Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10G40 MLTL, Transducer Labs N26Cx-A/ Pellegrene waveguide

Originally posted by buzzforb View Post
    I think you are right on this as i noticed some hash when trying this on one Xover attempt. As wierd as it may seem, I think FR drivers have ruined me for this type of speaker. While things are blending pretty good, i cant say i would want to live with this speaker. I dont like the crossover in this region and hope to try the AT today. With it, i will be able to push the crossover up to the 2.5-3K region. See how i like it. The Beyma is a great midbass speaker. Really nice snap and punch to it, but this seem to carry over in a not so good way to violens and other stringed instruments. May be the implementation. I bet if used in a sealed box crossed to a SEOS, it might be really nice, as you could push the crossover down further. It has the extension to go higher, i just dont like the sound on a longer term basis. As for the TL labs tweeter. I have zero complaints. I have heard details out of this tweeter that i have not heard on any other that I have listened to. I can say it is on the level of ribbons i have heard. Speaker building is tough
    You'll like the AT, but keep the crossover down where you have it. Letting that excellent tweeter handle as much work as possible is a worthy goal. If you can set up a crossover like the one I posted it should allow the 1500Hz XO point.

Instead of using the AT in place of the Beyma, think about adding it to the mix and use it as a mid from 300Hz to 2000Hz.

Your assessment of the qualities of that TL N26 mirrors my own. It's a very resolving little dome.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

exactly the plan. THe Beyma can be pretty flat to 200-300 with a nice slow roll-off below 50Hz. F10 is in the low 30's and F3 is mid 40's in a 1 cubic feet and move more air than most 8" available that can achieve same SPL.

Comment

With that size guide, 7x5, I always seem to end up closer to 2.0kHz before I think it sounds right. Might be different with the N26C but with other tweeters I try to cross in the 1.6 kHz range I always end up moving them up.

Dave
        http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
        https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

7 x 5. I am wanting to move the crossover up, just as you and Pete suggest. The Beyma can do 2K, it just doesn't blend well.

Comment

I was just thinking about how much difference it might make using the tweeter/ waveguide combo in a system that is 82-84 dbs sensitive vs. 88-92 dbs. In the lower sensitivity system the tweeter is not working as hard and you can get away with a lower crossover vs the high sensitivity system your pushing the tweeter harder so at higher SPL's it might get harsh. I suppose that would be easy enough to test with a distortion test.

This might have something to do with the fact I find it sounds better to crossover slightly above the cut off of the waveguide.

Or maybe I'm just making things up.

I am getting ready to work up a new guide using the TB75-1558 with an optional tweeter combo guide. I'm getting ready to purchase the Eminence Deltalite II 2512 to cross with the TB75. Hopefully I'll be able to swap out tweeters using the same mold with just a throat adjustment.

Dave
            http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
            https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

If I cross the AT to a woofer like the Beyma or AE TD series, should be able to keep the sensitivity up in the 87-88 range.

Comment

HEre are the two options. More and more I am leaning towards the 2 way. If I love the sound, I will probably do a 3 way with the 18-I version of he C Quenze, the newer releases of the TL tweeter, and some yet un-named woofer, probably a TD10.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker option.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1155628

Comment

The a attachment isn't showing up. It's just a blank white square.
                  -Kerry

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker option.png
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	1155637

Comment

Working...
                    X