Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any near-field active 2-way Studio Monitor designs out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any near-field active 2-way Studio Monitor designs out there?

I have a friend that is in school to become a recording engineer and he does a lot of audio work and recording/mixing on his computer. He is using some cheap PC speakers and is in need of some new decent "Studio Monitors" to do mixing on. I haven't seen any designs at all that use active 2-way bi-amp plate amps mounted to speakers. Are there any designs that use such? Or would he be better off just going with a KRK, JBL, or Behringer active monitor?

I also recommended a possible 2.1 system using passive bookshelf speakers and an active 2.1 amp mounted to the sub, which he was open to, however he probably wouldn't be able to use the 2.1 system in the studio should he choose to. I would like to make a suggestion that he could use now (on the computer) and also in the studio in the future.

If he wanted to go with a less expensive option he could also go with a small passive bookshelf pair and a small T-Amp or something to power them.

Any suggestions?

Re: Any near-field active 2-way Studio Monitor designs out there?

Its real hard to beat those Behringer systems. Cost/performance is very very good.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

+1 to that. You could build a set of nice small monitors and put t-amps in each one. Build Paul C's Hit Makers, or another small reference style monitor and just put a little amp in each one, or an amp in one and go power and sound in to one and then amp out from one to the other.
      Its real hard to beat those Behringer systems. Cost/performance is very very good.

Comment

JBL LSR305's are SUPERB

Comment

A MiniDSP and Shure four-channel amp board will put you at $175 with a power supply, which doesn't leave much cash for drivers assuming a ~$300 budget.

The caveat is that cheap monitors have junk drivers - KRK's low end stuff is not great. A lot of folks like the Modula MT as monitors; add a $75 2-channel amp, and you have a reasonably portable solution.

Comment

there are a lot of nice little monitors out there. a few names off the top of my head, Adam, might as well add Eve. to follow the trend, Event. Yamaha has the 10, but I really like the little 7. two of my favorites for last, the fostex, the 0.4, and my favorite right now the Equator D5.
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

MiniDSP + software is about $140 shipped...

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Musicians' Friend et al were selling a pair of bi-amped Alesis Elevate 3 monitors on sale for 49.00 (they are 69.00 on Amazon). They sound just OK and don't have any bass, but they image fairly well, and they sound just OK+ with a small sub. Better than the built-in speakers in my MacBook Air but not as good as the stereo "rock" speaker in my bathroom, but that is driven from digital recordings through Pure Music->battery-operated HiFace->E.E. DAC->E.E. Avant pre-amp->AVA Ultimate 70 amp.

Comment

You could buy Paul Carmody's hitmakers that he designed as near field monitors for 89.00 a piece including cabinets from DIYsoundgroup.

I would think a 10-100 watt amp would do nicely. Paul used to mix on a daily basis and designed these to be a really great studio monitor.

Might be worth a look...

Kevin
                  Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                  OS MTM's
                  Digger 8 sub
                  Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                  Sprite Build
                  Wolf's PC Speakers
                  Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
                    JBL LSR305's are SUPERB
                    These would be what I'd suggest looking at as well. Caveat being that I haven't heard them myself yet, but the engineering looks very sound and early reports/reviews seem to support them being remarkable for the price.
                    I have the equator d5's which are good, but with the $100 price increase I'm not sure they represent the best value at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by dwk123 View Post
                      These would be what I'd suggest looking at as well. Caveat being that I haven't heard them myself yet, but the engineering looks very sound and early reports/reviews seem to support them being remarkable for the price.
                      I have the equator d5's which are good, but with the $100 price increase I'm not sure they represent the best value at this point.
                      I heard the less expensive JBL monitors once; was very seriously not impressed.

Comment

I bought these about 2-1/2 years ago but only recently go around to using them regularly:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...e-monitor-2010

I paid about $200 shipped for them. They do sound good but are definitely not high end, still excellent for the bedroom I put them in. I appreciate the woofer and tweeter level controls as it allows easy adjustment for different placement options and/or music types. Multiple input types as well. They are also VERY well made. It looks like MF has similar options currently available but I can't tell if the price is for one or two speakers. Search "Mackie MR" and you will see the some different options. It also looks like the current models come with a more intelligently designed baffle than the versions that came out after I bought mine. Also, be sure to search for promo codes prior to ordering from MF, or hit me up and see what I have in my inbox.

That being said, the Behringers have an excellent rep for quality/value. Honestly, based on that I would probably select them unless size or price made it impractical. The Mackies I bought were pushing the size limits for me and the price seemed reasonable so no regrets. I think the Behringers everyone likes are these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=248-640
                        Last edited by aarond; 10-23-2013, 01:33 AM.
                        Thanks,
                        Aaron

Comment

I'd look into a pair of KEF Q100's.
                          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                            I heard the less expensive JBL monitors once; was very seriously not impressed.
                            The LSR305/LSR308 are brand new models and don't share heritage with any of the other entry-level JBLs as far as I know. Their big marketing point is new waveguide technology that has trickled down from their high-end models.

Comment

The M1A1 I designed was maximized for desktop environments, not just "nearfield". Low distortion, wide dispersion and flat responce through the critical pass-band while accounting for all of the typical isses encountered on a desktop were the design goals which were all achieved. You can build a pair for around $100... Another $100 for a small map of whatever flavor you want and you would have a great, dedicated desktop monitor. I had a pair with the littile Lepai amp and it was more than enough for my friend's kid's room. Link..

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=Desktop

Comment

Working...
                              X