but I was flipping through channels and saw one where the guy
    had every room filled with garbage and they found vintage speakers
    and about 5000 LPs. I think they let him keep the LPs but I'm pretty
    sure that a set of Large Advents and other speakers went in the
    dumpster, LOL!

Classic speaker collecting is not junk!

Re: Hoarder on TV Has Old Speakers and LPs

that's a lot of LP's!
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I have about 3000 used LP's either ready to sell, being cleaned to sell, or being sorted for trash or to be cleaned right now. If my time was worth anything, I'm not making 10 cents an hour I guess, but on days I can't do much else, I drag a milk crate of them in front of my chair, listen to some tunes or the tube and sort thru them. As fast as I can clean Beach Boys LP's they sell at the indoor Flea Market space my friend has. We split the sales 50-50. If I had the space and capital, buying and repairing 1970's stereo amp/receivers (Pioneers, Yammies, etc.) is a goldmine. Go to Goodwill or the Salvation Army Store and pick-up a semi-working one for $5-25, clean it, fix the lights, maybe the PS caps and turn it for $100-500 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
        ...... If I had the space and capital, buying and repairing 1970's stereo amp/receivers (Pioneers, Yammies, etc.) is a goldmine. Go to Goodwill or the Salvation Army Store and pick-up a semi-working one for $5-25, clean it, fix the lights, maybe the PS caps and turn it for $100-500 or more.
        Hey Whit, do you have any experience repairing old Yammy cassette decks? Or sources for take up reel motors? A friend has one he suspects the motor may be dead.

Thanks,
        Marv

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
          OK hoarder shows were a curiosity to me after seeing one or two,
          but I was flipping through channels and saw one where the guy
          had every room filled with garbage and they found vintage speakers
          and about 5000 LPs. I think they let him keep the LPs but I'm pretty
          sure that a set of Large Advents and other speakers went in the
          dumpster, LOL!

Classic speaker collecting is not junk!
          Well said. An audiophile friend of mine has a nice collection of classic speakers including Allison, Altec, ADS, B&O, Marantz, KLH,KEF,Phase Tech, etc. While this video is a sample of the sound of his latest acquisition-B&O S-45-2, you can see in the background many classic speakers. The large Altec "Voice of the Theater" A-7's are truely satisfying!!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kmHV...ature=youtu.be

Comment

I have a pair of the A/D/S speakers he shows there. One tweeter is shot but can't seem to part with them. I'm thinking about rebuilding them with new drivers. Might be a little difficult as far as the cutouts go though. I may just try to replace the tweeters with a different pair.

Comment

Marvin, try Joe's Radio.com. Sadly, the better the cassette deck or DAT, the harder it is to get parts now in the US. The Japanese home market has sucked the entire World spare part's (and used inventory) up. The Pioneer US model CT-F1050 three head three motor (Euro or Asian market model) sells in Japan for $3000+ today. Fostex's and TASCAM's you can name your price for, working or not. All the Sharp and Sanyo cassette, DAT and turntable spare parts that were in a warehouse in SoCal are now in Australia, and they won't export them to the US. Yashica/Yamaha doesn't sell cameras in the US anymore either. Not everybody in the World is falling all over themselves to sell their products in the US anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X