Vas in cu ft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vas in cu ft?

Is there a reason that PE only lists Vas in cu ft and not both cu ft and liters like practically every data sheet does?

Re: Vas in cu ft?

not a good one. google is you friend.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      not a good one. google is you friend.
      Or "ConvertPad" app for Android. Makes ANY conversion you could need it to make.

Comment

Since practically all modeling software uses liters, it would be a bit faster (and a service to customers) if it were published in both liters and cu ft on the product page. Of course, I usually download the sheet for any driver with a separate data sheet.

Comment

Well, I find it kinda funny that some builders here on TT have gone the route of spec'ing cab volumes in liters, yet I don't believe I've ever seen a (U.S.) cab design dimensioned in mm, cm, dm, or meters.

Who needs Vas in liters? I LOVE PE for using cu.ft. I've got to convert almost any other's data to cu.ft. to get a handle on it. Sure wish the "Edge" software had a built in converter/selector. I DO have a short (probably ONE meter - HA, but I think it's more like 5 or 6 foot) tape measure that's got mm/cm on it that I use for "Edge" input, and setting my measuring distance to 1m with ARTA. (Yeah, I know, about 39.4" or so - close to 39-3/8)

How many kilometers do YOU drive a year? How many kilometers per gallon (or per liter) does your vehicle get? What's the speed limit on your street and the main road you take to work, in KPH? Geesh, I can't hardly stop now. Why don't we buy gas by the liter? Paint? A can of beans? I remember going to CANADA 30 years ago and really thought a 300ml can of soda was funny. IIRC, they're about the same length as a 12oz'er, but slightly smaller in dia., requiring different soda machines. How many square meters is your house, living room, yard? How many kg do YOU weigh? Then there're aircraft with ASI marked in knots? How many meters long is a football field? Don't get me started. Please.

Comment

2 things

1) I am, in no way, asking for the cu ft specs to be removed. I'm just asking for liters to be added to the Vas spec (and possibly to some physical dimensions). I find that a lot the software for modeling speakers is setup for liters and cu cm. I don't know what you're using (a slide rule or maybe an old book with a chart?)

2) I really wish I could think in Metric and American Imperial. Maybe someday I'll be able to do it but for now I'm pretty much an inches and feet kind of guy. The hard part is that, in audio, so much of the good stuff comes from metric countries.

ymmv

Comment

I'm 51 years old, class of 1980.
              Very much remember the USA push for metrics in the early/mid 1970's, we were supposed to be 100% metric by early 1980s.
              Everyone was behind going metric but....the strong unions of the 70's.
              Meant re-training people, it was fought tooth and nail.
              Too bad.

As to why not dual units, then if a mistake was posted in conversation PE would be responsible. This way you convert.
              Mike R,P.E.
              "Usul": 4 x AE-IB15 line array IB sub, flat to 10hz
              130" 2.35:1 DIY curved screen
              HT build
              Loghome Proj

Comment

I've converted to metric for most of my woodworking. IMO it's easier and more accurate. 25 marks per inch vs. 16.

I still need English units to have a feel for the size, but I can guess cabinet size better in liters than cubic feet.
                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

They really did us a dis service by not teaching us both in school. 104mm tweeters are common.
                  " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                  Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                  http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I also remember a few years back when Dayton changed the names of all their drivers to be in line with all the Euro/Eastern manufacturers. Thus was (re)born the "Classic" DC130/160/200 . . .

I always called the RSS365HO-4 (not sure if THAT's even what it's actually called, w/out referencing it somewhere) the "HO15" (in my brain). HO15, 12, 10, 8, and HF15, 12, 10, 8. Got it. Titanics were (to me) T15, T12, T10. Easy. I could NOT tell you the actual names of all the RS/RSS, DA, DC/DCS, ND, and whatever new drivers may come out tomorrow, but I DO get 4", 5.25", 6.5", 7", 8", 10", 12", 15", and 18". And I pretty much know that's it's really hard to find a 9", 11", 13" (but I THINK maybe I remember seeing a Focal somewhere?), 14", and so on.

Also kinda funny (I thought) were Dayton's last batch of drivers: the "UM-18", UM-15, -12, and 10. THANK YOU Dayton. Time to go now and cut me some 18mm plywood.

Comment

Yes, you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        They really did us a dis service by not teaching us both in school. 104mm tweeters are common.
                        You mean 4.1" tweeters are common. :D

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                          I've converted to metric for most of my woodworking. IMO it's easier and more accurate. 25 marks per inch vs. 16.

I still need English units to have a feel for the size, but I can guess cabinet size better in liters than cubic feet.
                          Well, there's 1/32 and 1/64th of an inch for detail wood working....
                          Mike R,P.E.
                          "Usul": 4 x AE-IB15 line array IB sub, flat to 10hz
                          130" 2.35:1 DIY curved screen
                          HT build
                          Loghome Proj

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	eRZXr16436.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1154054

Comment

Originally posted by flowflowz View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]42173[/ATTACH]
                              The "Arbitrary Retarded Rollercoaster" comment is a little a silly. Comparing an older measurement system that has evolved over the centuries to one starting with a clean slate in the 1790's modern Western culture with such adjectives is not very objective. One of the developmental goals of the metric system was to enhance clarity and ease of use. In a couple of centuries the current metric system may appear a little odd. I venture that may serfs in the 1300's secluded country did not have the luxury to possess a inch/yard stick. So they would use the best approximate measurement system they had in describing lengths to another individual.

Comment

Working...
                              X