CD/DVD player digital output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD/DVD player digital output

Does a cd/dvd player do anything for the sound if I'm using a digital out?
    I mean , is it worth to spend more in a cd/dvd player ,especially for music reproduction?
    THX

Re: CD/DVD player digital output

Originally posted by abn1701 View Post
    Does a cd/dvd player do anything for the sound if I'm using a digital out?
    I mean , is it worth to spend more in a cd/dvd player ,especially for music reproduction?
    THX
    There are still better transports and better error correction firmware at the digital level, but for the most part, most of the sound quality comes from the digital to analog stage. As long as you have a decent player and a good DAC you will be fine.

I use the digital out on my TV to an external DAC and then to my receiver and music from my TV even sounds really good. I often use this set-up to listen to the TV through some Sennheiser HD600's or Beyerdynamic Custom Ones and the sound quality is excellent.

Jeff
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I agree with Jeff and I'll add that price doesn't always indicate an audible difference in SQ of the D/A and low-level output stages. Years ago I had a cheap Sony player that sounded as good as most any high-end player provided I by-passed the variable level output (essentially a volume control).
      "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
        I agree with Jeff and I'll add that price doesn't always indicate an audible difference in SQ of the D/A and low-level output stages. Years ago I had a cheap Sony player that sounded as good as most any high-end player provided I by-passed the variable level output (essentially a volume control).
        You're right. I picked up one of these:
        http://www.parts-express.com/topping...n-dac--310-332

Do a little research on the Burr-Brown (TI) PCM1793 DAC chip and OPA2134 opamp and you will find them in some very expensive CD players, even some costing as much as $5k. I think it sounds excellent. In digital, price is not everything.
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
          Do a little research on the Burr-Brown (TI) PCM1793 DAC chip and OPA2134 opamp and you will find them in some very expensive CD players, even some costing as much as $5k. I think it sounds excellent. In digital, price is not everything.
          Around $5 and $3 respectively in single quantities from Mouser. :D

Comment

Wish I could solder tinyass SMD devices, would love to build my own.....

PCM1793

Comment

I say this with all the confidence of someone who hasn't done it yet.... but... it doesn't seem that hard.

You need good light, good magnification, and a good set of tweezers (my lady bought me a Wiha starter kit for Christmas.) You can get a solder paste stencil with your PCBs from a lot of fab houses, or syringe your own. The EEV Blog on YouTube has a good video about taking advantage of solder masking to just drag your iron across the pins and having them wick the solder in place. You don't have to be that accurate. Or, for the resistors and whatnot, you might be better off using a skillet or toaster oven for reflow. A PID controller helps with the latter, but a multimeter and thermocouple probe can do the job.

Given how much time I spend stuffing and soldering through-hole parts, I'm starting to think it would be quite a bit easier. Not to mention the benefits of not having to route around all those holes in the PCB. (I have a bad habit of designing dense layouts. If I have enough room left over for a single 3mm LED anywhere on the PCB, it's a friggin miracle.)

Comment

Originally posted by tc View Post
                Wish I could solder tinyass SMD devices, would love to build my own.....
                Yup, me too.

Comment

My problem is that I shake like a dog p00ping a peach seed.

Comment

My problem is that I shake like a dog p00ping a peach seed.
                    For home stereo duty, I'd be happy to use a solderless breadboard. I wonder if there are any good DACs in a DIP package?

Comment

not to sound like an idiot but what advantage does something like this have over a receiver? or is this for analog only receivers, like my old pioneers? and is this more advantageous than using a head phone out from a laptop? sorry for hijacking.

Comment

I have not seen any decent DAC's that are DIP packaged. If you find one, let me know....

There are some boards available on eBay that come with all the SMD stuff attached, but requires adding some through-hole stuff to complete along with the connectors and whatnot. eBay DAC Kit

Comment

Originally posted by manu et deo View Post
                          not to sound like an idiot but what advantage does something like this have over a receiver? or is this for analog only receivers, like my old pioneers? and is this more advantageous than using a head phone out from a laptop? sorry for hijacking.
                          For those of us that use laptops (or other digital servers), the audio out of the 1/8" jack stinks. A decent USB DAC makes a world of difference....even the el cheapo Fiio E7k that I am using right now. Much cleaner.

Comment

For those of us that use laptops (or other digital servers), the audio out of the 1/8" jack stinks. A decent USB DAC makes a world of difference....even the el cheapo Fiio E7k that I am using right now. Much cleaner.
                            thanks for the answer; i move my laptop around in my house to various analog setups when i want to use foobar or pandora and never gave much thought to the quality of the headphone jack, i figured it would always suck, thanks for letting me in on this secret:D

Comment

Originally posted by manu et deo View Post
                              thanks for the answer; i move my laptop around in my house to various analog setups when i want to use foobar or pandora and never gave much thought to the quality of the headphone jack, i figured it would always suck, thanks for letting me in on this secret:D
                              AJ bought a Behringer UCA202 and had good things to say about it....and they are only about $30-$40. Anything to bypass the laptop sorry excuse for an audio out works great.

Like I said, I use a Fiio E7k (about $70-$80 iirc) which is also an amplifier. I use it 80% of the time. The other 20% I use an Obective2 headphone amp. Have been very happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X