Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94mm Faceplate Tweeters

Hey guys,

As some of you know, I acquired maynardg's Malbec cabinets recently. First thought is, I'll need way better tools and a lot more experience to ever hope to put cabinets like that together. Kudos, Maynard!

Second thought: the tweeter cutout is 94mm, and I'm having a little difficulty finding a decent, reasonably priced, 94mm flange tweeter. I found a couple of Morels, the MDT29 and CAT378, but I've not heard of builds with these, so they might be a crapshoot. Still, if they're good they might fill the bill.

So. Anyone have recommendations for good, relatively low cost (call it 75 bucks and down) 94mm flange tweeters? Links will be handy if you can provide them.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Re: 94mm Faceplate Tweeters

vifa dx19 and xt19. i really like the dx19 and can cross at 2.7k lr4
    Brad
    piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Mark, before I forget, send me an email or something reminding me to dig through my stash, I may have something for you.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Just a thought that any tweeter that you can change the face plate you could make your own face plate to fit. Dave Pellegrene probably has one for the RS28.

You could always hot glue a block behind the opening an reroute the hole a few mm.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
          Hey guys,

As some of you know, I acquired maynardg's Malbec cabinets recently. First thought is, I'll need way better tools and a lot more experience to ever hope to put cabinets like that together. Kudos, Maynard!

Second thought: the tweeter cutout is 94mm, and I'm having a little difficulty finding a decent, reasonably priced, 94mm flange tweeter. I found a couple of Morels, the MDT29 and CAT378, but I've not heard of builds with these, so they might be a crapshoot. Still, if they're good they might fill the bill.

So. Anyone have recommendations for good, relatively low cost (call it 75 bucks and down) 94mm flange tweeters? Links will be handy if you can provide them.

Thanks in advance!

Mark
          I compared the Morel MDT29 to the RS28f, xt19, and SS HDS. It was the best of the lot to my ears.

Comment

If you can xover high enough, the XT19 gets my vote.
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

IIRC, Mark Kraweic's tests on the XT19 indicated crossing at 2.5 kHz was very doable (I don't remember what order he recommended, though). I also don't know how identical the current XT19 is to the one Mark tested quite a few years ago. In my cenTiLanas, Pete Schumacher crossed at ~3.2 kHz from the RS52.
              Paul

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              If you can xover high enough, the XT19 gets my vote.
              Wolf

Comment

Check your email, Mr. Miller.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                  IIRC, Mark Kraweic's tests on the XT19 indicated crossing at 2.5 kHz was very doable (I don't remember what order he recommended, though). I also don't know how identical the current XT19 is to the one Mark tested quite a few years ago. In my cenTiLanas, Pete Schumacher crossed at ~3.2 kHz from the RS52.
                  Paul
                  It's still not an Usher or RS28, so that is my reasoning for saying what I did. I've always heard it was better 3k+.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Just so there's no misunderstanding, Wolf, I didn't quote you to mean I was disagreeing with you. Only wanted to share my knowledge and experience. I do question, though, if the current XT19 that's available is identical to the original version with respect to all performance abilities because the original one performed and sounded well above its "pay grade".
                    Paul

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    It's still not an Usher or RS28, so that is my reasoning for saying what I did. I've always heard it was better 3k+.
                    Later,
                    Wolf

Comment

Just so there's no misunderstanding, Wolf, I didn't quote you to mean I was disagreeing with you. Only wanted to share my knowledge and experience. I do question, though, if the current XT19 that's available is identical to the original version with respect to all performance abilities because the original one performed and sounded well above its "pay grade".
                      Paul
                      I just thought you were questioning my usage of 'xover high enough', so I clarified.
                      No disagreement was entertained.
                      Later,
                      Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by frangus View Post
                        I compared the Morel MDT29 to the RS28f, xt19, and SS HDS. It was the best of the lot to my ears.
                        I guess it's a matter of opinion, but being familiar with all of those drivers I would not put the MDT29 in the same class as the other tweeters you listed. The CAT308 I would though.
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I do question, though, if the current XT19 that's available is identical to the original version with respect to all performance abilities because the original one performed and sounded well above its "pay grade".
                          Agreed. There have been (still are?) several versions of the XT19 and it is important to know which one to consider. I have original XT19s from way back that have the 94mm faceplate, use the standard magnet, not neodymium, have the small chamber over the vent opening and are, I think, probably superior to the other versions. I tested and examined (i.e. destroyed) one of the smaller, cheaper ones. Not anything I would use at all.

That version of the XT19 is essentially the equivalent of the OW1 when crossed 3K LR2 IMO. I had to substitute the XT19s when the OW1s were blown while testing with the digital filter in an older version of SoundEasy and lived with them as replacement for quite some time.

dlr
                          WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                            I guess it's a matter of opinion, but being familiar with all of those drivers I would not put the MDT29 in the same class as the other tweeters you listed. The CAT308 I would though.
                            I thought the mdt 29 was the same tweeter as the mdt30s with a smaller face plate but I stand corrected. It does have different specs and no rear chamber. sorry about the confusion.

Comment

Morel MDT 12 1-1/8" Neodymium Tweeter
                              No matter where you go, there you are.
                              Website

Comment

Working...
                              X