Big price drop on the SB Satori Woofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big price drop on the SB Satori Woofer

The price has just dropped on the SB Satori woofer by over $100.
    http://meniscusaudio.com/satori-mw16p-p-1302.html

Still an expensive driver, but not near as bad as it was. This will put the Kairos and even my Satori- RAAL kits (soon to be released) in reach of a lot more people.

If you've been thinking of trying this woofer, here's a great opportunity. (This is an actual price drop, by the way, not a sale price).

Jeff
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Re: Big price drop on the SB Satori Woofer

very nice. still up there, but something to shoot for.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

That officially makes it a Revelator killer. Thanks for the heads up, Jeff. I might know someone interested in doing something with these.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

That is good news. It now competes on cost/value with things like the Vifa NE series instead of the Revelator or Illuminator.
        Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

considering it has better sensitivity than revelator and with such an excellent midrange for 3 way or midbass for 2way, i think this just put Satori on the really top choice for high end midwoofer.

in my 3way, i managed to get it at 93db (no BSC, as the lowpass takes care of it) together with raal 70-10.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up!
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Apologies for herping my derp, but what's the functional benefit of the Satori over the Revelator?

Comment

i have listened to the Satori in several designs and it is a very nice driver. as for it being a revelator killer, i just do not see it, or hear it. concerning cost, if I am looking at a really good system and spending 175.00 or 210.00 on a driver, 35.00 dollars is not going to be the deciding factor on which one i use. I will still take a revelator 15M or a 18W for the time being.
                craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Origin: Indonesia

I don't know what the Meniscus site used to say, but I thought these were manufactured in Denmark. Just throwing it out there.
                  "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                  exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                    Apologies for herping my derp, but what's the functional benefit of the Satori over the Revelator?
                    Well, one is not necessarily better than the other. The comparable Revelator costs $218 by comparison, but T/S parameters are nearly identical, as long as the Scanspeak measures on spec. I know the Satori does. The Satori does have broader bandwidth and that made it possible for me to make the Kairos design. I don't think I could have easily accomplished the same thing with the Revelator, but that doesn't make the Revelator inferior either. The Satori has the best bass I have heard in a small woofer, but I think the Revelator will compare well on this too. The Satori also has a Neo magnet assembly whereas the Revelator has ferrite. In addition to being much lighter in weight, the Neo magnet has a more focused magnetic field, with more energy in the gap and less stray magnetism. In bandwidth and motor design I consider the Satori to have a slight edge. At $40 less, it would be my choice without question. I know Joachim Gerhardt has said it is the best sounding midwoofer he has ever used, and since he can use anything he wants, that's pretty high praise. I think a lot of the differences in these two drivers is splitting hairs, but given the price drop, it would be had for me to not choose the Satori, and I have used it now in 5 different designs. I like it that much.

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                      Origin: Indonesia

I don't know what the Meniscus site used to say, but I thought these were manufactured in Denmark. Just throwing it out there.
                      The site has not changed, and neither has the driver. SBA drivers are engineered in Denmark by the same engineers that designed the Revelator and Illuminator series for Scanspeak before Scanspeak was sold off and this design team was let go, Ulrick Schmidt is the lead designer of all of this drivers. The manufacturing has always been done in Indonesia. They are produced by long-time speaker manufacturer Sinar Baja Acoustics, that's the SBA.

Comment

SS measurements are pretty good. agree with band width also, the SS is done at around 2200-2300. as far as the bass I prefer the SS. the SS in 1 L, ported will hit mid 30's, the Satori is in the low 40's in the designs I have heard. the bass seems to be more realistic from the SS, the Satori a little more sterile. which goes back to a warmer/leaner, no right/wrong answer. I have listened to several drivers with neo and ferrite mags, I have yet to be able to tell the difference is sound quality, maybe there is, I can not hear it. I look at the market place and overwhelmingly SS is used more by a lot of other people that can use what ever they want also. have to listen and make up your on decision.
                        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Jeff,
                          What's the sensitivity on your Satori/RAAL MTM ?
                          ,donc

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                            The site has not changed, and neither has the driver. SBA drivers are engineered in Denmark by the same engineers that designed the Revelator and Illuminator series for Scanspeak before Scanspeak was sold off and this design team was let go, Ulrick Schmidt is the lead designer of all of this drivers. The manufacturing has always been done in Indonesia. They are produced by long-time speaker manufacturer Sinar Baja Acoustics, that's the SBA.
                            Fair enough. I knew that SB Acoustics consists of ex-Scan-Speak engineers, and it shows, however for some reason I thought they were manufacturing their drivers in Denmark as well. Was just trying to find a reason for the big price drop, the cost of Neodymium sure didn't go down. I sit corrected.
                            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

quality and consistency is top notch on them. do not let the Indonesian manufacturing part scare you.
                              craigk

Comment

Working...
                              X