#20 hook-up wire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #20 hook-up wire ?

Found some old spools of Belden "8919" hook up wire in my Dad's basement. When I Googled them (to see what they were worth), I stumbled onto this: http://www.excessparts.net/8919_100_...9-100-blue.htm

This is a 100' spool of 20 gauge hookup wire for $0.07 per spool.
    Just for fun, I simmed a checkout with 360 spools (to meet the $25 min.) going UPS Ground.

The TOTAL (for 36,000' of #20 - INCLUDING shipping) came in at under $44. That's 12 cents per 100' spool.
    The thing is, they only have 967 spools left.

Thought someone might be interested (even PE)?

Re: #20 hook-up wire ?

Is it possible that the listed price is per foot or inch of that wire and not per spool?

Comment

It's 49 dollars a spool new at Allied.

Comment

If that price is correct, could we potentially arrange a group buy? I know I'd be interested in quite a few spools, I go through hook-up wire like crazy!

Comment

I can't see any reason why that price wouldn't be honored at that site (except, of course, for logic).
          The wire is all blue (IIRC), but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a problem with that. If you can arrange a group buy, I guess I'd take 8 spools (800') for $1 (and I'll throw in an extra $ for your trouble, AND I'll drive down to Oshkosh to pick it up). That should last me a while.

Comment

I just got s shipping quote for 10 to nc. Total was under $13

Comment

On monday I'll call and confirm that price is for the entire spool, but if it is correct (which it should be), I will try and get a group buy together. I'll let everyone know how if I get one going!

Comment

It could be fifty years old.

Comment

Yeah, I think it COULD be. The spools I found in my Dad's basement were from back when he worked for "Ma Bell" about 40 years ago. The wire still looks nice though.

Comment

My dad worked for AT&T also, I still have some pliers marked "Bell System Property".

Comment

Yup, he was really proud that he was retired longer than he worked there (30 years, by 53). His "lineman's" belt, chock full of stuff: dikes, needle-nose, screwdrivers (some were STANLEY), cable shears. Old wooden boxes with "Western Electric". I've even got an old telegraph key and sounder, and a wooden switchboard stool.

Comment

Something tells me it's a price mistake and they won't honor it. Just a hunch.
                        1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                        2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Originally posted by doctormorbius View Post
                          Something tells me it's a price mistake and they won't honor it. Just a hunch.
                          That's what I'm thinking too, but it's definitely worth giving them a call on Monday to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by bdiermeier View Post
                            That's what I'm thinking too, but it's definitely worth giving them a call on Monday to find out.
                            DON'T CALL!! It may alert someone to the price. Let the people in the warehouse package it and ship it out. It may slip by unnoticed.
                            1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                            2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

That's GOT to be a mistake. I get more than that for salvage wire at the recycling plant, and they would too. Shoot, I get more for 1/2 HP and up electric motors per pound than that for the copper in them, and copper is "down" from early this year. Cat-cons and CRT tubes are WAY-up right now down here.

Comment

Working...
                              X