Modeling Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling Help

Can anyone assist me in modeling a SEAS prestige H1208? Madisound recommends a vented box of 1.0 cubic foot with a 2" diameter vent by 6" long for an F3 of 35Hz. According to Unibox, that will not work. Port noise is astronomical. I may not be entering something correctly though. Can anyone take a look at this and verify? Im looking for it to play up to 500-700hz or so. It definitly looks like a beast of a driver with a nice Xmax of 14mm.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...m-cone-woofer/

Re: Modeling Help

You are correct that a 2" diameter port in that alignment will have high peak velocity. It would probably cause port compression and change the FR of the alignment. It may or may not be audible as far as port noise/chuffing.

A 3" vent diameter 13.5" long will help bring the velocity more in line when modelled at 125 watts. The other thing I would mention is that the 14mm xmax is peak to peak. It is 7mm one way.

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
    Can anyone assist me in modeling a SEAS prestige H1208? Madisound recommends a vented box of 1.0 cubic foot with a 2" diameter vent by 6" long for an F3 of 35Hz. According to Unibox, that will not work. Port noise is astronomical. I may not be entering something correctly though. Can anyone take a look at this and verify? Im looking for it to play up to 500-700hz or so. It definitly looks like a beast of a driver with a nice Xmax of 14mm.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...m-cone-woofer/
    Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

Originally posted by lorenmjones View Post
      You are correct that a 2" diameter port in that alignment will have high peak velocity. It would probably cause port compression and change the FR of the alignment. It may or may not be audible as far as port noise/chuffing.

A 3" vent diameter 13.5" long will help bring the velocity more in line when modelled at 125 watts. The other thing I would mention is that the 14mm xmax is peak to peak. It is 7mm one way.
      Ok so a 1cuft enclosure with a 3" vent, 13.5" long will tune the box to what, and have an f3 of what?

Comment

The 2 inch port worked fine for me. What's your design SPL?
        Attached Files
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Fb of 35, F3 at 35. That smallish box with this driver and that tuning does give a bit of a hump in the response above tuning but it isn't much.

I would mention that this driver looks pretty good in 60 liters with Fb around 24 (EBS type alignment). It has adequate xmax to take the 125w thermal power rating and it digs very deep with F3 around 23.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EBS Seas H1208.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1154535

Jholander, I think ameuba10 and I were both modelling at higher power. I was at 125w, the rated thermal limit of the driver. But your point is well taken. If you cut the power by 6db to something more realistic for home listening then you have no problems with vent velocity.

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
          Ok so a 1cuft enclosure with a 3" vent, 13.5" long will tune the box to what, and have an f3 of what?
          Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

Although I would love for these to dig down to 23hz, I just dont have the space for it. Im honestly pushing it now at 1cuft. Im currently looking at putting them in PE premade "1cuft MTM" cabs along with an aura whisper in an 8" waveguide that dave has been so graciously testing out for me. I still believe an f3 of 35 is pleasing. How well do these model in a .5cuft enclosure? I tried that and had difficulty with port length. Again, it may and probably is, due to inexperience on my part.

Comment

Lowering the FB can also decrease the port velocity if you're playing around in unibox
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

So how well do they model in .5cuft?

Comment

IMO seems a waste to go much smaller that 1 cube, might consider a smaller driver. .5 cubes is F3 of 46...
                  John H

Comment

Both in the mid 30s. Xmax @ about 70w down in that range. 2"vent shows 135 fps (which I think is over Mach 0.10). 3x14 should work. 2-1/2" would also be a good option.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                      Both in the mid 30s. Xmax @ about 70w down in that range. 2"vent shows 135 fps (which I think is over Mach 0.10). 3x14 should work. 2-1/2" would also be a good option.
                      I can achieve mid 30's in .5cuft? If so, that'll be the route I take for sure

Comment

No, THIS is the 1.0 cf thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                          No, THIS is the 1.0 cf thread.
                          I dont know if that was sarcasm, but i was mislead when you said "both."

Comment

Non intended. I meant both Fb and F3.

Comment

Working...
                            X