4 Ultimax 15 or 4 SDX 12 sealed for small room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Ultimax 15 or 4 SDX 12 sealed for small room

Trying to decide what do to for my build. Agonizing over what drivers to use. My room is 13X14X8 closed and is a dedicated HT room, no music as I have a two channel system also. Planning to put two subs on the front wall and two subs along the back wall. Thinking with the increased Xmax of the CSS SDX 12 and larger motor that they might compare favorably to the larger Ultimax 15 with less Xmax and motor strength. With how small the room is it would be nice to keep the sub boxes as small as possible and thinking that the SDX 12 would go as low in a smaller box. Was hoping someone who has had experience with both could give me some insight.

Re: 4 Ultimax 15 or 4 SDX 12 sealed for small room

If you plan to run either of those systems at more than about 5% of their potential, I would recommend some of these:

http://www.parts-express.com/westone-ety-plug-etymotic-earplugs-blue--242-3560

Comment

From my experiences with the CSS XBL sub driver designs you can't run them at over 75% of their rated Xmax since their Xmax and Xmech are so close to each other, also without a bumped back plate they are very easy to bottom out.

On the other hand The Dayton subs in general and the Ultimax in specific tend to be "underated" in Xmax with a substantially higher Xmech.

Frankly given the small size of your room, why not just use the Dayton Audio DVC310-88 12" DVC subs in sealed enclosures, they will provide way more than enough LFE that you could stand - lol

Comment

WOW can you say overkill! Go with the CSS 12's I'm just saying that because I've been eyeing
        them for some time and would like to hear a first hand review of them. Don't use the DVC310-88's
        from what I'm getting here is you like bass and a lot of it! If anything use 2 instead of four. You
        could also just say to hell with it and use some Sundown X series subs.

Comment

I have been looking at the Sundown X and ZV4. I like how the surrounds look. Jacob at Sundown stated that the SI HT drivers are the better bang for the buck for HT. Hopefully SI comes out with a HT version of the ZV4 but it will probably be after I finish my project.

The CSS subs look really nice and I have been looking at them for a long time. The hard part is for the same money I could get the the new Ultimax 18. I would just have give up a little more space in my dedicated HT room. Now talk about overkill, but really money and space wise it is not much more to move up to the Ultimax 18 than the Ultimax 15. I am not sure I would even see the cones moving on the 18s but they would look menacing in the room.

Comment

The SI's are quite remarkable for the price.

For the two options.....Ulti 15.
            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
              The SI's are quite remarkable for the price.

For the two options.....Ulti 15.
              Of course you wouldn't have any objections.

Two 15's would be ridiculous, four is just nuts. You will definitely have headroom to play with. You do realize how much cone surface area that is for a room that small right? You could always go for a pair of the UM18's. Still overkill but it will save some green and require less power. I can't speak for the CSS subs although they look pretty nice.

I wouldn't call this a theater, I'd call it a walk-in iron lung.
              Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                Of course you wouldn't have any objections.
                BWHAHHA. HATE subsonic.....especially ULF. :D :D :D

My room is slightly bigger. Do the four 15's. :D
                Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

When it comes to low frequency, assuming you have the space available, if you have the option of going with more SD as opposed to more Xmax, go with more SD to reach the amount of displacement you're looking for.

I've never used or heard an ultimax sub, but let's face it, Dayton has a pretty good track record when it comes to subs. It would be a complete shocker if the Ultimax subs are lemons.

With that said, going on the assumption that both subs are of good quality, a 15 is a better bet over a 12 that may not even have more xmax.
                  Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
                  MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
                    When it comes to low frequency, assuming you have the space available, if you have the option of going with more SD as opposed to more Xmax, go with more SD to reach the amount of displacement you're looking for.

I've never used or heard an ultimax sub, but let's face it, Dayton has a pretty good track record when it comes to subs. It would be a complete shocker if the Ultimax subs are lemons.

With that said, going on the assumption that both subs are of good quality, a 15 is a better bet over a 12 that may not even have more xmax.
                    Hear, hear!

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                      Hear, hear!
                      That's exactly what he WON'T be able to do...
                      Your results may vary.

Comment

*Just read the entire thread*

If you have room for the new Ultimax 18's, go that route. You'd need 12's with around 45mm to 50mm of Xmax to hang with the Ultimax 18's.
                        Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.

Comment

The craziest I've done was JBL pro audio 18's in a home stereo before. I think they only had 7mm of xmax and it was down right ridiculous to put it lightly.

With the 18" Ultimax's 22mm Xmax......it's safe to say that your quest for bass will be done.

Comment

It looks like I have only have one vote for going with 4 18s. I think I have been spending too much time over at AVS with people going with 16 18s and other crazy stuff, but who really needs 6Hz at 130DB, but the power company would like you.

I guess I have just been wanting something more than 12s so I am glad you guys talked me out of them. Currently I have a SVS PC12 Plus and the small ported CSS SDX 10 to even things out. It energizes the room well with the SVS farther away from LP in the front and the SDX 10 closer behind the LP in opposite corners. Sometimes I can locate the sub if it is playing really loud and I think four will help to alleviate that.

I think going with 4 of the 15s will probably suit me just fine. I will put the money I save by not getting the 18s towards a second amp. Currently I have Crown XLS-2500 waiting to power some subs. I think this should power 2 of the UM-15s but I don't think it will power 4.

That will have to be the name of my build project = walk-in iron lung.

Comment

If four 18's is an option....Yuh.

Comment

Working...
                              X