Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smaller Bookshelf with Higher Sensitivity???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller Bookshelf with Higher Sensitivity???

Hi all, I'm looking to build a boombox with two enclosures on either side that will hold a couple of fairly small bookshelf speaker kits.

I was almost settled on the Overnight Sensation, but I see that the sensitivity is pretty low (81 db I think). I plan on hiding a Lepai amp inside the box between the two speakers and bringing out the on/off switch and volume control to the front panel. The Lepai has an optimistic 20 watts/channel.

Can anyone recommend a small bookshelf speaker with a higher sensitivity for around the same price point?

Re: Smaller Bookshelf with Higher Sensitivity???

How small is small? What would your maximum dimensions be? Is there a budget in mind? Honestly, I believe the OS on 20w will be loud enough (for me anyway). But i have made a boombox (search aurbox) based off of don's aurbac's, that is pretty doggone efficent and very smooth and detailed. Only drawback is the paper cone and foam surround. And theres the seemingly popular boominator design you could look into as well.

Comment

Bookshelf speakers from the 1990s and earlier where pretty much all around the 90dB/w/m mark due to amplifier output power being precisiously expressive to achieve. Nowadays you can get 100W amps for $50 or less which means they can cut costs by making the speakers less efficient and just use a larger amp.

Look around at flea markets, garage sales, pawn shops and other second hand market places for small bookshelf speakers of decent brands. It helps to have your smart phone handy so you can google the exact speaker you're looking at. You should be able to get a decent pair for a bargain.

Comment

The challenge of making a small speaker efficient is that you lose bass extension. It's Hoffman's Iron Law. I don't mean to dissuade you from your quest, just letting you know the obstacle keeping you from the goal.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Paul C. - I think in a boombox setting, we have a different animal than a HT or true music setup. I really think a design with a f3 around 80hz and a high Q factor to give a hump in the lower midbass could be very satisfying in a boombox setting.

Baldrick - we still could use some more information. Price point is always a consideration and maximum box size is one as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Taran View Post
            Paul C. - I think in a boombox setting, we have a different animal than a HT or true music setup. I really think a design with a f3 around 80hz and a high Q factor to give a hump in the lower midbass could be very satisfying in a boombox setting.
            Actually that's preferable to get best sound quality if it is meant to play outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnus View Post
              Actually that's preferable to get best sound quality if it is meant to play outdoors.
              I thought we were talking about bookshelf speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                I thought we were talking about bookshelf speakers.
                Not really. Read first line of the OP.

Originally posted by Baldrick View Post
                Hi all, I'm looking to build a boombox...

Comment

Wanting to use bookshelves in a boombox.
                  Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Ebay can be your friend here. I did a similar project, although it is really minimalist. I started a thread on the speaker forum.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...boombox-thread

All said and done, I would get a set of Klipsch or Cerwin Vega bookshelves if I were to do it again. With all of these Class D and T amps out there, power can be had for cheap. Maybe a set of OS (good choice, BTW) with a Sure 100x2 combo kit from Ebay would be the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Saturnus View Post
                      Not really. Read first line of the OP.
                      oops. In one ear, out the other. :o

Comment

Working...
                      X