• Show
Clear All

• $200 Sub Q: 2 x Dayton SUB1000 vs. BIC Formula F-12

For less than $200 these 2 options are avail:

Dayton SUB1000 x 2
    or 1 BIC Formula F-12

What say you?

Re: $200 Sub Q: 2 x Dayton SUB1000 vs. BIC Formula F-12

Also - a somewhat unrelated question. Do most, many, only some, home theatre receivers have a high pass filter for the main speakers? I am thinking when using the sub connection with it's 80hz LP crossover, it would be nice to limit the bass going to the main LR speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
      Also - a somewhat unrelated question. Do most, many, only some, home theatre receivers have a high pass filter for the main speakers? I am thinking when using the sub connection with it's 80hz LP crossover, it would be nice to limit the bass going to the main LR speakers.
      Any receiver that has a subwoofer line out should have at least a basic HP for the mains. I have never heard of one that doesn't, but I can't say that they all definitely do.
      -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

My old Yamaha HTR series HT receiver had a high-pass for the front L&R at the same freq. that the sub low-pass was set at, 80Hz. There was no adjustment, just fixed. I would think that even basic popular-brand receivers have some form of low/high-pass on the sub-out and mains, with current ones having more adjustments for the frequencies than that HTR I had from the late 90's. I've had pretty good success with the Dayton subs in their various iterations over the past 15 years. I haven't felt as confident with recommending the BIC ones, though. Cabinet build-quality is typical AFA the lack of bracing and just-get-by materials go. The ability to incorporate two subs instead of one allows more flexibility with placement, which can alleviate room issues/nodes that might be present. If you add in a couple cross-braces in the BIC and adequate acoustic damping material, you could improve it's stock performance enough to notice. Any of the lower-cost subs can be improved with some internal bracing and the right amount and type of acoustic damping. Let us know what you get and how it turns out.

John A.
        "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
        Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
        Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
        Pioneer TX-9500 II
        Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
        Statement Monitors
        Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
        Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
        Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
          For less than $200 these 2 options are avail:

Dayton SUB1000 x 2
          or 1 BIC Formula F-12

What say you?
          You can get 2 SUB-1200 for $218, or a Polk PSW505 for $150 @ Newegg. It might also be worth waiting for BF for a good deal.
          I was recently in the same shoes, and ordered a Lava 12" for $170 because I couldn't wait for Black Friday :rolleyes:

Comment

I had some old BIC Venturi speakers that I loved. Nice bass extension, good overall sound quality.

That being said, the BIC has more power, likely more xmax, and so likely more output, but I would think the Dayton is likely to have better sound quality overall.

Comment

I set up a budget system for a friend with a pair of Sub-1200. They are an amazing value. I would pull out the driver and brace the box.

Comment

dwigle makes a great point about taking the driver out and putting in some braces. For every one of the Dayton subs I have gotten for friends and family (going back to the SUB-80/100/120 series), I would pull the driver out, inspect the interior and add in some acoustic damping and at least two cross-braces. The damping material would be minimal, so I'd add in what I consider a proper amount. Tie the two side walls together and top/bottom. I use my selection of scrap material; take two 3/4" pieces sandwiched/glued for 1.5" thick, about 3" wide and the length you need. Just doing those two things, I've gained noticeable improvements in mass-market, BB-brands subwoofers. The popular brands do not have any advantage in cabinet construction & quality, mostly the opposite. I've been inside numerous ones from the usual suspects of brand-names; Advent, Polk, Infinity, Cerwin Vega, etc. and at the price-point we're talking about, they have the typical cost-cutting measures. The aesthetics have nothing to do with performance and are sometimes incorporated by the OEM at the expense of simple-to-implement methods that could improve the overall SQ. I've related before about the RSS315 sub I made for my nephew that outperformed the $1200 Velodyne sub his roommate had (the roommate sold his Velo and had me make him a sub just like my nephew Tyler's), and the Velo is in a much-higher price category. You'll get more performance and value-per-dollar with the Dayton than with a Polk, Advent, Cerwin Vega, or any of the mass-market Best Buy offerings. Infinity seems to be a bit better, mostly because of the drivers they use. Shop around and see what you come up with, but two of those Daytons will be the price-point SQ buster.

John A.
                "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                Pioneer TX-9500 II
                Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                Statement Monitors
                Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Working...
                X