Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New category for designs at the MWAF

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New category for designs at the MWAF

    If memory serves me we have these categories:

    under $200
    over $200
    Dayton
    Unlimited


    What does the community think about having a category for small sub/sat systems? It seems a lot of things I would like to bring are computer oriented so the sats are small and need a sub. When I bring them I am teased about bring a knife to a gun fight. It sure would be nice to accomidate smaller designs that need a sub without them having to compete against multi-thousand dollar unlimited speakers.

    What say you?

    MusicSmith

  • #2
    Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

    I kind of feel the same way. 'Unlimited' includes anything active, so even a smallish 2.1 system would be going up against the big boys and anything and everything that may be in the active category. But it does add another category to an already crowded and busy day. It might be too much.

    And not that anyone asked, but I'd love to see the Dayton category be for "All Dayton" drivers only. With the amount of excellent drivers Dayton has now, it would almost be difficult to not design a speaker using at least one Dayton driver. Just make it be all Dayton is my feeling.

    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

    *Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

      I personally would like to see categories based on form factor and cost with judging either on aesthetics and SQ or SQ alone.

      Satellite/Sat-sub - unlimited and budget
      Stand mount - unlimited and budget
      Floorstanding - unlimited and budget

      Anything requiring more than 1 amp per channel (sat/sub, active crossover, or powered bass section) should have the cost of the additional amp channels included as that would factor into the overall financial impact.

      I understand that for PE's event that they want to have a Dayton related category and that is certainly their right.

      The issue of course is that we would be at quite a few categories and might not have time to do some of the really interesting comparisons - like how does the best budget sub/sat compare to the best budget floorstander?
      Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

      Sehlin Sound Solutions

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

        I think a $200 split is more ridiculous every year, it needs to be bumped up to at least $300.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

          with the awailability and relatively low cost of DSP I think, "active" category should be added if you don't have it already.
          http://www.diy-ny.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

            Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
            with the awailability and relatively low cost of DSP I think, "active" category should be added if you don't have it already.
            Personally, I don't think it requires an extra category. With an active design, you provide the active crossover and extra channels of amplification and add them to the cost to see how you really compare to a passive design.
            Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

            Sehlin Sound Solutions

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

              i agree. with the 200.00 limit all you see is repeats of existing designs. 300.00 would open up a lot of new possibilities. I also think that the Dayton Audio category should be all Dayton drivers, just not a tweeter in a box with some high dollar mids and woofers. that defeats the purpose of trying to showcase Dayton drivers.
              craigk

              " Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

                Originally posted by MusicSmith View Post
                If memory serves me we have these categories:

                under $200
                over $200
                Dayton
                Unlimited


                What does the community think about having a category for small sub/sat systems? It seems a lot of things I would like to bring are computer oriented so the sats are small and need a sub. When I bring them I am teased about bring a knife to a gun fight. It sure would be nice to accomidate smaller designs that need a sub without them having to compete against multi-thousand dollar unlimited speakers.

                What say you?

                MusicSmith
                I won first place two years ago in the Unlimited category with a small sub / Sat system based on my Continuums. So, I was certainly not at a disadvantage.

                Jeff
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

                  I hope the Under-$200 category limit is not increased as I'm building what I hope to be a really good-performing/sounding pair exactly for that category at MWAF 2014. I don't think any limits on driver choices have been reached, nor have design options been exhausted to the point that entries are mostly "repeats".
                  Paul

                  Edit: I should add, though, that costs for everything will continue to go up in the long run, so bumping that dollar limit up will become necessary.
                  Paul

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

                    Maybe a slot bracket needs to be introduced, then.
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

                      +UNO for the Dayton catagory be ALL Dayton. I did it this year and as stated with the selection they offer now, it's not that hard to make happen.
                      A mains
                      The Ventures
                      Open Invit8tions
                      RSR
                      Sound Troopers
                      Acorns
                      442
                      DGBG's
                      The Monuments

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

                        Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                        +UNO for the Dayton catagory be ALL Dayton. I did it this year and as stated with the selection they offer now, it's not that hard to make happen.
                        I agree with this. It doesn't really feel right for someone to build some huge speaker that simply uses a Dayton tweeter and it qualifies for the Dayton category. I think a nice change would be for the Dayton category to use all Dayton drivers.

                        Jeff
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

                          I just started typing a hard hitting reply post about how I felt about how the Dayton class at MWAF should be Dayton ONLY drivers... then a really strong conviction came over me. So I deleted that post entirely.

                          What hit me was: Gee? Why do I enjoy learning about speaker design? Why do I get MDF dust in my hair/ears? Why do I spend money on measurement equipment? Why do I spend countless hours thinking about my current/next speaker projects? Why am I taking a vacation day next Friday and more importantly time away from my wife and kids to attend a speaker workshop? Is it to win a speaker contest? Is it to win a $*** prize? Is it to gain approval from other people I may or may not know or ever meet?

                          Not knocking anyone who is into that, but this hobby for me will never be about that.

                          Oh Boy!!!! I may have just alienated myself from this forum :(
                          Craig

                          The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

                          Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

                            With all due respect, Jeff. Those were some pretty high priced drivers in the Continuums weren't they? BTW I loved them! I can't afford $1k for drivers. But if I wanna go with a sub then that is the only way to compete.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: New category for designs at the MWAF

                              Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                              I just started typing a hard hitting reply post about how I felt about how the Dayton class at MWAF should be Dayton ONLY drivers... then a really strong conviction came over me. So I deleted that post entirely.

                              What hit me was: Gee? Why do I enjoy learning about speaker design? Why do I get MDF dust in my hair/ears? Why do I spend money on measurement equipment? Why do I spend countless hours thinking about my current/next speaker projects? Why am I taking a vacation day next Friday and more importantly time away from my wife and kids to attend a speaker workshop? Is it to win a speaker contest? Is it to win a $*** prize? Is it to gain approval from other people I may or may not know or ever meet?

                              Not knocking anyone who is into that, but this hobby for me will never be about that.

                              Oh Boy!!!! I may have just alienated myself from this forum :(
                              Craig, not from me brother. DIY for the sake of DIY.
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X