OT - too cold for rattle cans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - too cold for rattle cans?

I really want to get my speakers finished - they have been in limbo for too long! Problem is, it's below freezing outside now. I have rattle can primer, enamel, and semigloss clear to spray. Painting indoors is not an option due to the solvents, but I do have an unheated shed I can work in so at least would be out of the wind.

Anyone have luck with rattle cans at these temperatures, or is this something that should wait for the spring?

Re: OT - too cold for rattle cans?

You can try heating the cans in warm water before spraying, but I don't know how long they would stay warm enough to spray correctly.

Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

the warm water works. but, the surface to be painted must be warm too.
      could you make a booth inside with venting to the outside?
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Hmm, I guess I could space-heat the shed until I'm ready to start, then turn it off (due to the fire hazard). Things will cool off as it dries, then I can take everything inside for sanding and to warm up again and repeat. I like the warm water idea for the cans...

Comment

yeah, the hot tap water will make the paint come out better but should never make it so hot to be a danger.
          The oil filled radiators have no open flame so, not a danger.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I did a check of about 6 cans in my basement. Everyone said 55 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer. I'd hold off. BTW I tried painting a exterior door in 95 degree heat....let's just say they give those temperature ranges for a reason!

Comment

Yeah, here in the desert the paint pretty much bounces off the material in the summer...:D

An exaggeration, of course, but it's just about impossible to get a smooth coat when it's 115, everything comes out all tiger stripey.

Mark
              You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Years ago, I painted a Halloween costume (a very large LEGO brick made out of a cardboard box and tuna cans) in my garage in cold weather. Not critical painting, so it really didn't matter that it was super cold outside (I don't remember the temperature). Some paint adhered to the costume, but a large percentage of it just fell to the ground. The amount of red 'dust' on the garage floor was amazing. It swept up easily with a broom, so it wasn't liquid when it hit the garage floor.

I wouldn't try and paint anything nice in cold weather. Either wait for spring, or get different paint (house paint, Duratex, low-VOC) that you can use indoors.
                Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Originally posted by matt996 View Post
                  Anyone have luck with rattle cans at these temperatures, or is this something that should wait for the spring?
                  Read the label. Virtually all coatings require at least 50 degree ambient temperatures for application, some 60 degree, otherwise they won't cure properly.
                  You can try heating the cans in warm water before spraying
                  Or just keep them in the house until you're ready to spray.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I keep paint/cabs in the house until I'm ready to paint, at which point I head outside, quickly coat, and then CAREFULLY bring the painted items back inside to dry.

I always paint on or in a cardboard box with handles so I can carry it around without touching the cab. You could also use the driver cutouts and reach inside to find a place to carry the cab.

Comment

Working...
                    X