I'm not looking for SPL, but the sound has to be clean and crisp, and when listening to Dio's "Holy Diver", I wanna feel Vinny Appice inside me!

'Nuff said, could you guys give me some advice on how I could do this?

TIA,
    James

Re: Small hatchback: possible rear deck subs?

what is the space available? what is your budget? how much power do you have?
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I would do a sealed 10" or ported to give the added ump you so desire. I would also consider two subs in separate boxes. That way if you don't need the trunk space you can have both, and if you need space you can take one or both out. Another good option would be a sealed 15" with a molded box to the wheel well side firing. Downside to that is it makes it harder to take in and out and fiberglass work, which is harder if you are a nube. If you could give more detail on space and type of car that may help.
      If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
      What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
      It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

I haven't used this personally, but I figure it may work. If I were to implement it I would build a small sealed box behind each of your 6x9" cutouts in the rear deck around .5cf, that response with cabin gain should get you where you need to be. They take a modest amount of power, but there's no significant space consumption. Just an idea. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-837

Now, what I did in my car was I made a box that could fit tightly into a small cavity in my trunk that is out of the way. Originally I thought I'd leave it there, but it didn't sound as good as when it is in the main body of the trunk, so I leave it in the middle of the trunk when I don't need the space, and pack it into its little corner when I need to. Works well for me. I have a 10" Rockford with a Rockford Power Series amp, sealed in 1.2cf. It sounds great and gets loud enough for me. I like sealed subs over vented for cars, if you don't take into account cabin gain it will sound bloated, and to make it not sound bloated you have to turn it down, which will in turn make you turn the midbass down, which is then lacking. Unless you're actively EQing it.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
          what is the space available? what is your budget? how much power do you have?
          Originally posted by Thumper Tom View Post
          I would do a sealed 10" or ported to give the added ump you so desire. I would also consider two subs in separate boxes. That way if you don't need the trunk space you can have both
          Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
          Now, what I did in my car was I made a box that could fit tightly into a small cavity in my trunk that is out of the way.
          No, really, I don't have any room to spare in my trunk (is that why they call me a "tightass", I wonder:p):

So no room for enclosures in the trunk...

Budget is around $500-$750, amp included

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
            I haven't used this personally, but I figure it may work. If I were to implement it I would build a small sealed box behind each of your 6x9" cutouts in the rear deck around .5cf, that response with cabin gain should get you where you need to be. They take a modest amount of power, but there's no significant space consumption. Just an idea. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-837
            I made the MDF cutouts myself, so no problem going from a 6x9 cut to a (possible) 12" circle cut (I would prefer not using 6x9, I only used the Kenwoods because I got them for free at work).
            I read e.g. about the W8-740 being a good sub, but don't know what's involved in bringing it (or any) in line with the front mounts, if I use enclosures. I mean what dimensions, what LPF, what cut-off freq. There are so many opinions (not a bad thing, of course), I need a starting point of some sort...

Comment

If you go IB, that amp would be plenty. Also, Overall SPL will suffer compared to sealed or vented enclosures fyi.

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
                If you go IB, that amp would be plenty. Also, Overall SPL will suffer compared to sealed or vented enclosures fyi.
                I don't have any problem with SPL, I just don't want a 1-tone thump coming out of my subs. I rarely listen to rap, or house, or whatever. For the moment I'm listening to "Operation Mindcrime", so you get the drift... Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode and other electronic rock is also part of my "repertoire" (you didn't know I knew french, did you), so I'm afraid that if I drift too close to SPL standards, this type of music is going to sound too "woofy".
                Rock and electronic rock have to sound "crisp" (this is the closest I can get to explain, sorry), and I'm afraid IB is not going to sound firm enough...

Comment

Welllll...I have seen where the adventurous would remove the spare tire and use that area for a sub. Add a sturdy grill of sorts and you have your hatch "back":p. They usually then carry a can of fix-a-flat.

According to the pic, can you somehow build something into the pocket on the left? Can't tell if you could squeeze an 8" in there.
                  If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

Originally posted by the kid View Post
                    Welllll...I have seen where the adventurous would remove the spare tire and use that area for a sub. Add a sturdy grill of sorts and you have your hatch "back":p. They usually then carry a can of fix-a-flat.

According to the pic, can you somehow build something into the pocket on the left? Can't tell if you could squeeze an 8" in there.
                    No, really, no way (I'm trying to find ways to explain and stay polite:p). I know of the tyre thingy, I know of the side-pocket thingies, and really, if my situation would allow this, I wouldn't even be here, because there are tons of examples that would have given me at least a point where to start (BTW, I'm smiling while typing this, I'm not getting angry or something. Just to be clear...)

So, stop fixating on the trunk!:D No other way but rear deck!:D Really!:D

Comment

How about a 10" sub, sealed and swap your amps around. Use the 2 ch bridged to power the sub and the 4ch for the others? This will give you the option of blending those together via the fader or gain controls and give you 300w to the sub. Maybe The UM10:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-510 1.25 sealed (this includes driver). For a less expensive option the Bravox PXW10D-2:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=269-519 Ported in 1 cube with a 2.5"ID x 9"L port

Comment

Disregard my post then. With the rear deck the only option, it is going to be very difficult for any driver to work well. The limited space, and size don't allow for much of anything. Maybe a quad of the TB 6.5"?

Comment

Wouldnt he need a high qts driver to work well in IB?

Comment

Oops. My bad.
                            If dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?

Comment

Based on the molding around the edges of the top of the trunk it looks like there used to be a piece of carpet covered board that would go over the top. You could probably cut some MDF to fit the same, reinforce it with a couple of pieces of one by and do a vertically mounted IB sub on the top of the trunk that could be somewhat easily removed for storage reasons. I hacked an IB sub into the passthrough between my trunk and cabin using some 12" woofers I had laying around and it sounds pretty respectable for what it is. I won't win any SPL competitions but the bass is relatively clean, individual notes are distinguishable and it does still get loud enough to occasionally surprise me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	XPurnaY.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	1152989

Comment

Working...
                              X