Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVR from the antenna question

Hey guys.
    Mrs.R likes to watch a game on TV but has been busy with work lately. So, she is missing the games and not happy about it.
    We do have cable but internet (around 20mgbt) only and I wasn't looking to subscribe to any additional services. TV reception is just over the air through rabbit ears.
    Any recommendations on DVR box so she could record a game and watch it later.
    Thanks in advance.

it was a question not questi :rolleyes:
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Re: DVR from the antenna questi

A Tivo is the most straight forward setup but it costs a monthly fee. Another path would be to get an HDhomerun box which will connect to your antenna and your home network. You can then watch and record TV on any computer in your house. I use Windows Media Center to do this. To watch it on your TV you just need to output from that computer to the TV.

Comment

Windows media center with a USB tuner. I run my whole house of media center. If you have windows 7, its already installed, takes about 15 minutes to set up
      Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
      Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Comment

If you have an old PC with a Gig or two of memory and a tuner card, you could also do Ubuntu Linux and XBMC for free. It's very easy to set up and use.

Otherwise, you could always buy season tickets to the NJ Devils for you and the Misses instead! ;)

Comment

So nik, I'm not really familiar with MC (although we just got an hp notebook with Win8), and WE use rabbit ears for local stations (GB is about 30 miles away). Does MC have provisions for setting up to switch channels and record predetermined blocks of time? Would Googling "Media Center" be the best way to learn setup and how it works?

Comment

I think this will take care of your needs:

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DV...tm?Click=32509

Hong
            Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
            ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
            LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
            Sonata Soundbar Project
            The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

if you have windows 8, you may want to look into another DVR software, such as Beyond TC 4.9, or jriver media center. Both these cost money, but to add media center to a windows 8 pc, you first have to upgrade to win 8 pro for 100$, then purchase the media center add on for 10$. Its stupid.

If you get a hauppauge tv tuner, it comes with some ok software, or it you get one used, you can buy the software for 10$. All of these options have a channel guide, dvr capability, can use a media center remote, etc.

Warning, if the show id HD over the air, it can use 2-3 gigs per hour for high quality recording ( atleast in media center). So a sporting even could go over 10 gig, you can delete after you watch. If you want to get fancy, you can download MCEbuddy. It can scan the recording, remove commercials, and even change the file type and move the file if needed. I use it to pull off shows off my PC and send them to my other computer with a ton of space
              Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
              Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Comment

I have this.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-H...320GB/20710260

Get my TV over-the-air and the Magnavox DVD/HDD recorder works great. Works like an old school VCR but with LOTS more storage (hundreds of hours). Note it is SD, not HD, but with the upscaling the picture is very good.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-function...=dtv+converter
                  just picked this up for my in laws for some old SD tv they have. looks like it will do HD and could be a nice tool for those who still use vcrs as the tapes become scare as my in laws do and teach them about the newer formats.

Comment

Thanks for info gentleman.
                    I found an easy resolve. My new plasma TV which replaced a very old Glass tube is "smart". All I need to do is add HDD and connect it through USB on the TV set. Then program and done. While playing with the settings I set my home network so the TV, laptop and desktop are connected. All good! I'll pick up a TB HDD sometime next week.

I did call TiVo before actually reading instruction to the TV.
                    Tivo did not have anything without monthly charge. Even then the signal is pulled of the airwaves, they want to charge $14 a month for .....get ready.....drum roll.........."guide" So I was a bit puzzled and the rep wasn't able to explain why I should pay $14 for the freely available info. His answer was: "this is what we do"

Oh: Mrs.R is a fan of Denver Broncos

Comment

Good choice! :D

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                        Thanks for info gentleman.
                        I found an easy resolve. My new plasma TV which replaced a very old Glass tube is "smart". All I need to do is add HDD and connect it through USB on the TV set. Then program and done. While playing with the settings I set my home network so the TV, laptop and desktop are connected. All good! I'll pick up a TB HDD sometime next week.

I did call TiVo before actually reading instruction to the TV.
                        Tivo did not have anything without monthly charge. Even then the signal is pulled of the airwaves, they want to charge $14 a month for .....get ready.....drum roll.........."guide" So I was a bit puzzled and the rep wasn't able to explain why I should pay $14 for the freely available info. His answer was: "this is what we do"

Oh: Mrs.R is a fan of Denver Broncos
                        Wait...you just attach a hard drive to the TV via USB, and you can record over the air TV shows? What model TV do you have? You just have to program the TV when to record? If this is true, that is great. I recently canceled cable, but I have no good way to record OTA TV shows.
                        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Originally posted by john trials View Post
                          Wait...you just attach a hard drive to the TV via USB, and you can record over the air TV shows? What model TV do you have? You just have to program the TV when to record? If this is true, that is great. I recently canceled cable, but I have no good way to record OTA TV shows.
                          Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST60 55-Inch 1080p 600Hz 3D Smart Plasma
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vakcWDHFeQY

the recording tutorial starts at 1;43

now, I haven't done it yet but based on the description it should be very easy. I did connect it to home network and can access all my photo and video files on both computers through the TV set (TV had to be allowed through control panel on both computers as a acceptable devise).

Comment

I'll have to check this out (I haven't watched the video yet). Thanks for the info. I bought a Panasonic TC-P50S60 about 5 months ago, so I hope I can record with it. That would be so cool (and simple, and cheap compared to a DVR). I never bothered to figure out what DLNA was. The user manual is horrible. It tells absolutely nothing. I already have a USB HD, so hopefully I can test this out with no added expenses (I've been unemployed for almost two years now). This could be the best Xmas present of all!!!!

Comment

My TV has the DLNA, but the remote doesn't have a record button, so I don't think this will work for me, unless there is a way to record using a screen menu, or Freesat. Still searching for a way to record TV inexpensively! That video skips a lot of steps and information. They show the use of Freesat, but don't say how to load it onto the TV (or is this accessed through DLNA from the computer?...because at the beginning of the video they tell how to configure Windows Media Center for sharing).

R-Carpenter, please let me know if (and how) you get this to work on your TV.

Edit: Blimey! I just looked up Freesat, and it is for the UK, not the USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X