Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

    for those that have heard them or used them, what are your thoughts? magic? overrated? Is there anything else that sounds similar out there?

  • #2
    Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

    Originally posted by frangus View Post
    for those that have heard them or used them, what are your thoughts? magic? overrated? Is there anything else that sounds similar out there?
    There is no magic - with any drivers. It is a very good tweeter. The Hiq has very flat response and wide dispersion, and distortion if low as well.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

      Heard and used them four times over the past several years. They are really very good. My favorite actually. I've been hoping to find a favorite that is not quite so costly.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

        Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
        There is no magic - with any drivers. It is a very good tweeter. The Hiq has very flat response and wide dispersion, and distortion if low as well.
        And CSD looks very good too for the OWI.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

          Maynardg, which one is your favorite of the different types? The OWI seems to get good press..

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

            I have used OW-I and OW-II. I know I cannot hear a difference between OW-I and OW-II. They have absolutely the same characteristic Hiq sound. OW-II is more efficient. If I was buying today, I would buy OW-II, for the slight boost in efficiency.

            Jeff B wrote a review a few years ago, but the models may have changed a bit since then. He reported a headache trying to resolve the sound differences.

            http://www.ellisaudio.com/hiqcomments.htm

            Ten years ago, some said Hiqs were difficult to work with. I don't think any more than any other tweeter.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

              Are they on par with the SB 29? comparison?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

                Originally posted by jimbones View Post
                Are they on par with the SB 29? comparison?
                I don't yet have a side-by-side but I have both. The difference in dispersion is probably the most audible assuming you have the hearing above 15kHz to really notice it. I'm using the OW1 in my current effort (the Nebbiolo) and, while it's not magic, it can sure seem like it is if you're not knee-deep in all the data and hear one for the first time - especially compared against lesser tweeters. I've crossed the SB29 pretty low, so the relative differences in the Ansonica vs the Nebbiolo is probably greater than just the tweeter comparison.

                In the end I would choose one over the other entirely based on how low I wanted to cross.

                C
                diVine Audio

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

                  I've heard the Hiq's in the coveted 2-way high-end speaker, the Ensemble Reference. It was made in Switzerland by Pawel Acoustics. Very nice. Evidently were used as alternates to the more common SS 3/4 inch dome that was paired with the now famous Gorlich woofer.
                  Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

                    I used the OWIIs in my Amaroso speakers that won 1st in the Dayton Audio category at MWAF this year. I got this used pair of tweeters from Maynard, BTW. I really like them and they play very nicely with the Neo8 midrange planars.
                    Paul

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

                      To my ears, it's not just that they measure well. In my experience, the FR isn't exactly perfectly flat... there are some wiggles in there. But the wiggles it does have are in just the right places. Cymbals come across eerily lifelike, not at all splashy, and you can hear the decay much longer than most other tweeters (that's what cymbals actually sound like). Again, to the "wiggles in the right places" comment, if used right, they can image frighteningly well.

                      The SB29 is similar to the XT25. And both are reliable, and measure very flat. But they just aren't as "musical" as the Hiquphons; and that may be due to the "wiggles in the right places," but so be it.
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

                      Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

                        My hearing is not so good above 15K. I XO at 2700hz on the SB.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

                          Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                          To my ears, it's not just that they measure well. In my experience, the FR isn't exactly perfectly flat... there are some wiggles in there. But the wiggles it does have are in just the right places. Cymbals come across eerily lifelike, not at all splashy, and you can hear the decay much longer than most other tweeters (that's what cymbals actually sound like). Again, to the "wiggles in the right places" comment, if used right, they can image frighteningly well.

                          The SB29 is similar to the XT25. And both are reliable, and measure very flat. But they just aren't as "musical" as the Hiquphons; and that may be due to the "wiggles in the right places," but so be it.
                          Hi Paul,

                          In your "untitled" project with the SS15W8530 and OWIII you said you would build your own version of these but with the OWI instead. Any reason for not using the OWII or the updated OW3? Did you ever get around to building your own pair?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

                            Originally posted by frangus View Post
                            Hi Paul,

                            In your "untitled" project with the SS15W8530 and OWIII you said you would build your own version of these but with the OWI instead. Any reason for not using the OWII or the updated OW3? Did you ever get around to building your own pair?



                            yup. They're all done. Just finished them last week, actually. Now I'm working on the write up.
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

                            Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Hiquphon tweeters - who's heard them?

                              Originally posted by jimbones View Post
                              My hearing is not so good above 15K. I XO at 2700hz on the SB.
                              Unless that's 1st order, I know I'd opt for the Hiq in that spot (assuming the budget isn't an issue)

                              To my ear the SB is better below ~3k than the XT25 but I've not used the latter - not having worked with it, that may be unrelated to the driver itself.
                              diVine Audio

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X