Horizontal MTM/CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizontal MTM/CC

Just a quick question that I couldnt find in some searches. Im aware that some MTMs will and some wont work well horizontally ie CC. What factors come into place here? What does one look at to see if it will work well horizontally?

Re: Horizontal MTM/CC

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
    Just a quick question that I couldnt find in some searches. Im aware that some MTMs will and some wont work well horizontally ie CC. What factors come into place here? What does one look at to see if it will work well horizontally?
    The main factors are, how far to the side will the listeners be sitting, how close are the woofers spaced, and how low does the mid/tweet crossover take place? Off axis performance of MTMs is poor in comparison to 3-ways with vertically aligned mid/tweet. If the seated position isn't more than 15 degrees off axis, most MTMs will be alright, but outside that position, intelligibility will become an issue due to deep nulls in the lower treble, upper mids where the two woofers interfere.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

One of the salient issues is how low the tweeter is crossed to the woofers (Lower usually means better for a center channel). But regardless, I believe that any side MTM should reduce horizontal dispersion. For many rooms this may be less than ideal (e.g. if you have a wide room), whereas a minority with serious acoustical issues (e.g. a side wall entirely made of glass) might benefit from this.

Comment

whoops. Looks like Pete beat me to it.

Comment

Well, the majority of the time the listeners will be in 15 degrees. Pretty rare that someone would be outside that range. Im looking at a very small C2C. I will be using 2" drivers paired with a ND16 with a xover somewhere around 3-5khz (havent gotten that far). From what you are saying, this sounds as if it will work for my needs, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
            Well, the majority of the time the listeners will be in 15 degrees. Pretty rare that someone would be outside that range. Im looking at a very small C2C. I will be using 2" drivers paired with a ND16 with a xover somewhere around 3-5khz (havent gotten that far). From what you are saying, this sounds as if it will work for my needs, right?
            Should be fine then. Keep in mind that a pair of 2" drivers won't be able to produce much in the way of SPL. You'll want to cross them over actively with your HT receiver as high as you can.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

2" drivers? Why bother with a tweeter?
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                2" drivers? Why bother with a tweeter?
                Well, use 3 of them and cross the center driver at 1KHz. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                X