• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10G40 MLTL, Transducer Labs N26Cx-A/ Pellegrene waveguide

I will 45 the baffle along those lines.

Comment

I'd be really curious to know more about the line's dimensions in this ML-TL as the box seems to be so small as to not allow much of a line length (assuming the line isn't folded). From your posted modeling graphs it appears the system is tuned to around 50 Hz which suggests a pretty short line with a fairly high 1/4-wave resonant frequency, meaning the system is primarily tuned by the port's dimensions and very little by the line. Still by using Martin's modeling software you will be able to find the optimum location for the port. Please don't take anything I've said as negative criticism.
      Paul

Comment

42" long, 12" wide, expanding from 4"-8". The port is 1.5" radius with a 2" length. Driver is 10.75" from beginning. The expanding line gives me little boost down low that is tempered with the port length. It gets me an F3 into the high 40's with a decent roll off. I am actually a little worried that bass is too much. Just guessing at this point until measurements. I could not get similar results with winisd in a similar box, but then again, I had the beta version and could not alter port parameters. Any help is appreciated. I am learning and stepping out of what little modeling I have done into the real world.

Comment

buzzforb,

Good to see you on this forum!!! I am very interested in following your threads. I believe we have largely similar preferences when it comes to audio.

Comment

Pete or Dave,
            When using waveguides, the crossover network used, flattens out the boost gained by the introduction of the waveguide. How would you describe this network and is it possible with an active crossover? I am new to this and have always used the minidsp. While passive is an option, I would like the option of a discrete active crossover.

Comment

A 6 dB crossover up higher than you normally would be will add to the natural steeper waveguide/horn loading, flatten the FR, and combine to make a steep acoustic filter.

Comment

Looking forward to the results of this build!!

Been eyeing these woofers myself. Beyma has some nice 8s and 10s.

Don't know about using a single L to shape the rolloff. IT might look good on paper but many woofers come back up a few octaves above the crossover and introduce "yacky" sounds. I like the 2118 and some guys run that wide open or with simple filters. I find it needs a third order at 2K to clean up nice.

The SB 29s might make a nice match.

Comment

Mic comes tomorrow, so the measuring will begin....if the weather cooperates.

Is it wise to put a cap across the tweeter when testing?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzforb View Post
                    Mic comes tomorrow, so the measuring will begin....if the weather cooperates.

Is it wise to put a cap across the tweeter when testing?
                    Only on ribbons as far as I've been told. Unless you plan to really crank them up. I usually measure in the 85 db range at 1 meter. Distortion I'll go a little higher and if I want to get up above 90 dbs I'll put a cap or DSP the bottom end.

Dave
                    http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
                    https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

Thanks Dave. The Raal's were snatched up by somebody else...unfortunately.

Comment

Still tweaking

Click image for larger version

Name:	try 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1155559

Comment

Here are soe individual shot of the elements ran wide open as well as final choice for tonight.

Name:	tweeter-no filter.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1155561

Name:	woofer wide open.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1155562

Name:	day2 final.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1155563

Comment

How do they sound?

Dave
                            http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
                            https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

Sound good, but have a lots more potential. Wish I had a little more boost on the bottom end of the waveguide as I believe it would give me a slightly lower XO point. A 6dB highpass at about12K gives me an uber flat response, but also want to naturally cross at about 2.5K. This is the main reason for purchasing the AT woofer, as it will do this in a very atural way as well(if i guessed correctly. 2.5K is just too high for the Beyma for no other reason than beaming. It has the extension, but does not blend well. Right now the tweeter has a LR12 at 4K with a shelving filter to bring the top end up. It crosses to the beyma in the 1.7K range. My big battle is with the Beyma. I need to go outside a nd get a better measurement. The slow rolloff from 250-800 is making things hard to tune. The only other issue is the 2k spike. I have it notched out. All and all, pretty pleased with the progress. I want to get FRD files made so I can play with passive design. Hopefully this weekend. Just trying to see its potential with active.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzforb View Post
                                Sound good, but have a lots more potential. Wish I had a little more boost on the bottom end of the waveguide as I believe it would give me a slightly lower XO point. A 6dB highpass at about12K gives me an uber flat response, but also want to naturally cross at about 2.5K. This is the main reason for purchasing the AT woofer, as it will do this in a very atural way as well(if i guessed correctly. 2.5K is just too high for the Beyma for no other reason than beaming. It has the extension, but does not blend well. Right now the tweeter has a LR12 at 4K with a shelving filter to bring the top end up. It crosses to the beyma in the 1.7K range. My big battle is with the Beyma. I need to go outside a nd get a better measurement. The slow rolloff from 250-800 is making things hard to tune. The only other issue is the 2k spike. I have it notched out. All and all, pretty pleased with the progress. I want to get FRD files made so I can play with passive design. Hopefully this weekend. Just trying to see its potential with active.
                                Get a little creative with the crossover. Based on the profile of that raw response, you should be able to cross over at 1500Hz. You'll need to go to a 2nd order HP filter that also features a RCL compensation network.
                                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Working...
                                X